Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I ordered a used Omega 8000 version 5

88junior

Anyone have any good pointers on it? I've used a lot of detectors in my life but this is first Omega. It comes with the 11" DD biaxial coil. Which should be good for my soil. 2-4 bar dirt on the F75.

We have similar dirt and I really enjoy using my version 4 8000. Easy to ground balance, but getting a good g b does help it to run smooth and quiet. Once I get a good g b I run in sen. 70 or a little above. At 70 it seems to run in a higher gain mode. Going higher sen. than 70 just makes the targets sound louder with no additional depth. I use the 10" concentric coil the most, but the 11" DD is a bit deeper and gets used as needed. Good luck, its a fun detector and does love coins. HH Jim tn

It is a coin killer. Unless they are amongst lots of iron. It always did real good at making trash sound like trash. I like when a detector can do that. You can also hunt deeper coins with that beautiful faint high tone. I liked using the 10x5DD on my version 4. Now I have the 8500 and have a 7” concentric on it

Thanks for your guys input. I may add the 10" elliptical concentric coil for it. I've been reading good things about that coil.

Loved my omega 8000 ver 4 which I still have but in pieces due to excess modification and experimentation. Found me a ton of stuff with it. Allows for extremely efficient detecting.

Anyone have any good pointers on it? I've used a lot of detectors in my life but this is first Omega. It comes with the 11" DD biaxial coil. Which should be good for my soil. 2-4 bar dirt on the F75.
I have heard good things about the 8000. Never owned one either. How does it stack up to your other detectors for coin hunting in the park, or other places?

They are decent machines in less dense areas. They have some of the best modulated high tone audio ever. A deep coin is unmistakable. Problem is, it’s poor in iron, it’s a little slow on recovery, and 8-9” is max depth. And you’d better be listening real hard to get there. T2/F75 is far deeper.
I always thought if they could run the 7.8 kHz and the 19khz platform simultaneously that would be one sweet detector. The inner workings are very similar. Just keep the omega 8500 feature set and let it operate smoothly like a g2, with the gain of an omega. Having dual frequency would be great. Aren’t CZ’s like that?

Of all the first Texas machines, the F75 and the Omega 8500 are excellent in the features department. The 8500 has totally awesome features and settings that in theory would make it incredible. BUT SOMETHING WENT TOTALLY WRONG IN THE IMPLEMENTATION AND WAS NEVER ADDRESSED. The audio is terrible. Like everyone says. It’s incredibly frustrating that they never fixed and capitalized on that machine. Whoever laid out the features needs a raise and I seriously hope that person is in charge of the next machines menus and features. Whoever laid out the tone and signal responses needs a vacation. It’s unlike any of their other machines in how it reports.

Last edited:
I've never heard anyone say they really love the 8500. Most people that have had them get rid of them or seldom use them. Surely First Texas knows this by now. I'm wondering why they still build them.

The Omega-8000 series are very good urban Coin Hunting models, but poor performers for relic Hunting in very ferrous-littered sites. I have owned all versions of the '8000' and also owned the '8500', and of them all my favorite was the good ol' Ver. 4 Omega-8000, mainly due to the more variable Iron Range Disc. adjustment. I used all of the FTP search coils on them and my preferred day-to-day Coin Hunting coil is the round 7" Concentric. If I didn't have that coil the 5X10 elliptical Concentric worked well, also. I also made sure to keep a 5" DD mounted on a spare lower rod for modern trashy places or fitting in brushy or littered areas.

In most urban Coin Hunting places, I also enjoyed slightly better coin depth and better VDI lock-on with my V4 Omega-8000's than I got with my T2's. They were more unstable and jumpy when the located coins were in the over 4" range compared side-by-side with the Omega's. Just find the coil(s) that work well for you, keep your Discrimination low, at about Iron Nail rejection, and work an area slowly and methodically. In more mineralized environments don't use a too-brisk sweep speed. Learn it and you'll have a good Coin Hunting unit in-hand.

Monte