Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I no longer need 9V batteries

horikindaguy

it's frozen out so I did a little project so I wouldn't have to use the single 9v battery any longer.

I bought a compact 6 AA battery holder (yields 9V in series) with connector & leads (free shipping from Hong Kong),
opened up the G2 and tapped (didn't cut) into the 2 DC power wires (routed the cable back out through the battery holder).
The cable runs to the armrest and the connector snaps into the new power 'case' with the 6 AA batteries. This gives me 4 times the capacity (and hours)
of the single 9V. I placed the holder in a small insulated, waterproof pouch I had lying around and strap it to the bottom of the armrest with a 'live strong' rubber wrist band.

works great, the added under arm rest weight helps the balance, a la F75....

cheers...

Thats a good one . Pic if you can. Thanks

Thats a great idea and job! Looking forward to the pics of the finished rig!:clapping:
Mud

Interesting, I guess I didn't realize the F75 used 9volt. Thought they were the same as thee F70-------------You can teach an old dog new tricks:)

IBdiggin said:
Interesting, I guess I didn't realize the F75 used 9volt. Thought they were the same as thee F70-------------You can teach an old dog new tricks:)

F75, F70 use 4 AA batteries. What I did would work for any model that uses a single 9V battery. I changed my G2, tired of 9V's, high cost, low life and reduced performance (my
perception) as they decline in amperage.

you can also see the headphone extension to the armrest I added which has a good quality 'slider' volume control. The cable came from a set of Koss UR29's (100 ohm impedance) I no longer wanted to use. I soldered the female 1/8" receiver with cable to the pc board inside the rheostat housing for a solid connection. works great with any of my headphones now....the waterproof neoprene bag I use for the new battery case keeps it dry and provides a bit of insulation from the cold....I used gorilla tape to seal the battery cover (and speaker holes) since I didn't want to make a permanent change to the housing...

I hate 9v too for the reasons you mentioned....I hate them so bad in fact, that would be a deal breaker for me on any machine...this is a realistic, simple and cheap 'work around' to that hatred, so thank you Horkin!

.IBdiggin...I think Horkin was referring to getting the batt pack up under the arm like our 70's/75's have...for balance....instead of down in the box like lets say a F5..? :shrug:.by the way, how you doing Pal?.
Mud

Gotcha Mud.------------ I'm ok , been a little withdrawn lately. Holidays are sort of a sad time around here. Hope everything is good with all my F swingin friends--------Merry merry and a happy happy-------IB

My Omega using a single 9 volt battery, but I just bought a couple of LSD rechargeables and they wear me out before they run dead, they have a one year shelf life on a charge, they read full scale on the battery meter for like 15 hours then drop off one bar, but I can still detect for a good bit even at that point.
I really don't think there is any loss in performance until the voltage drops to 5 volts or lower on these detectors, they really are not like a flashlight. Now that's not to say that the larger stack of double AA isn't going to give you more run time for sure! but one 9 volt battery and 15 hours and I'm pretty much done for the day. Then I just bring it back home and recharge it and I'm good to go again. I actually have four of these batteries, my Coinstrike and my pro-pointer also uses 9 volt batteries, and the 1270 I had used them, so I don't ever plan on buying 9 volt batteries again!

Mark

Good DIY project for cold days.
I tried using rechargeable 9V batteries but I gave up ... China made batteries are crap.
I had problem with inserting one of them ... it was longer than regular 9V by 2-3 mm... barely fits in place on my G2.
And then it lasted only 3 hrs (of first charge) with headphones.

Alkaline batteries on one bar lasts me more than 4 hrs.

sdesic said:
Good DIY project for cold days.
I tried using rechargeable 9V batteries but I gave up ... China made batteries are crap.
I had problem with inserting one of them ... it was longer than regular 9V by 2-3 mm... barely fits in place on my G2.
And then it lasted only 3 hrs (of first charge) with headphones.

Alkaline batteries on one bar lasts me more than 4 hrs.
Here are the rechargeables I use, they fit my Omega, Coinstrike, the Fisher 1270, Fisher ID-Edge, and the Vaquero I had.
They are the LSD type and work very well.
I get my batteries at batteryjunction dot com, pretty good prices and fast shipping,
The little 2 bay smart charger for $8.00 works really good too.

Mark

Doesn't six AA batteries plus a holder weigh more than a nine volt battery? My F2 has two nine volt batteries. Can you imagine the weight difference of using twelve AA to replace them?

Does weigh more but the extra weight under the arm cuff helps balance a detector better especially when using the larger coils.

I have my own charger for 9 volts to charge Alkaline batteries, yes you can charge them. My charger charges them and then don't even get warm, leak or explode.
Alkies are good for at least 5 recharges. My friend hasn't bought a 9 volt battery in years, gets his free from the recycle bins and recharges them.

I offered my charger for a couple years funny how only a handful of guys took me up on the offer considering all the 9 volts being used in detectors.. chargers were dirt cheap.
Thought folks would jump at the chance to save a wallet full of money on 9 volt batteries, guess not.

This charger is designed to safely charge “only” 9 volt Alkaline batteries.
Either charge 1 or 2 batteries at a time.

Complete charge takes approx. 4-8 hours depending upon battery condition.
There is no timer or auto cut off.
Check battery voltage with a multimeter. If battery voltage reads 10 volts or more, unplug battery from charger. This will stop the charging. Over a period of 1 hour the voltage will drop back closer to 9 volts. This is normal.

Can be left on charge overnight without harm. Charger will not overheat 9 volt Alkaline batteries.

Depending upon brand of battery, possible to recharge up to 5x, possibly more.

This charger will not charge AA size batteries in a 6 cell (9 volt) battery holder. Or any carbon type battery.