Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I think my outlaw is sick.

Tried hunting an old town that was abandoned 100 years ago today and I couldn't get a good ground balance. Every time I turn the knob CCW I get a loud blaring sound until I stop moving it. A couple of time I tried to pinpoint with the switch in the middle position and it would sound off like an overload even if I held it up in the air. Anyone else seen this? Luckily it has a lifetime warranty but it looks like it's going to be gone for a few weeks.

your battery is low - or you where way out of ground balance you should not ground balance it in the no motion mode, turn it to threshold all metal then try ground balancing it , put in a new battery you may have to turn it a lot to find the balance mine did that it was usually a low battery, or out of ground balance in no motion will cause it to sound off badly remember its an out law

Riceville?

other brands with a manual GB control?

happycamper08 said:
Tried hunting an old town that was abandoned 100 years ago today ...
That sounds like the types of sites I have preferred for a long time. Be (1) patient in older towns, (2) use a smaller coil, (3) low Discrimination, (4) short, overlapping, repeatable sweeps, --> and if it 'beeps,' dig it! I worked my first ghost town on May 4th of '69 and for now over 45 years old town sites and similar dated era locations have been my favorite producers. :thumbup:

happycamper08 said:
... and I couldn't get a good ground balance.
Problems:

#1.. Not familiar with Tesoro's manual GB.

#2.. Not familiar with the All Metal tuning mode used [size=small](Manual Retune or Auto-Tune)[/size].

#3.. Could be over a spot with nearby metal.

#4.. Possibly a bad detector or bad coil. Odds are this is the least likely problem.

happycamper08 said:
Every time I turn the knob CCW I get a loud blaring sound until I stop moving it.
That sounds like you are in the left toggle position for All Metal w/Auto Retune [size=small](sometimes called Motion All Metal)[/size]. You can hear changes due to shifting the manual GB control but when you stop moving, the circuitry quickly 'auto-tunes' to the set Threshold level. Normal operation.

happycamper08 said:
A couple of time I tried to pinpoint with the switch in the middle position and it would sound off like an overload even if I held it up in the air. Anyone else seen this?
That could be caused by the Threshold setting being too high. The 'proper' name for that control should be [size=small](and used to be)[/size] a Tuner control. To 'tune' the detector, you adjusted to the point you would hear a slight audio hum at the 'Threshold' of just getting into the audio range. Today, many call it a Threshold control, but it needs to be set for a slight audio hum.

happycamper08 said:
Luckily it has a lifetime warranty but it looks like it's going to be gone for a few weeks.
I would not suggest sending the Outlaw in until you are certain the 'problem' is design defect. If you are not familiar with manual Ground Balance or selectable Manual Retune vs Auto-Tune All Metal, then I would check into that first. Perhaps you could consult your local dealer [size=small](odds are you didn't buy it locally, or that there isn't a nearby Tesoro Dealer)[/size], or locate someone close to you who IS familiar with Tesoro products who could check out your Outlaw. A second opinion would be good, and, if the issues are operator control, some hands-on assistance could easily explain how to get the Outlaw set up properly and into action.

Monte

Bucksport said:
Riceville?
That's the place.
#1 I have been using the ground balance control on this machine since last august and it really isn't that difficult so I don't think that was the problem.
#2 I don't even mess with the retune feature except when initially ground balancing or rebalancing.
#3 it was difficult to find an open spot to balance on so I did it several time while I was there.
#4 I don't know that's why I am asking here.
I do understand that the machine re-tunes while balancing but why does it only give an audio response when turning the knob ccw?
The machine also ran for a couple of hours before I had the problem. New battery and we don't have hot soil up here so I don't see it changing that much in this area. Today trying it in the yard it seems fine. I guess I will have to use it for a couple of hours today to see if it acts up again.

happycamper,

Quote: #2 I don't even mess with the retune feature except when initially ground balancing or rebalancing."

In all do respect, your answer to question #2 leaves me a little puzzled. You should ground balance with the mode switch toggled to AUTO (auto-tune) all-metal.

There should be no reason to use the re-tune button that causes some people to have problems with the Outlaw.

As for the blaring noise when ground balancing and turning ground balance knob counter clockwise, this happens to me sometimes.

The noise goes away and is not a problem.

I meant that I don't use the button and I only use the auto retune switch when ground balancing. People have had to many issues with the push button so I don't even use it, but when the switch is flipped to the left it is in auto retune. I ground balance there and then flip the switch to disc. I rarely use the no motion all metal to pinpoint either. It is pretty easy to pinpoint in disc. I use the 8" donut most of the time and it has been great. My thought now is maybe there could be an issue once it is on for a while? Not sure could be something at that site that made it go crazy. Seems fine now so I will try it out and hope that it was just site specific.

There's a area near my home where I've taken many detectors and always left in frustration because I couldn't get them to work properly there.