Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

i need all kinds of help today...i dug this bullet today

mdholedigger

this is a new bullet for me.........if any one has any info i would greatly appreciate it..........many many thanks in advance

[attachment 27301 Picture105small.jpg]
unknown bullet
[attachment 27302 Picture108small.jpg]
still unknown
[attachment 27303 Picture110small.jpg]

under side of unknown
[attachment 27305 Picture109small.jpg]

a really really flat bullet
[attachment 27304 Picture111small.jpg]

I would be willing to place money on the thought that it is a standard 3 ringer that was fired from the rifle in the heat of confusion, and the firer neglected to remove the ramrod prior to firing resulting in an overpressure situation and causing the bullet to basically fuse to the ramrod in flight. The flying ramrod impacted first, the bullet wrapped around the rammer head, and still had enough energy to continue on for a distance resulting in your deformed bullet. You might find the rammer in the area. (provided it was not already found long ago.

Glenn

That is a possible scenario. Also possible is the bullet became lodged in the barrel and the soldier used something to pound the ramrod to seat the bullet. Barrel fouling was a big problem, and it was extremely dangerous to fire a rifle without the bullet being seated over the powder. Those in the know would either hit the end of the ramrod with anything available or stab the ramrod into a fence post, tree or what ever hard surface they could find. The nose of the bullet is deeply compressed from force. Nice finds mdholedigger. Good hunting, David@Dixie

...the musket didnt fire becuase the cap fell off. Might be hard to notice in the heat of battle so they would just load again and if the musket went off the next time the bullet in the back would be jammed into the base of the one in the front.

The ramrod idea sounds like a good explantion too.