Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

i need some program suggestions for the best separation I can get

pghmole

I found a sneaky little spot tucked away in a wooded section of a park that had major traffic, there must be a signal every inch literally for about 40 x 250 feet! And there are high tones everywhere and some are definitely old can tops and bigger junk along with the densest tab infestation I have ever found,my Ctx was going nuts partially because I had the 17 inch coil on it so I kicked the leaves aside and was shocked to see several older blackened 1970s clad quarters dimes wheats memorials ect.. and tabs everywhere right on the soil surface, no digging needed! , i said to myself I was going to cherry pick a few high tones and come back with my Deus anyways so I didn't hang around there long.. didn't find any clad later than 1976 it was all just under the surface litter,and I'm almost certain it was never hunted due to the location being abandoned around the early to mid 70s and the trash density being too much for the technology of the era when it would have been possible to hunt it before the undergrowth made it almost impossible to hunt for years until recently, i have been in every major park in my area for years and I have never heard anything like this, depth isn't an issue yet just separation, any help would be greatly appreciated! I really need to read Andys book! Thanks! Rich

Why not start with a 6" coil on your CTX set to Fast on. Once you have done some cleaning then you could switch over to the Deus with one of several Fast programs. The book has some programs in it and doesn't take that long to read.

parkgt said:
Why not start with a 6" coil on your CTX set to Fast on. Once you have done some cleaning then you could switch over to the Deus with one of several Fast programs. The book has some programs in it and doesn't take that long to read.
Thanks for the suggestion but I don't have the 6 inch, i tried one and wasn't to impressed with it, especially considering the price on that coil is way too high in my opinion!.We have some crappy soil in Pittsburgh so it wasn't getting the depth I would have liked to see ... They got me for the 17 and I am very impressed and happy with it! the separation in moderate trash is great and it punches deeper than the pro coil for sure.While the Ctx is fast in its own right the Deus is ripping fast and I believe it's up to the task at hand, I know I can just crank the reactivity to 5 and have at it, but I figured there might be a some other tweaks or suggestions that might help because I'm fairly inexperienced with my Deus, i seldom use my Deus but this is the kind of situation I bought it for and can't wait to see what it can do there! A friend has Andys book next time i see him im going to ask to borrow it,Thanks again Rich

The problem you will have is with depth again. Fast and deep are kind of opposing goals for setting up the Deus. You can comprimise in between. But all reports indicate that Reactivity settings above 3 will limit your depth quite a bit, and would probably be no deeper than the CTX 6". How deep do you think you need to go at high speed?

If the soil is that bad you have that factor working against both objectives. If you want to be a little faster than the CTX and still have decent depth you might try the following as a "starting point."

Reactivity 2, Silencer -1 to 1
Disc at 3 to 5
Sensitivity as high as the site allows
TX power 2

If that doesn't get the seperation you need then keep upping Reactivity; but understand you will be losing depth.

Honestly depth isn't a concern yet as the amount of targets is overwhelming in the densest area, and the top layer of targets is about an inch or 2 at most under leaves and resting on the soil surface, I will shoot a video of the machines response to it today if it stops raining, I'm not quite sure yet what to do once I have sniffed out all the high tones and have the need to go a few inches deeper, i don't believe the older items will be much deeper than 3 to 5 inches, the area has not been maintained or mowed in 40 years or so, the soil isn't as harsh as Virginia but it isn't great, I dig silvers at 10"+ with my Ctx , thanks for the input and program I will load it and try it on the fringe areas and try a little factory fast cranked way way up, i will post my results tonight,thank you again so much for the help!.its greatly appreciated. Rich

I recently tried a program using the following settings for one of the rental houses:

Reactivity = 4
Silencer = 0
8 kHz
TX = 2
Iron Vol = 0
Sens = 85
Manual GB = 85 (site specific)
Ground Notch = 85-90
Full Tones (user preference)
Audio Response = 3

I was able to dig a couple Wheats at 6" (the signal was easily a 'dig me') not 4 inches from an iron banister with nails and a clad dime also residing in the same hole. At this reactivity level most of the signals are chopped to a greater degree from what you are used to hearing at Reac = 1 or 2, but anything that repeats is usually a masked goodie! Initially I used Reactivity of 3 with similar other settings as above, but kept getting a few spits and chirps in some areas. A couple other signals were coins mixed in with seemingly a handful of roofing nails - but Deus sniffed it out! Upping the Reac unmasked the iffy targets from Reac = 3 settings, while at Reac = 2 you wouldn't know there was a potential coin there unless you swung at a snail's pace.

