Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I need Help from M-6 Users

garyw

I posted some questions and my findings on the m-6 and depth forum but most issues were not answered so I am asking for helpful answers. I use an mxt and last week purchased my wife a M-6. She found coins but said it was bouncing all over the place. I am trying to teach her just to by sound and vdi numbers but it takes a while I know. I used the machine a couple of days ago by myself and have some questions. I was hunting with the discriminator all the way to the left and at one sometimes. I was running the gain to the pointer at the highest position (near 1 oclock). My main issue is I get a grunt that is broken up on almost every swing. It gets shorter and more broken with the discriminator at the first arrow. (below nickels) The high coin tone signals are good and strong and the same strength and loudness if the coin is on the surface or 5" deep. Is that normal. I am finding coins ok but do not like the crackling grunt and am suprised with the signal strength of good targets. I do hear alot of weak target signals also but when I dug them some changed to iron targets and some I lost the signal or it started ghosting. I only hunted about 2 hours with it but it was frustrating. Soo much different than my mxt.What am I doing wrong? Should I be hunting in the middle switch position? instead of forward?

Ive had a M6 now for about a year and half. I never have experienced a grunt like that on the swing. It grunts when it is over iron. You said you turned the signal strength up. I have fairly mild ground down here. When I turn my signal strength up it gets noisy. I mostly hunt at the preset mark and just enough disc to knock out a square nail as I hunt old home sites. Maybe try turning it down a bit or maybe its in your coil. I hunt in single tone most times and flip it into tones to investigate further,except in tot lots, I will use tones in tot lots. As far as the VDI and tones, if I hit a coin that isnt masked it gives a solid tone and number unless its a bit deep. I do get a lot of high tones in an area with lots of iron targets in the ground, but, most times Im in single tone,most people do use the tones ,I just prefer a single tone most times. While hunting in tones Ive hit coins sometimes that only give a one way good tone, and the VDI will jump around. I investigate, sometimes it is a coin close to iron,sometimes its just a false signal off the iron. But I really dont have a clue as to why it would be giving a grunt on each swing.
How fast are you swinging?? although its not a really sweep speed sensitive machine as some are. When Im in a trash site, I really slow down. Maybe you are just use to the MXT, and Ive never used one so I couldnt relate between the two.
Good luck,
John

First, you didn't mention which coil you use on your MXT or her on the M6. If you are coin hunting, and if you are searching "typical" coin hunting sites, then you're going to be dealing with some level of trash and I'd suggest a 6

The M6 has no audible threshold, it's a silent search machine, so hearing really really deep targets is going to difficult. The M6 is design for park & Beach use.

Most of the Park and beach hunting is recently lost items and monster depth is not needed. I have owned a M6 for about 18 months and have found over $4000 worth of lost Jewelry in my local parks and salt water beach's in this 18 months.

With the M6 beeping is most likely sweeping over mutable targets in 1 sweep, ( it's going to go nuts on you) get a smaller coil or hunt in a less trashy place.

Thanks Guys
We went out today to a park in a small town. I told her to put the descriminator at the first preset instead of all the way counterclockwise and after an hour or so after she found quite a few coins I asked her if it was better. She said it was still chirping the same. I guess she will get used to it I found $1.03 and she found $4.13. including two george washington dollar coins. She is on her own from now on.:surrender: