Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Separated My Jewelry Tonight. Here's My Gold I Found With The ATX

John-Edmonton

Staff member
ALLATXRINGS_zps72de2863.jpg~original

I did about 8 water hunts with the ATX. They were all in places I regularly hunt. For some hunts, I waited until the end of the swimming season so I could go and dig "DEEP" holes and not create any problems related to this. About half of the 12 rings I dug were in my second scoop, and down at least 6-8". One ring came out at an easy 20 inches. I found a coin spill down around that 20" mark, got about 8 coins, all dated from the 70's. The ring came up in that same vicinity. The area was quite far from shore......one of my favorite places to hunt with a PI. There is generally less junk out there. The cans of beer are easy to recognize because of their loud tone and wider swing compared to a coin or ring. I like to dig the quiet tones, which often times go to 20 inches deep. These have often times rewarded me with a coin or ring. However, sometimes a nasty bottle cap comes up too. Fortunately, as the hole gets deeper, a quick iron check with the ATX will often times alert you to iron junk, saving you the trouble of continuing to dig to ID it.

The large gold ring was the prize of the hunts. Although not deep in the sand, it gave a nice smooth loud high-low sound, and what a surprise when I saw it in my scoop. It has a name inscribed in it, and I am trying to make contact with the owner. I will return it to him, and probably enter the ring in Western and Eastern Treasures "FIND OF THE YEAR CONTEST".The tiny earring loop, with a dried corn kernel beside it for size gave off a nice loud soft signal. At first I missed it in the scoop and nearly dumped the remains in the water. The engineer at Garrett had tweaked the ATX for gold. This was also evident with my various targets air testing the unit. A nickel could be picked up at about 20 inches once the ATX was ground balanced, best frequency chosen and both sensitivity and threshold set as high as I could stand it, but still getting a repeatable signal.

Just for your information.....I hunt freshwater lakes and rivers only. The ocean is a days drive away heading west from Edmonton. A lot of people have been told PI detectors don't work well in fresh water lakes. This is simply not true. Just because iron doesn't rust as fast in freshwater as in salt water, it will however eventually sink in the sand to great depths, often out of reach for even PI's. Large pieces of iron can easily be discriminated either by the iron check, or better yet, the degree to which the user has learned his detector. To be successful using a PI, you must be educated enough to learn how to pick your locations wisely. And this comes from many many hours of practice.

Hi John.
I am wondering what the search pattern is like with the dual coil setup?
Is it a narrow seach band or are targets detected out to the outer extremes of the large coil or just inside the diam of the inner coil?

I was told the low conductor stuff is sniffed out by the mini coil and you can guess the rest...

Cheers,

Tye

Both coils are DD's, and like the Infinium, approaching a target with the sensitivity and threshold turned up, you get first a signal outside the coil, then it gets progressively louder until you are centered over the target. When set up like this, it's almost like swinging a 30" coil, and when gridding an area, you cover a large area in less time compared to most other detectors.

A nickel at 20"....is that buried in ground?

This makes the ATX about 25% deeper than my Minelab GP3500 with a 16" mono coil.

If your measurements are true then this makes the ATX the deepest seeking machine available on the market today.
Half a metre down for a nickel........:drool:

Tony.

I like the sounds of that. Sure would help if it turns out to be useful on a salt water beach, where you have lots of territory to cover.

John do you think the large mono coil is going to work on the beach? Or just the DD coil? Covering a lot of beach is key. With low tide not lasting very long more ground cover is key as everyone knows.

Good job John! Already making some money with the ATX! :surprised:

Alan

Thanks Alan.....Any polished PI user will really like the ATX. Great depth, great sensitivity, batteries on board-not separated, water proof, tweaked to operate in some of the most challenging places, iron check and built in the USA by a company with one of the best customer service available.

The large mono coil is the one I like to use on the Infinium. I see no reason why it shouldn't also work well on the beach. Pi's have their strengths in salt and mineralized areas by punching through those areas with ease. I will try one next year. Freeze up around here is weeks away.

John.....

After reading a lot of your posts about the ATX......

I bet you just may know how to rope a steer! :clapping:

Cheers,

Tye

Yea man, can't to get the ATX in the goldfields out here in Oregon and California!