Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I have been away and it all has changed!!

bigtim1973

So I got on here again today to take a look at everyones thoughts on the Vanquish. I see it has all changed. So, I really did not know where to post this so I am going to do this here.

SO what are your thoughts on the Vanquish? Does it have a faster process than the Equinox did?

I had the 600 and it is a neat little machine.

I see the Vanquish has 4 AA batteries. I kind of like that better.

So what are some of your experiences that have used both?

I do not beach hunt so the waterproof thing is the least important.

Maybe no vanquish users here. I have a 600 and wasn’t impressed at all with the vanquish based on the ads and specs, but After selling my 800 figured the equinox 600 would still outperform the top model of the vanquish, so that’s what I got.

Maybe no vanquish users here. I have a 600 and wasn’t impressed at all with the vanquish based on the ads and specs, but After selling my 800 figured the equinox 600 would still outperform the top model of the vanquish, so that’s what I got.

Thank you for the input. I appreciate it.

Hi bigtim1973.

I have the Equinox 800, Equinox 600 and a Vanquish 440. I need multi frequency detectors due to where I hunt in moderate to bad mineralization.

The Equinox 600 is a lot more detector than any of the Vanquish models. The 600 and 800 are made to be versatile, very adjustable, are all terrain (and that means they can work successfully in any detecting situation and environment) and fully wireless and also have internal rechargeable battery operation. I didn't say the Equinox is better than any detector for a specific situation. They are in my opinion the best fully multi purpose detector available however right now for someone that wants a detector that can do just about any type of detecting very well.

The Vanquish from my experience is not as fast at recovery speed and is not as good as the Equinox at target separation. This cannot be adjusted like it can on the Equinox. Iron bias settings are very limited on the Vanquish so working in extremely thick bed of nails iron would not very enjoyable. Also, there is no user ground balance adjustment. Ground balance is done internally and the Vanquish can work well on mineralized dirt and on wet salt beach and shallow surf.

That being said, for the beginner or casual basic surface to 8" turf or beach hunter, any of the Vanquish models will do a great job. They basically have one search mode which has a few factory preset tweaks and different levels of discrimination spread out between the coin, jewelry and relic modes, nice 3 or 5 tone audio, easy to use controls and just like the Equinox-outstanding numerical and tone target ID which at least in my dirt is better than any other detectors on the market including the Etrac and CTX which suffer from depth loss here. Where the Vanquish is much better than the Equinox is in their simplicity, ergonomics and physical adjustability. They are much more adjustable for length and weight and are really fun to swing. They are easy to setup physically and are just as easy to operate. Aside from not being fully waterproof, they make an awesome, beginner, loaner, grab and go, or just have some fun detector for a very reasonable price.

Jeff

Last edited:
Hi bigtim1973.

I have the Equinox 800, Equinox 600 and a Vanquish 440. I need multi frequency detectors due to where I hunt in moderate to bad mineralization.

The Equinox 600 is a lot more detector than any of the Vanquish models. The 600 and 800 are made to be versatile, very adjustable, are all terrain (and that means they can work successfully in any detecting situation and environment) and fully wireless and also have internal rechargeable battery operation. I didn't say the Equinox is better than any detector for a specific situation. They are in my opinion the best fully multi purpose detector available however right now for someone that wants a detector that can do just about any type of detecting very well.

The Vanquish from my experience is not as fast at recovery speed and is not as good as the Equinox at target separation. This cannot be adjusted like it can on the Equinox. Iron bias settings are very limited on the Vanquish so working in extremely thick bed of nails iron would not very enjoyable. Also, there is no user ground balance adjustment. Ground balance is done internally and the Vanquish can work well on mineralized dirt and on wet salt beach and shallow surf.

That being said, for the beginner or casual basic surface to 8" turf or beach hunter, any of the Vanquish models will do a great job. They basically have one search mode which has a few factory preset tweaks and different levels of discrimination spread out between the coin, jewelry and relic modes, nice 3 or 5 tone audio, easy to use controls and just like the Equinox-outstanding numerical and tone target ID which at least in my dirt is better than any other detectors on the market including the Etrac and CTX which suffer from depth loss here. Where the Vanquish is much better than the Equinox is in their simplicity, ergonomics and physical adjustability. They are much more adjustable for length and weight and are really fun to swing. They are easy to setup physically and are just as easy to operate. Aside from not being fully waterproof, they make an awesome, beginner, loaner, grab and go, or just have some fun detector for a very reasonable price.

