Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I just wanted to tell You your lucky

dougmoore34

You have it good no matter what part of the nation you detectin, unless...You happen to live less than 50 miles from the Whites manufacturing facility. I look at everyones finds and Iam torn. I am happy you found the whatever, but I am jealous.
Before I say more, yes I do understand that companies are capable of selling their detectors all over the world. Now understand this about detecting near a 'detector plant town'. The ground has been beat to death by every guy who could swing a detector since the plant had it's first factory sale. I do not know the detector to person ratio, but it would probably just make me sad. I can't really justify spending $100.00 on gas to find $15.00 in clad so it usually means hunting a 50's home or to the park [forget the tot lots...the old guys lord over them around here]. Anyway enough of my crying. Just know that no matter how hard or trashy your dirt is it's better if you don't have to share.
Oh and despite all my crying I do manage to dig something nice every so often. [GRIN]
Doug in OR

hey doug, that's ok. i enjoy seeing your posts anyway! yeah, being so close to the white's plant is bound to affect things. i know some old fools who will drive across state, spend several hundred dollars in the process, burn 2 or 3 days, and come home with 20 bucks in clad change. now, how dumb is that? very dumb, if you ask me! but, that's what they like to do. personally, i would be p****d!
i found myself just in your position when i lived in kentucky. there didn't seem to be any good spots to go to at all. man, this sucks, i thought to myself. so i started going to just old house sites instead of relic hunting, and did real well. i cleaned up! nobody was hunting them! their idea of relic/coin hunting around there was driving 75 miles [one way]to a pounded site that grant's army passed thru. lucky to find a single bullet, much less anything else. naw, not for me!
that's one thing i've noticed doug, is that mindsets vary greatly all across the u.s. concerning mding. i've always felt that just about all ground is good ground to hunt. yeah, your're right, the old guys have the parks hemmed in around here too. i think they take turns waiting for them to "fill up." but, that's ok, i don't hunt the parks anyway! hh,

Thanks for the wisdom Sir. I really do love watching ya'lls relic hunting adventures on here. I should have spent more time hunting when I was in the south, but I was busy back then. I'll probably hit a local park in the am [about 6am I'll be swinging]. Till then Iam gonna grade out a few wheaties. Later Sir.
Doug in OR

Doug, I have not been detecting that long, but I have been hunting all over town and haven't run out of places to go. I enjoy history and researching some the places has made it more enjoyable. I use Google maps, and others along with Sanborn Maps to seek out good places like, old drive-ins, old schools, ball parks, etc. Have never been skunked. Sometimes I don't find a lot and it seems when the pickings are slim, that is when I find some of the best. The longest distance I have traveled to hunt is 6 miles to the other side of town. I would like to occasionally go to an old civil war site, but why. I don't know how long it will take for me to hunt all the sites near here. A few weeks back, I was detecting a site, when a guy stopped by and told me he and his friends had hit the site hard and gotten most of everything. But he asked if I minded his checking it out again. I said sure. After I picked up about six clads and a couple of wheaties, he got in his car and left. He didn't find a thing. The look on his face was almost as good as my finds.

I have always marveled at the fact that I cannot find any jewelry around my neck of the woods...I have seen very few detectorists out when I am out...I KNOW there are others in my area...there are at least 25 registered at a local county park....I imagine that when I finally get to Green Lakes State park, that I will see others there....I just wonder why they are all so secretive around here...no local clubs, no one wants to answer your call to arms...I have posted messages on bulletin boards at the food stores, and drug stores, but no answers at all....Is my area so pounded that no one wants to let on to where they hunt??? It remains a mystery to me....When your in a pounded out area, you just have to be smarter than your average gopher, and go to those places others pass by....We have 2 books written about the Solvay, NY area...Solvay Stories I and II...A LOT of good info in those 2 books...tells where folks used to hang out for picnics, public gardens, meeting places, etc...A lot of these areas are overgrown, and our local utilities company put high tension wires right through where the community gardens used to be...makes detecting there a living hell (interference from the lines).

HH,

BH-LandStar

BH, I hear you Sir. Same sorts of detectorists around here. Get 'em Sir!
Rivermarine I hunt the most messed up places I can think of. My new favorite means harnessing up and swinging along the upper edge of an eroded river bank. I only found it by crawling about 60 feet under briar bushes. I started finding old forged square nails. After my third hunt I came away with two large cents.
Doug in OR

Sorry to hear about your guys hunting areas. Got big admiration for you all who have to hunt at ground pounded areas. Wish I could send you some of my areas I hunt. There is very few swingers here to speak of. In fact haven't seen another swinger for about a year and a half now. Used to be a couple guys who would hit the lake a few miles from here when it dried up but I know one had passed away for sure and don't see anything of the second one anymore. The city park that is in the neighboring town from here has a couple swingers there but I still hit it now and then. One of them swings a Mine-lab and told me he worked an area out pretty much. I went over to the area swinging my Fortune Hunter last year and pulled out a 52 dime and a number of wheat's. Sorry, when someone tells me there is nothing in a area due to them working it over, I take it as a challenge. No won empties a sight. I don't care what they are swinging. I've accidental crossed over an area I was hunting today into already searched land I just went over and pulled a quarter and a dime in such a short distance it scared me. Different angles will give different results. I don't think I could cover all the areas around here to hunt in my life time and thats just the parks, schools and swimming holes. Not to mention all the abandon ghost towns and homesteads. Then there is always the gold belt and old mining camps and such. Been pulling the history around here and it starts to open my eyes on all the possibilities. Keep your chin up and I hope something new comes to mind for you. Keep looking and doors will open. Sorry I got long winded.

Thanks Pack Rat. It wasn't long winded just kind of like a really long 'get well' card. [GRIN] Besides I happen to agree with you 100% and I too with you could send me a tot lot or park. Take care Sir.
Doug in OR