Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I took the plunge!

Looks like I need to try to manual GB before hunting around the house - its worth a try even with the EMI. I can barely hit a 10" quarter in the garden but the 8" dime is out of reach, this is in Prog#3 Deus Fast
Settings are Sens = 85; GB = 90, 8 kHz; Vol = 4. Reactivity is 3, Iron vol = 3...........I wonder if getting GB closer to actual values will net another fraction of an inch with slightly better iron rejection in the test garden? Currently I can get 8 out of 16 targets which range from nickels to quarters buried anywhere from 5-13" deep. Deus has the most trouble with dimes past 6"; then add some trash in the same hole to make matters worse. Currently can't hit a clean 12" quarter...just plain too deep!!!

I purposely planted a bunch of trash with some of the coins - mostly nuts and bolts, some nails, etc. There are still a few targets that Deus cant see due to the combination of depth and trash content. I have a 4" long 3/8" drive ratchet extension 4" deep with a clad dime 5" below that - and Deus doesn't see the dime (that's a tough test for any detector). Also have 2 16d nails 3" deep planted vertically 2" away from a dime which is 7" down - again no response. Some of the targets are just plain too deep currently, but I did this for a reason - a test garden that's not challenging only has limited value.

That's very encouraging that you are able to hit a 9" dime with the 9" coil - that just bolsters my appetite for the 11" coil, which by design must be able to hit at least 10" on a dime maybe more! I should have the two strips cleaned out of non-ferrous targets so when I start with the 11" coil there won't be any surface trash to speak of (also cleaning out surface iron targets - looking for the deepies!)

CZconnoisseur said:
Looks like I need to try to manual GB before hunting around the house - its worth a try even with the EMI. I can barely hit a 10" quarter in the garden but the 8" dime is out of reach, this is in Prog#3 Deus Fast
Settings are Sens = 85; GB = 90, 8 kHz; Vol = 4. Reactivity is 3, Iron vol = 3...........I wonder if getting GB closer to actual values will net another fraction of an inch with slightly better iron rejection in the test garden? Currently I can get 8 out of 16 targets which range from nickels to quarters buried anywhere from 5-13" deep. Deus has the most trouble with dimes past 6"; then add some trash in the same hole to make matters worse. Currently can't hit a clean 12" quarter...just plain too deep!!!

I purposely planted a bunch of trash with some of the coins - mostly nuts and bolts, some nails, etc. There are still a few targets that Deus cant see due to the combination of depth and trash content. I have a 4" long 3/8" drive ratchet extension 4" deep with a clad dime 5" below that - and Deus doesn't see the dime (that's a tough test for any detector). Also have 2 16d nails 3" deep planted vertically 2" away from a dime which is 7" down - again no response. Some of the targets are just plain too deep currently, but I did this for a reason - a test garden that's not challenging only has limited value.

That's very encouraging that you are able to hit a 9" dime with the 9" coil - that just bolsters my appetite for the 11" coil, which by design must be able to hit at least 10" on a dime maybe more! I should have the two strips cleaned out of non-ferrous targets so when I start with the 11" coil there won't be any surface trash to speak of (also cleaning out surface iron targets - looking for the deepies!)

No machine/detector will hit that dime buried below that extension or any other object ----PERIOD---as Obama would say.
Now you can take the extension and put the dime under it with them touching it may hit then from two sides but not after you rotate 90geg.

Take a dime and place it on the ground and turn a short glass upside down over it dead center and then place a nail or some other disc out object on top of the glass and see if you get a hit.

All part of the learning process.
Jpiddle

j piddle said:
Take a dime and place it on the ground and turn a short glass upside down over it dead center and then place a nail or some other disc out object on top of the glass and see if you get a hit.

All part of the learning process.
Jpiddle

I'm just recreating environments where I've found goodies before, after first finding large iron objects nearer the surface. This is probably one of the toughest targets to hit in the garden, aside from a 10" dime under a can slaw bed at 4-6" from the surface - the point of a garden like this is to test the limits of any detector and get to know what it's trying to tell you in a challenging situation. It has to be as close to reality as possible in my opinion, so much so that some targets just won't get found by certain detectors.

DukeOBass I don't want to redirect your thread - but for me the Deus so far is like having the separation of a smaller coil with the depth and coverage of a larger one. And, if you're coming from a CTX, Deus will feel like a toy it's so lightweight. I've only had mine 1 month - but I've found so many goodies so close to home which was "hunted out" shortly after I moved there 3 years ago. I've pulled LITERALLY hundreds (maybe almost 200 total) coins from my 40' X 50' front yard plus sidewalk strip since I got the Deus - some silver, some jewelry, etc. It is still hard to believe what the other detector (CZ-6) couldn't see due to iron contamination, and I've owned a CZ since 1995. Coins on edge especially near concrete are no problem - there were MANY of those next to the driveway...easily detectable!

I have only a 4' X 15' section of sidewalk strip remaining that I haven't cleared of non-ferrous targets yet - who knows what's living there!

You will find your share of iron initially but once you can hear the difference in the audio and then verify that with a jumpy (or not) VDI then your iron finds will lessen. Be prepared to find a lot of nails and other iron in the hole with good targets with Deus (at least I do on a regular basis). I sometimes get iron falsing with 6" deep or more large nails, like a 16d or 20d size, but I'm betting my GB is off when this happens.

Thanks for the encouragement and for sharing your experience with the XP. Mine is on the UPS truck out for delivery so I should have it today. I'm going to need help. I've only used MineLab machines.

Looking forward to some good reports, minelab user here looking to convert but like everyone who only wants to move up.

I had a ctx, now a deus. I sold the ctx after I got the deus, as I planned on keeping both.
I sold the minelab to cover cost of a necessary home repair.
One day I may pick up another ctx, I really liked it and served me well.
Surprisingly, it was not a hard adjustment going from one to the other.
The deus menu is a bit easier to navigate if you ask me.
One neat thing is that I was able to set up my 2 tone hunting tones I was used to on the ctx and put them on the deus. I didn't have to re-train my ears.
It's just like learning to drive a new car. Incredible similarities, and the differences lie inthe 'feel' and response.
Personally, I don't think there is a huge learning curve coming from a ctx to a deus.
Your swinging arm will immediately thank you however!

I'm counting on it!