Good luck at your site! We'd all be interested to see what comes up!

Thank you Cz! I will give those settings a try also! The results you have described is exactly what I am hoping for! Thanks again and will keep you guys posted, this is going to be some hard work for sure!! Rich

I look forward to seeing your video, but if you're situation is anything like some of the parks I hunt, I think you will be well rewarded if you invest the time and effort to remove some of the junk at the top.

It feels like a pain, but as good as the Deus is at seeing good targets near trash, it isn't so magical as to see through trash to good targets well below the trash line. It will work pretty well if it's somewhat trashy and there's enough space between trash to see what's below. But your description sounded like some of my spots and good targets are hard to find without a little work clearing bottlecaps and junk piles. That's been my experience anyway. I do know that CZ hits some pretty trashy spots, too, so his advice is worth testing as well.

Good luck!
Rich

The thing one has to realize with REACTIVITY on the Deus is that even at "1", it recovers faster than most detectors out there and as you know with the Minelab's, high trash areas are not the best areas for FBS circuit detectors to play in . . . slowing waaaaay down is only way to hunt them with any degree of success.

Testing here and in Europe has shown that the Deus set at "1" is faster than the FBS models in terms of recovery and bumping it up to "2" or "3" is usually all that is needed to get both depth and separation in even the trashiest sections. Above that; i.e., "4" or "5", yo can pull even more keepers that are masked by multiple pieces of trash but two things will happen - 1) you do loose depth and 2) the audio responses become very clipped and more difficult to discern.

Personally I tend to reserve the "4" or "5" settings for sites that any other detector would be forced to give up on - under football bleachers, where old drink stands stood in picnic grounds where trash abounds, right around cellar holes . . . . or areas where hunting at "2 or "3" turned up a pile and now finds have tapered off. I like to give the site one more sweep at the higher REACTIVITY levels to see if I can pick out the last few keepers before closing the book on the site.

Hope this helps

Andy

Andy Sabisch said:
...or areas where hunting at "2 or "3" turned up a pile and now finds have tapered off. I like to give the site one more sweep at the higher REACTIVITY levels to see if I can pick out the last few keepers before closing the book on the site.

Andy

I've been very pleasantly surprised by upping reactivity and then going back over a trashy site - most of coins that are found are either heavily corroded or are touching an iron object and have the telltale rust stain on one or more sides of it!

Have you tried factory "deus fast" it really rips!
Also when the surface litter has lots of rusted caps I'll pull out my $160 tesoro compadre with 5.75" coil. With discrim at tolerable level.

samandnoah said:
I look forward to seeing your video, but if you're situation is anything like some of the parks I hunt, I think you will be well rewarded if you invest the time and effort to remove some of the junk at the top.

It feels like a pain, but as good as the Deus is at seeing good targets near trash, it isn't so magical as to see through trash to good targets well below the trash line. It will work pretty well if it's somewhat trashy and there's enough space between trash to see what's below. But your description sounded like some of my spots and good targets are hard to find without a little work clearing bottlecaps and junk piles. That's been my experience anyway. I do know that CZ hits some pretty trashy spots, too, so his advice is worth testing as well.

Good luck!
Rich
Thanks!My plan got derailed yesterday by my kids and today by a large group of people using the grove where we park to access the spot and then got rained out today at 3 pm...just my luck but I squeezed out a 47 roosie before the heavens opened up so it wasn't all so bad...hopefully it doesn't snow much tomorrow so I can get in there. You are right its going to be some work just to clear the surface to get the goodies! i also think it's going to have some big rewards in that deeper zone and I'm willing to do it if I could just get back in there!.I will definitely utilize every tip that's given to me the best I can! I have been looking for an untouched spot for a very long time and I think this one is! I will start a new thread with the video when I get in there! Rich

Andy Sabisch said:
The thing one has to realize with REACTIVITY on the Deus is that even at "1", it recovers faster than most detectors out there and as you know with the Minelab's, high trash areas are not the best areas for FBS circuit detectors to play in . . . slowing waaaaay down is only way to hunt them with any degree of success.

