Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Kinda Hate To Ask This...

Smudge

...for fear of starting a "my detector is better than yours" thread, but here goes.

If someone was going to hunt for shallower coins and jewelry, and they were choosing between the AT Pro and the AT Gold, which would you pick and why?

And let's understand one thing at the outset: both of these are excellent detectors and Garrett has every right to be proud of both of them. :clap:

The lower your detector's frequency the more sensitive it will be for coins. The better coin detectors run at or around 6 KHZ or lower.
The AT pro is at 15 KHZ and the gold at 18 KHZ. The pro would have a slight edge over the gold.
If you are only interested in coins, The Ace 250 is probably better suited. But no where as versatile as the gold or pro.

You wouldn't hunt in true all metal mode, as you don't need the extra depth that's on the At Gold
You wouldn't need the threshold that's on the AT Gold
The AT Pro allows you notching capabilities for fine tuning and cherry picking
The AT Pro can be ground balanced to salt, The Gold can not

Sorry for the sparse info folks and thanks for the replies so far.

I would be hunting in soil with low mineralization. Ground balancing is seldom an issue for me.

As for ocean beach hunting: dry sand only. I don't trust single frequency detectors in the wet stuff.

I have the ATG and like it because of true all metal and the ground balance window. As far as notching capabilities you've got enough that you can still cherry pick coins. If I get around salt water I'll use another detector. I've only been out around 4 or 5 times this year because of the heat and personal issues. Found nickles,quarters,dimes,copper and zinc penneys,2 wheats,1 no date indian. No gold yet but junk rings and other bling. lots of foil,few tabs and tiny junk. Been hunting the chips and found a quarter at a measured 8" plus other coins that deep. Got some plus10" readings also but you run into the plastic mesh under the chips. That was with the 5"x8" DD. Hunted in the rain last week. Might try one of the old fairgrounds this weekend. Still hoping to do some prospecting out west sometime. Love this machine.
Good Luck All--Ron

AT-Pro with the 5x8 coil. Why? Because that's what I've got!!!! :rofl:

Can't speak for the ATG because I don't have one, and don't hunt with anyone who does, but if I'm just hunting shallow coins and jewelry I really like my AT-Pro. The iron audio keeps me out of most bottle caps and the 5x8 helps work through most trash. It hits on even the tiniest of stuff and have pulled tiny charms and small chains with it. I would love to try an ATG but funding isn't there these days!

A man flattened by conformity can become stronger and more resiliant:cheers: but a man flattened by me is not going to get up any time soon:stretcher:

Have you considered the Gold Bug Pro?

I did.

The Fisher has amazing sensitivity and is a good machine, but in sites where there is a lot of non-ferrous trash the Gold Bug Pro becomes a nightmare very quickly.

It hits on bottlecaps with a strong, solid signal and in the 80's. You will be forced to dig every one thinking its a coin.

The amazing thing about the AT Pro & the AT Gold is that iron audio. It does a really good job exposing bottlecaps for they are.

That fact alone makes those Garretts a blessing!

You're exactly right, the tone roll on the AT is a very great feature.
You're also right about the Bug and bottle caps.

Smudge said:
I did.

The Fisher has amazing sensitivity and is a good machine, but in sites where there is a lot of non-ferrous trash the Gold Bug Pro becomes a nightmare very quickly.

It hits on bottlecaps with a strong, solid signal and in the 80's. You will be forced to dig every one thinking its a coin.

The amazing thing about the AT Pro & the AT Gold is that iron audio. It does a really good job exposing bottlecaps for they are.

That fact alone makes those Garretts a blessing!

I have the AT Gold and the Fisher GB Pro and except for water hunting I prefer the GB way over the ATG . I dig very few steel bottle caps using the GB P.