Jeff
Well Jeff that was a great answer to his question and you should be a Minelab sales rep

Welcome back bigtim . I hope we are as hospitable now as before. Lots of good folks here on this forum , and any kind of discussions one could hope for or not hope for . Hope some of the answers that you were given help you in your purchase of a machine. HH

Sales reps don't know half of what we know as detector users. Most manufacturer reps barely even know how to turn a detector on from my experience and certainly don't know the specs either. Some dealers know what they are doing. The stuff I see online from our forums is a little better.

Jeff

bigtim1973:
SO what are your thoughts on the Vanquish? ... I like the Vanquish 540.

I bought the first 540 Pro Pack, anticipating some of the weaknesses it might have, but with an open mind to what level of design quality, comfort and in-the-field performance it might provide. I was correct in that I found the weakness in 10-15 minutes after I had it assembled. Then I took it detecting for a week, isolated the strengths and weaknesses it had, and determined it was a good 'fit' in my Detector Outfit. The following Monday after it arrived I sent it to Minelab USA for a service tech to check out my concerns and see if they might have any way to correct a performance glitch.

After I sent it in for service, I ordered another brand new Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. Why? Because, for me and my search needs, there are a number of applications where the 540 will satisfy me with both of the search coils. I do not like to fuss around with search coil changes afield, and haven't since the latter '70s, preferring to keep each detector in my outfit with the only coil I plan to use with it mounted full-time, although there are a few exceptions and I do have some Accessory Coils, but get in that tote very seldom.

Also, I do the vast majority of my detecting using a smaller-size search coil due to the very dense trash and also building rubble, brush, etc. that is confining. For that I use a 5" to 6" diameter search coil. In fringe-areas at the old sites I search, or for some common urban Coin Hunting places where I might want to use a mid-sized coil, then I opt for something like a round 7" Concentric or an elliptical, such as a 5X8 DD or 5X9½ DD. I very seldom use a search coil larger than that except for a beach, a large open park, a plowed field or pastureland, etc. I have little use for larger coils because of my age and health limitations to handle a heavy or awkward device.

But there are exceptions and the Vanquish 540 is one of two in my Outfit that are that exception. The 540 and 9X12 DD make a very comfortable match-up for me and when I evaluated my first 540 with that coil, I was rather impressed with how long I was able to hunt without fatigue! I admit that I was mainly attracted to the looks and performance of the 5X8 DD and that's the main-use coil that will stay at-the-ready on one V-540 in my vehicle on a daily basis. I have two or three detectors that are always ready on the back seat for anything I might chance upon, and the 540 w/5X8 DD is one of them. The other 540 will keep the 9X12 attached and ready-to-grab when I want to cover a more open environment with sparse targets to deal with.

Does it have a faster process than the Equinox did? ... 'Faster process' can mean different things. The Teknetics T2 series have one of the faster 'processors' and, sometimes, can hit-and-recover very, very quickly leading one to believe they are about the best when it comes to handling a very littered site. But a 'fast processor' only goes so far because there are other factors involved, such as also handling Discriminated or rejected targets and then recovering fast-enough to then respond to an accepted target. I have a few Test Samples I use to evaluate a detector and see how 'fast' they might be, and then I test them in a challenging environment. Some fall way short of performance even though they appear to be 'fast.'

The Vanquish 540 displays a quicker response-and-recovery in the Coin mode and a slower response and recovery time in the Relic mode. Those provide a bit of performance 'edge' for hunting in a high-target area compared with performance for a more open area where masking targets are minimal and better detection depth can be achieved. The Jewelry mode is a quicker response, more like the Coin mode, but with some characteristics of the Relic mode.

I see the Vanquish has 4 AA batteries. I kind of like that better. ... I definitely like that. The 540 comes with 4-AA NiMH rechargeable batteries and charger, and I keep 4-AA alkaline batteries on-hand when I am out detecting just in case the rechargeable batteries trail off before I'm finished detecting. I like that option.

So what are some of your experiences that have used both? ... I haven't owned an Equinox 600 or 800, and one reason is I tried a couple my friends use and I didn't like the 'feel' of the detector package. The Vanquish has a much more adjustable design and also is more comfortable. I had the expectation than the Vanquish would have two weaknesses. It relied solely on the Multi-IQ technology and lacked the ability to select a single operating frequency. Also, it lacked operator selected Automated GB or Manual GB. I noted the glitchy design in some modes with the Equinox if using the default '0' GB setting and that similar approach is used with the Vanquish. For the best all-around performance with the Equinox, it is always better to adjust the Ground Balance for the hunt site. Use the Automated 'coil pumping' method or do a Manual GB.

Lacking that ability, the 'glitch' I refer to is related to the default controlled GB setting and might not be adjustable. It is either done by an internal trimmer or two, or it is designed in 'software' and I'll know if that is the case tomorrow. My first V-540 I sent off to the service tech is due to be returned tomorrow and I'll review their comments. My guess it is a 'software' issue and they can either correct it, or all the Vanquish 540's will be the same. I know my 2nd new 540 displayed the very same issue.

However, I learned how to deal with it and still get very favorable performance from this affordable Vanquish model, and so far using it afield has been rather enjoyable and w/o issue. All I need to do now is decide which of the factory programs I prefer for the types of sites I'll hunt using the two different search coils, then on that model I'll adjust the desired Discrimination notches I'll accept (all but the first two) and then 'Save' that primary mode and Disc. setting in the 'Custom' mode. Thus, the detector and coil will always be good-to-go when I grab it.

I do not beach hunt so the waterproof thing is the least important. ... I only hunt a freshwater beach now and then, and I don't swim, or dive, but am prepared for an accidental fall or detector drop into the water, so for those applications I use a Simplex+. Most of my detecting time is working old homesteads, townsites, abandoned and forlorn school, church or dance hall sites, and other places well away fro urban city life. However, I do spend a little time Coin & Jewelry Hunting in-town just for a change now and then. I have settled on thinning out a lot of detectors and adding two or three in so that I now have 9 units in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit, and two of those I am pleased to have are my two Vanquish 540's.

Monte

bigtim1973:
SO what are your thoughts on the Vanquish? ... I like the Vanquish 540.

I bought the first 540 Pro Pack, anticipating some of the weaknesses it might have, but with an open mind to what level of design quality, comfort and in-the-field performance it might provide. I was correct in that I found the weakness in 10-15 minutes after I had it assembled. Then I took it detecting for a week, isolated the strengths and weaknesses it had, and determined it was a good 'fit' in my Detector Outfit. The following Monday after it arrived I sent it to Minelab USA for a service tech to check out my concerns and see if they might have any way to correct a performance glitch.

After I sent it in for service, I ordered another brand new Vanquish 540 Pro Pack. Why? Because, for me and my search needs, there are a number of applications where the 540 will satisfy me with both of the search coils. I do not like to fuss around with search coil changes afield, and haven't since the latter '70s, preferring to keep each detector in my outfit with the only coil I plan to use with it mounted full-time, although there are a few exceptions and I do have some Accessory Coils, but get in that tote very seldom.

Also, I do the vast majority of my detecting using a smaller-size search coil due to the very dense trash and also building rubble, brush, etc. that is confining. For that I use a 5" to 6" diameter search coil. In fringe-areas at the old sites I search, or for some common urban Coin Hunting places where I might want to use a mid-sized coil, then I opt for something like a round 7" Concentric or an elliptical, such as a 5X8 DD or 5X9½ DD. I very seldom use a search coil larger than that except for a beach, a large open park, a plowed field or pastureland, etc. I have little use for larger coils because of my age and health limitations to handle a heavy or awkward device.

But there are exceptions and the Vanquish 540 is one of two in my Outfit that are that exception. The 540 and 9X12 DD make a very comfortable match-up for me and when I evaluated my first 540 with that coil, I was rather impressed with how long I was able to hunt without fatigue! I admit that I was mainly attracted to the looks and performance of the 5X8 DD and that's the main-use coil that will stay at-the-ready on one V-540 in my vehicle on a daily basis. I have two or three detectors that are always ready on the back seat for anything I might chance upon, and the 540 w/5X8 DD is one of them. The other 540 will keep the 9X12 attached and ready-to-grab when I want to cover a more open environment with sparse targets to deal with.

Does it have a faster process than the Equinox did? ... 'Faster process' can mean different things. The Teknetics T2 series have one of the faster 'processors' and, sometimes, can hit-and-recover very, very quickly leading one to believe they are about the best when it comes to handling a very littered site. But a 'fast processor' only goes so far because there are other factors involved, such as also handling Discriminated or rejected targets and then recovering fast-enough to then respond to an accepted target. I have a few Test Samples I use to evaluate a detector and see how 'fast' they might be, and then I test them in a challenging environment. Some fall way short of performance even though they appear to be 'fast.'