Testing here and in Europe has shown that the Deus set at "1" is faster than the FBS models in terms of recovery and bumping it up to "2" or "3" is usually all that is needed to get both depth and separation in even the trashiest sections. Above that; i.e., "4" or "5", yo can pull even more keepers that are masked by multiple pieces of trash but two things will happen - 1) you do loose depth and 2) the audio responses become very clipped and more difficult to discern.

Personally I tend to reserve the "4" or "5" settings for sites that any other detector would be forced to give up on - under football bleachers, where old drink stands stood in picnic grounds where trash abounds, right around cellar holes . . . . or areas where hunting at "2 or "3" turned up a pile and now finds have tapered off. I like to give the site one more sweep at the higher REACTIVITY levels to see if I can pick out the last few keepers before closing the book on the site.

Hope this helps

Andy
Thanks so much Andy that will definitely help!! I really had no clue the Deus was THAT much faster than the Minelab machines at lower reactivity! That is very impressive! With that advice I think I will start at a lower setting and work up from there to try to get a better understanding of the effects of higher reactivity settings and do my best to get some good footage of it in action! The input is greatly appreciated! Rich.

Foot hill said:
Also when the surface litter has lots of rusted caps I'll pull out my $160 tesoro compadre with 5.75" coil. With discrim at tolerable level.
Yeah I have tried the fast program around some cellar holes and It really does bang the signals out and I recovered some nice relics with it that I missed with every other flagship detector that you can think of,it did cross my mind to use that fast program at my new site but I figured there might be some nice tweaks that I do not know about because of my lack of hours on this machine, i have been considering getting a compadre also to play with and keep in the vehicle at all times, I keep hearing good things about it!

pghmole said:
Foot hill said:
Yeah I have tried the fast program around some cellar holes and It really does bang the signals out and I recovered some nice relics with it that I missed with every other flagship detector that you can think of,it did cross my mind to use that fast program at my new site but I figured there might be some nice tweaks that I do not know about because of my lack of hours on this machine, i have been considering getting a compadre also to play with and keep in the vehicle at all times, I keep hearing good things about it!

You already have three of the best detectors made. It seems like your time would be better spent learning how to maximize their performance rather than adding another machine that also has to be learned. I doubt there is much that those three will miss in the hands of some one who has spent the time to master them.

parkgt said:
pghmole said:
Foot hill said:

You already have three of the best detectors made. It seems like your time would be better spent learning how to maximize their performance rather than adding another machine that also has to be learned. I doubt there is much that those three will miss in the hands of some one who has spent the time to master them.

I agree BUT...... A 5.75" coil vs 9" does help when surface litter is very bad. And most of us are paying that for (upgraded earphones or some other must have accessory.
Also deus fast is great at getting between iron as the (iron) volume is high enough to make you slow down and hit things from different angles with the DD coil.

Besides the obvious reactivity adj. Other things seem to affect the recovery speed such as disk. Silencer. And also even frequency (guess 18k recovers faster than 4khz.) and deus fast addresses all of theses with respect to speed.

I still haven't made it to that spot, my buddies that all run minelab machines wanted no part of that spot today lol I can't blame them! Going to give it a run there solo tomorrow morning for sure!

How did this site turn out for you? One thing I'd add to the other recommendations...since you'll be digging near the surface at first, drop your TX to 1 until you need to go a little deeper.

beepsilver said:
How did this site turn out for you? One thing I'd add to the other recommendations...since you'll be digging near the surface at first, drop your TX to 1 until you need to go a little deeper.
unfortunately I bought a new drag car that wasn't race ready as advertised and that had consumed all of my spare time getting it ready so I wasnt able to get there again before the weeds grew up, I will definitely give tx 1 a shot when I get there this fall,hopefully nobody else beats me to it! Thanks for the suggestion! Rich