Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I think I need a scoop with smaller holes!

graytcote

I have had my AT in the water 4 times now and I have not had any problems with it mechanically. I took it into 3 different lakes and at each swim beach it acted differently because each lake had different conditions and bottoms. In one lake there are lots of very deep targets and the AT seem to hit on all of them. I had to give up on quite a few targets after scooping lots of times in the hard packed bottom. In the shallower water where I could see the depth meter and VDI numbers I could tell if I needed to keep on scooping but in the deep I couldn't. We are still working on getting a chest mount made for the AT to solve that problem. I run the AT sensitivity all the way up like I do with the rest of my detectors and it is so sensitive that it was pretty noisy hearing all of the deep targets. I also run the AT in zero discrimination which added to the noise. When I tested it on the coin discrimination and turned the sensitivity down it was a whole lot quieter. I went back to zero and backed the sensitivity down one notch and that is how I want to hunt with it. I also noticed at this one beach that I was getting lots of tiny targets that were going through the holes in my scoop. Lots were probably trash but I am sure that some were necklace drops and earrings. I lucked out and that little silver angel stayed in my scoop long enough for me to get it. The little bolt stayed in there too. Both were probably trapped in my scoop by some clumps of mud and rocks. I have had more luck hunting the dried lake beds when the water levels were down. I got nine 10k gold rings that was missed before by other detectors, one 10k gold bracelet, necklace chains, silver jewelry, lots of earring studs, and tiny pieces of broken silver necklaces. It sure is easier recovering those small targets when you can see them. I think I need to get a new scoop made with smaller holes just for my AT!

Build yourself a tow-behind sifter using the smallest hardware cloth you can find, 1/4" I think. Use some wood dowels, and wrap them in pieces of the "noodles" floats the kids use, works great. Scoop, rescan, No signal? Dump scoop in sifter and find target. About the only thing that gets thru are the real tiny stuff, but most get caught. I use mine to hold my scoop while I'm looking for my next target too!!

[size=large]one thing i've noticed on these forums is, what ever your problem someone has figured out a solution to deal with it.

HH [/size]

Been looking at the Proscoop because it has 1/4 inch square holes all over it. Nice finds Chuck!

n/t

When I first started water hunting I had the same problem. I took some 1/4" hardware cloth and formed it inside my scoop to cover most of the large hole and I no longer lose those small items. It's a whole lot cheaper than buying a scoop with smaller holes.