Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I pulled a dumb stunt yesterday and really got wet

fongu

I've been chomping at the bit to do some water detecting, but had a problem with my left knee and finally saw my doctor Monday and got a steroid shot and hit the water Tuesday for almost 2 hours. Found some coins and found out my less than a year old waders were cracked all over and I got super wet. Usually I leave my wallet and other stuff in the car, but thought it would be okay and boy was I surprised and soaked some signed checks that are now no longer able to cash. Dumb, but when you don't get your dirt fishing fix, a junkie got to do what a dirt fishing junkie got to do. I didn't try to send them back to the company I bought them from and just threw them in the garbage. If I get to go water detecting again, it will be in my wet suit, no more chest waders for me. Had them hanging up over a year and don't know if that put some type of stress on them, but when I came out of the water, it looked like there were leaks all over. Going back for a MRI on my knee to see if I have a spur or torn cartilage and know if I have to have surgery, there will be no detecting for some time. Once I got wet, I just went ahead and did as much detecting as I could and forgot about my stuff in my pockets, but it will never happen again.

Not sure why the multiple leaks in your hip boots. I did the same thing as you in hanging them up each time after use. Never had any type of leak. Sorry to hear as you lost $$ from the ruined checks. Take care and I hope you receive good news on the status of your knee.

Thanks earthlypotluck. Had the MRI yesterday and the steroid shot has worn off and I see the doctor next Thursday to find out what to do. The river is down 4 feet, but it might as well be dry as far as I'm concerned. Hope some of the other people who detect this spot make some good finds. I really wish I had been able to hit the big water spot with 3 beaches that I got permission to metal detect in March, but it's been one of those years where I just kept running in to situations beyond my control. I thank God that I'm still able to take care of my aging mother and she takes care of me. What would this world be without family and friends?

I have no clue what made those waders leak and never had any trouble with them before. The lady from the company that sold them to me said she would have applied some warranty to them and I appreciate this, but got so frustrated I threw them away. Guess it wasn't very mature of me, but what's done is done. Good luck and happy hunting.

Fongu,

Please, call me Jim.

Those beaches will still be there next year. Most importantly, take good care of yourself and your mother. We just have to take one day at a time. Maybe with Sports medicine / physical therapy / surgery this can change things for your left knee? I wish you the best in your decision. It is good that you and your mother are close and take care of each other. What would this world be without family and friends? The only way I feel I can answer: lonely.

fongu said:
Thanks earthlypotluck. Had the MRI yesterday and the steroid shot has worn off and I see the doctor next Thursday to find out what to do. The river is down 4 feet, but it might as well be dry as far as I'm concerned. Hope some of the other people who detect this spot make some good finds. I really wish I had been able to hit the big water spot with 3 beaches that I got permission to metal detect in March, but it's been one of those years where I just kept running in to situations beyond my control. I thank God that I'm still able to take care of my aging mother and she takes care of me. What would this world be without family and friends?

I have no clue what made those waders leak and never had any trouble with them before. The lady from the company that sold them to me said she would have applied some warranty to them and I appreciate this, but got so frustrated I threw them away. Guess it wasn't very mature of me, but what's done is done. Good luck and happy hunting.

Fongu, if you filled those waders up to your butt and didn't drown, your darn lucky. Should've been able to do something with those checks too I bet.
Man , what a day, least you didn't go down to Davy Jones ! Take care

Thanks everybody. It's good to survive our mistakes sometimes and the person who wrote those checks has let me know he will make them good. Can't beat that with a stick. Found out today I have a torn meniscus the entire length of my knee. I'm looking at 8 weeks downtime from the surgery, but will be able to drive 2-3 days after the surgery since it's the left knee and not the right (gas pedal/brake) knee. Hope to set it up in the next month or so.

Fongu,

Glad to hear the person will reissue new checks!! You can't even beat that with an AT Pro, Gold or Max or can you? :blink: :rofl:

After 8 weeks will you be able to go back to kneeling / squatting? There must be a physical therapy component in this some place? At least I would think so...

I wish you the best and please keep us posted on your progress.

fongu said:
Thanks everybody. It's good to survive our mistakes sometimes and the person who wrote those checks has let me know he will make them good. Can't beat that with a stick. Found out today I have a torn meniscus the entire length of my knee. I'm looking at 8 weeks downtime from the surgery, but will be able to drive 2-3 days after the surgery since it's the left knee and not the right (gas pedal/brake) knee. Hope to set it up in the next month or so.