Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I need a fix!!!

buckeeeee

I have a RTG Pro Aluminum 47” beach scoop. I like the scoop because of the weight and the ease of use. I bought my first one about 2 1/2 years ago ( see picture), some of the beaches I go to have large rocks under the sand, as you can see the tip is damaged. I bought a second one thinking I just have to be more careful when I dig. The second one I bought (see picture) after 8 months the tip is starting to bend. I spoke with a welding shop and they want $100.00 to fix, I payed $100.00 for the scoop. Any suggestions for a cheap fix (JB weld, etc..), or maybe a better scope under 3lbs. 20210830_152217.jpg20210830_152238.jpg

There has to be another option than the one welding shop, try Facebook or other social media. When I repair that type of damage I double the material on the cutting edge with a 1 to 1.5 inch wide strip and roughly the same thickness. I built my scoops out of stainless steel with an aluminum handle.
hh Jeff

I tend to agree with the “cutting edge” piece
placed on the front lip. We have an aluminum weld shop here and that guy does amazing work. $100 bucks almost seems like a “go away I’m busy” price……. If you can find an appropriate piece of metal and get it cut to approximate size, have the welder tac in on and do the final shaping yourself!!

Ideally, put a screwed or riveted stainless steel "crescent". So that it can change when it breaks again. Better stainless than normal steel. Aluminum and iron, creates rust on contact.

Don't make it too big. just enough to get it back to its previous size. Smaller = stronger

you can use male and female screws, of the appropriate size

Last edited:
Just for a little info. Some scrap yards will let you buy scrap metal at scrap metal prices. So if you're doing a small job ,, you might can find the materials you need for the project,, and not have to pay top dollar price ,, or buy way more materials than you're really needing for your project .