Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I look for a book on the minelab explorer

thebug

I look for a good book which speaks about the minelab.

Which would give trick with the minelab explorer

thank stephane

However, when he talks about discrimination programs, according to most of the guys and gals on this form; You are probably better off hunting wide open with nothing discriminated out or you will loose depth.

Patterns can be a powerful hunting tool on trashy parks , i use patterns and have done ok with them. Ok you do loose an inch or 2 depth but a good pattern can work wonders. Using a wide open screen is very hard to do on sites other than clean sites with little trash. Beginners should not even think about running wide open screens. High levels of skill and practice are needed.

Andy writes some good material with many books to his credit and his book on the Explorer explains many things in laymans terms. Have to admit his patterns are a little overkill especially for new Explorer users. King of Ace has a good post and should not be taken lightly..
Personally Andys book is good reading when combined with the manual and should be on every Explorers bookshelf whether a newbie or oldbie to the Explorer...

Very open patterns are OK, but never a tight pattern if you want to dig anything other than new coins. I have one I use a lot with the whole top open down past where a new zinc would read other than a slight black on the top left where Iron mask at a -15 would be. Then I have it open all the way down the very center 1/2-3/4 inch to the bottom and run ferrous tones. Now where my coins will read is all open and those close to iron I will hear too, but may be a high pitch and low too of iron, but will hear them. My rusty bottle caps which would give a high pitch being on the lower right side are disc out and will get my nickles and most of the gold rings I feel. This is the pattern I use and I run my iron mask at a -15 and switch to iron mask so I can check any iffy signal I get while in my pattern to get a better signal as it is all open. Where many make the mistake with a pattern is they will learn in a pattern for different coins with the small or medium cursor and disc out the rest of the screen. Any coin on edge, next to trash or 2 coins in the same hole will not read in the area you have opened up for it to be accepted and heard and left for the person that has a open screen or one open up more.
Some just open up the very top left so they get the IH, copper pennies clad and silver too and don't worry about nickles in some very trashy area or a a area you want to cherry pick, so some patterns are good too, but those that are made for different coins only making them a tight pattern will only lose you good coins as in the ground is not the same as in the air and in the ground is not in perfect conditions as they tend to read one way or another depending on what is with , so a very open pattern will get these. We have a guy here that runs a very open pattern 90% of the time and he has the better finds every month in places that have been hammered for year. Most of these signals are not perfect signals and if he ran a pattern he would not have found them.

I agree that Andy's books are great. I still look back at them from time to time to help me try and understand some of the things I have experienced. Without his book coming up to speed would have been a much longer ordeal.

I agree that at the very beginning running wide open would be very confusing and perhaps a bit too frustrating but I do not think you need to be and expert to run that way. I detect in places where when all you hear is a hum for more than a few seconds you think something must be wrong and still find it is better to know what is going on.

In my opininon there is a learning curve where it will take you a while to get a handle on things which will take a few weeks more or less depending upon how much time you spend with it. After that I think you can run wide open but need to realize that you still have lots to learn. To me that is the fun of it really. Trying to put the puzzle together.

I went out today with another explorer XS owner and with my SE I was running a little looser modified explorer coin program and was hitting the same depth even a little better than his XS which he was running nearly wide open, so I don't know for sure. Hes been using his for two years and I have been using mine for about a month, needless to say he pummeled me in shear numbers of coins dug, but I was digging all signals cause I'm trying to learn the iffy's, I did manage to find two rings though. One was home made and the other was a love/peace ring made in Hong Dong, but I think I am finally getting a clue here, between us we must of got 50 Wheaties, no silver though. Then tonight I went out by myself for an hour and found another ten Wheaties and clad, best was a 1918 but it got chopped by a lawn mower, and a 1949 pristine even in color, pretty coin, Au50. Before you ask for the photos, I can't seem to find my frickking camera. As always, good hunting, bad hunting, at least I like what I am doing and really,how often is that? We were both using sun ray eight inch coils, and I'll tell you, boy can you notice the lighter weight and better target separation. I'm definitely buying the 5 inch.

I have not noticed a loss in depth between using a disc. pattern and iron mask. I have been using explorer's for going on what seven years now. The patterns do in some case's needed to be worked slower in heavy trash, if cherry picking.

I have both iron and coins in the same hole using patterns, and iron mask at varying depth's, but knowing the site is part of knowing how you can optimize your detector for the best performance.

I would be interested in the basis for the belief that using a pattern - any pattern - on the Explorer in any way equates to a loss of detection depth? All a pattern does is tell the detector which coordinate square to accept or reject. If the target is an "iffy" one, then it may fall into the dark or rejected square and hence not be detected. But if for example, you have an all black screen and accept say a dime with a medium cursor, there will be no difference in detection depth on that target in the pattern or if you are running with an all white screen; i.e., iron mask or a clear smartfind screen.

Are patterns the solution to everyone's hunting style? No . . . and I do not think I ever said they were. However, when you have a limited amount of time or are at a site for a one shot opportnity and you want to focus on certain targets (or reject certain targets), I for one (as do many of those that have discussed this with me over the years) opt for a pattern over trying to hunt in all metal and get overloaded with signals from every target I come across . . . .

I have talked with a number of "newbies" that were told by a dealer or someone on a forum that to really learn the Explorer you need to run with nothing blacked out. This is probably the best way to get frustrated and give up on the hobby.

I can not imagine how getting a new detector that operates differently than anything else out there and setting it to beep on anything in the ground and then trying to hunt areas that are littered with targets can possibly produce anything other than frustration.

Are great finds being made by SEASONED hunters running with a low IM screen? Absolutely; however, the key word in that sentence is SEASONED. I'm sure we all have tips and tricks that work very well in the field but dumping them all on a novice and expecting them to get similar results without the requisite foundation is a bit unrealistic no?

Andy Sabisch

As someone speaking from the polar opposite of Andy, I totally agree. I am new to this and had I run totally open in the beginning I would have just given up. You really get so much info that it is impossible for someone who is just learning the unit to make much sense from it.