Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I think I found my first meteorite.

dgerst

In my back yard. I was trying out my new TRX. Got a signal just below a nickel with my LRP. I figured it was a chunk of foil. Pinpointer was screaming but I couldn't find the metal. Turned out to be this. It's definitely not hematite. Fusion crust. Rust and what appears to be nickel flakes. Holds strong to a magnet. My rock hunting college science professor friend looked at it under a microscope and says it's a safe bet. Pretty rock. I may slice and polish it.

Yeah. It holds quite strong to a magnet. Can pick it up easily. Some calcite on the other side. It looks to be pretty weathered. Iron showing through the worn parts of the crust. I'm in Kansas. About 25 miles south of the Brenham Pallasite fall. This isn't a pallasite though.

It's only about a inch across.

I was thinking about this find last night while watching the meteor shower... sure would hate to get beaned in head by one of those lol... cool find..

:rofl: I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what the statistics are for people getting clobbered in the head from a meteor? :blink: No matter how large or small, it's gonna be lights out for good. :stretcher:

bootyhoundpa said:
I was thinking about this find last night while watching the meteor shower... sure would hate to get beaned in head by one of those lol... cool find..

Nice find. I spent 5 days one summer dedicated to hunting for some in an area that had yielded 4 in the past . No luck!!