Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I ordered pro pointer today. Any tips, tricks or advice?

T.A.L.LasVegas

I ordered the garett pro pointer tonight and will receive it in a few days.
Do you have any advice, tricks or tips on using it would be appreciated very much.
Thank you
HH
Todd

Congrats. on the second most important tool in MD'ing. I felt like a blind man searching for a needle in a haystack without mine.

Here is a method to increase sensitivity almost doubling the depth. I have seen several methods of doing this. A coin held in place with your finger, a washer and zip tie, etc.

HH
Kim

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?32,1303625

In addition to enhancing the depth by sliding a metal object along side the probe, ( I use my Lesche digging tool) I also find that I can improve the performance if I "reset" it occassionally. To do this, hold the tip of the probe against your digging tool blade, turn the probe ON, move the probe away from the blade and turn it OFF. Then, turn the probe back on again while holding it away from anything metal. For some reason this seems to "blow out the cobs" and enhance the operation. I usually do this when I first start my hunt and every once in awhile during the hunt.

The second "tip" I would offer is to not lose the probe. I know some of you might think that comment is ridiculous. But before I came up with this set-up, I had "misplaced" my probe more than once. The first time I was able to see it laying on the ground behind me. I had simply left it on the ground after retrieving a target. The second and LAST time I lost it, I was out in the middle of a corn field. Apparently when I thought I had slipped it into the sheath (which is clipped to the right hip area of my belt) I missed the sheath and the probe fell on the ground. Out in a corn field, I don't need the probe as often as I might in yards and parks. So it can be a LONG time before I even notice that I had lost it. Having spent over $100 on the probe, I retraced where I thought I had been, from the last time I remembered using it. Over an hour later I finally found it laying along side a pile of corn stalks. I swore to come up with something that would eliminate the frustration I had from spending all that time walking over ground I had already covered. I put the brain in gear and came up with an idea that has served me well. I went to the hardware store and bought one of those retractible key rings that snap on your belt, like you might see a school custodian use. I bought the one with a kevlar cable so it wouldn't interfere with the probe. I added a plastic coiled cord to serve as a slack loop, to keep from pulling on the probe when placed in the sheath. Then I secured the other end of the coiled cord to the probe with electrician's tape. This allows me to change batteries and not have to disconnect that cord. Anyway, it works well as it allows me to use the probe without restrictions. It allows me to put the probe back in the sheath without any problems. BUT, if I happen to miss the holster when I think I've stuck the probe back in, it don't matter as this setup keeps it from getting away. Usually I can feel the pull of the cord within the first few steps.

Although I currently use the Garrett ProPointer, I first started using this when I was using the VibraProbe. Initially, I used a short piece of cloth cord instead of the plastic coiled cord. As you can see in the pics, it works for either.

HH Randy

[attachment 207679 propointertether003.JPG] [attachment 207683 tetherforprobe.jpg]

I find that I get better Proformance with alkaline batteries than rechargeables in mine, may just be the rechargeable bat I got. The same brand in my 705 give long life and no change in performance. It may just be my charger though as it does not have an auto mode for 9v batts and I may remove before full charge (?).

I also use my digger for more depth. I touch it to the Propointer and slide it back until it no longer sounds off.

Jeff

Great advice that I will follow for sure.
HH
Todd

Thank you for all the great advice everyone had good advice.
HH
Todd

I am told (but yet to try it) that lithium batterys "supercharge" your Propointer and last for many months

I think I will need a better charger