Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I think my old Excal had a Heart Attack

aushunter

Charged up my old Excal ready to hit the local swimming holes, hoping to hear the sweet sound passing over a target,
but all I got was a gargle of HELP ME,IM DYING:stretcher: scwarck,warble and then some more.
I don't think the battery is taking full charge. Every swing she was falsing and it eventually got the better of me.:rant:
I haven't been hunting for a while and I finally got, it was cut short.
Maybe time to purchase a new Pacemaker for the old girl as I am having Detector withdrawl symtoms.:thumbdown:
Cheers and HH
aushunter:ausflag::minelab::bounty:

PS in amongst all of that chattering I did manage to pull 2 targets, 1 rusty nail and what looks like a brassy type tap thingy
using all-metal, better than nothing.

If you have the old NiCad type battery......throw it in the garbage and get a new NiMH battery. If you had a cell phone with you and it was on, this can cause a lot of interference with the Excal at times........depends on weather conditions. At certain beaches when there are low clouds and a lot of moisture in the air the RF interference is almost unbearable with my Excal.

don't throw the holder out with the nicads if they are dodgy, repack with nimh. you could also try the ikalite conections to make sure they are good, maybe its not charging because of that.
Hope you get things sorted as its an expensive do getting another detector(maybe something for wish list for christmas)

you could be on right path as any battery only has so many charges before they give up the ghost-watch classifieds ya may find a deal on one

Of the 4 machines I swing the Excal is my hands down favourite, lots of feedback and fun to use. About 6 months ago she started to act up on me and finally collapsed completely - I fell back on the CZ-21 and the Whites DF but they just aren't the same, they have good depth but the feedback isn't as good. To put it bluntly, the Excal is just more fun to play with.:thumbup:
I have to send it to Las Vegas for repairs and I am thinking of getting a new Excal2 as well to cover me in the interim. I'm also looking for a good underwater imaging system to track down something 'special'. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. (I'd like to keep the investment under $10k)

Cheers All,

BDA:cool:

bdahunter said:
Of the 4 machines I swing the Excal is my hands down favourite, lots of feedback and fun to use. About 6 months ago she started to act up on me and finally collapsed completely - I fell back on the CZ-21 and the Whites DF but they just aren't the same, they have good depth but the feedback isn't as good. To put it bluntly, the Excal is just more fun to play with.:thumbup:
I have to send it to Las Vegas for repairs and I am thinking of getting a new Excal2 as well to cover me in the interim. I'm also looking for a good underwater imaging system to track down something 'special'. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. (I'd like to keep the investment under $10k)

Cheers All,

BDA:cool:

Contact Kellyco i,m sure the could help. They carry commercial equipment....

Could be a poor battery. Try swapping with a spare alkaline battery pod or NIMH from anyone carrying a spare. If the machine doesn't settle down in pinpoint with slow sweeps it might be a bad coil. I know when the amplifier or oscillator chip in the coil starts to go bad, the falsing gets pronounced at every swing but it still picks up targets between the chirps. I assume you already checked the cables for internal wire breakdown at the coil and control housing. Also check the cable at the battery pod ikelite connector. The weak spot for eventual individual wire breakage seems to be at the rubber compression ring area inside the strain relief. That will contribute to occasional falsing or cutting out, but not the consistent falsing you mentioned.