The Vanquish 540 displays a quicker response-and-recovery in the Coin mode and a slower response and recovery time in the Relic mode. Those provide a bit of performance 'edge' for hunting in a high-target area compared with performance for a more open area where masking targets are minimal and better detection depth can be achieved. The Jewelry mode is a quicker response, more like the Coin mode, but with some characteristics of the Relic mode.

I see the Vanquish has 4 AA batteries. I kind of like that better. ... I definitely like that. The 540 comes with 4-AA NiMH rechargeable batteries and charger, and I keep 4-AA alkaline batteries on-hand when I am out detecting just in case the rechargeable batteries trail off before I'm finished detecting. I like that option.

So what are some of your experiences that have used both? ... I haven't owned an Equinox 600 or 800, and one reason is I tried a couple my friends use and I didn't like the 'feel' of the detector package. The Vanquish has a much more adjustable design and also is more comfortable. I had the expectation than the Vanquish would have two weaknesses. It relied solely on the Multi-IQ technology and lacked the ability to select a single operating frequency. Also, it lacked operator selected Automated GB or Manual GB. I noted the glitchy design in some modes with the Equinox if using the default '0' GB setting and that similar approach is used with the Vanquish. For the best all-around performance with the Equinox, it is always better to adjust the Ground Balance for the hunt site. Use the Automated 'coil pumping' method or do a Manual GB.

Lacking that ability, the 'glitch' I refer to is related to the default controlled GB setting and might not be adjustable. It is either done by an internal trimmer or two, or it is designed in 'software' and I'll know if that is the case tomorrow. My first V-540 I sent off to the service tech is due to be returned tomorrow and I'll review their comments. My guess it is a 'software' issue and they can either correct it, or all the Vanquish 540's will be the same. I know my 2nd new 540 displayed the very same issue.

However, I learned how to deal with it and still get very favorable performance from this affordable Vanquish model, and so far using it afield has been rather enjoyable and w/o issue. All I need to do now is decide which of the factory programs I prefer for the types of sites I'll hunt using the two different search coils, then on that model I'll adjust the desired Discrimination notches I'll accept (all but the first two) and then 'Save' that primary mode and Disc. setting in the 'Custom' mode. Thus, the detector and coil will always be good-to-go when I grab it.

I do not beach hunt so the waterproof thing is the least important. ... I only hunt a freshwater beach now and then, and I don't swim, or dive, but am prepared for an accidental fall or detector drop into the water, so for those applications I use a Simplex+. Most of my detecting time is working old homesteads, townsites, abandoned and forlorn school, church or dance hall sites, and other places well away fro urban city life. However, I do spend a little time Coin & Jewelry Hunting in-town just for a change now and then. I have settled on thinning out a lot of detectors and adding two or three in so that I now have 9 units in my Regular-Use Detector Outfit, and two of those I am pleased to have are my two Vanquish 540's.

Monte
Monte,.... Your comprehensive reply to bigtim73 was great...I didn't know that people got that much into the hobby. But you said something that I was already
thinking about,.... and it sounds like you might have the answer. I agree that the Equinox 600 or 800 are NOT exactly the most comfortable machine to
swing for 6-8 hours. So why can't I just mount the Equinox Control panel with the grip, and the coil on the Vanquish model Z-Shaped shaft..? Will it work..?

Not without lots of surgery. Vanquish has square shafts and the Equinox has round shafts......for starters and the Vanquish coil has a very different kind of coil nut and bolt system.

fastdraw: ... You asked a good question, but as Jeff replied, it just isn't doable:

jmaclen:
Not without lots of surgery. Vanquish has square shafts and the Equinox has round shafts......for starters and the Vanquish coil has a very different kind of coil nut and bolt system.

And that's just the simple basic 'fitting' differences between the two. Remember, too, that usually an overly-modified, aka 'butchered' detector has very little value on the used market. The package design differences between the Equinox and Vanquish are so different, that it would be a concept the manufacturer could address in a redesign ... if they wanted to. We just have to accept these two models the way they are. For me, I have a great detector team for Relic Hunting or for Coin Hunting and a few models, such as the Vanquish 540, is a 'Cross-Over' or 'Scouting Unit' for me with the 5X8 DD. I have some models that are, by design, better units for handling very dense Iron Nail and other debris filled sites, and some that are better suited for a few urban Coin Hunting applications.

I haven't been a 1-detector guy since late '71, keeping two or as many as I'm satisfied with in my Outfit as long as they perform for my needs. In this case, the two Vanquish 540's make very functional units for a lot of the places I like to hunt and, fortunately, their physical packaging is one of the reasons.

Monte