Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I ve just received Ron's meter!!!

Thegreat26

I am writing this just to inform everybody here that Ron's meter are known also in the Island of Cyprus from now on.
I would like to thank Ron for the easy and friendly approach.
I just receive the meter from the post office and i am giving it a test. Hopefully i am detecting later on.
Dear Ron thanx for everything .After i saw that the manual that you ve sent me is handwritten i just realized how much you love what you are doing and that you keep it as a hobby like everybody else here.
Your work is more than appreciated.

Thanx Ron ,
i am just trying to figure out the numbers of the coins that i mostly hunt in Cyprus. I went hunting today and believe me this is one great tool in my hands.

Dig everything for a while so you can find out what targets are reading as what and then make yourself a chart or something. You'll also notice that oddly shaped junk usually changes by about 3 digits or more depending on which way you sweep over it when moving around the target. Coins and rings should lock onto one or maybe two VDI #s. Rarely 3. Especially on the deep stuff you've got to do the "Sovereign wiggle" to pull the best ID out of the target. Wiggle the coil back and fourth or do real short constant sweeps over the target to stabilize the VDI on the deep stuff. If it keeps changing VDIs all over the place and sounds soft then it's probably too deep to give it's proper VDI, but if it locks onto or hovers around 1 to say 3 VDI numbers or so then you can probably bet it's that target. Deep coins at the fringes might only get up into the 150's or so and never lock onto a number, but they'll be so deep and soft that you will know they should be given that kind of trouble. The key is if it does lock onto a VDI # like say 150 or something then chances are it's junk (or a ring or something) and not a deep coin that is trying to climb. Fortunately, even super deep coins on the GT will usually climb to 180 if you wiggle good over them. It's just the very fringe edge of the detection field where they can't make it up to the proper number, but you'll hear those hints of high tone in there telling you it's trying to climb.

ok most of my targets were old bronze and copper coins. i ve noticed that all those target are read from 160 to 170. But the numbers after the coin is locked are jump maybe 3 to 4 numbers. But i think this is normal.
One stupid question. I do not know what type of coin should i use for calibration as the whole range of coins i am finding is completely different.
Or no calibration is needed( i suppose since the maximum i get is 180 then my calibration is ok).

TheGreat,newer US nickles will bounce a little.LOL i should have shipped a US coin.I think its normal but keep me posted.I have users in Singapore and their coins give different readings.Thanks Ron

Ok i will make a number chart for my occasion and let u know.

Obviously a silver coin the size of a quarter or a dime (or even bigger for that matter like a half dollar or dollar sized) should read 180 on your meter, so I'd use a silver coin to set it to 180. Lacking that, a good size silver ring (not a real thin one) laid on it's side should also read 180, so use that to set it if you can't find a silver coin to calibrate it with. Very thin or small silver jewelry can read a bit lower, like say 173 to 176 or up to 179 or so if not all the way to 180, so if you do use a silver ring make sure it isn't super thing and lay it on it's side when using it. Keep the coil AT LEAST 4 to 6" away from whatever you use to set it. You don't want to smother the target with the coil 3" or less away from the target as that can make things a bit particular when setting things. If you are calibrating it around the house then run it in Auto or with the lowest manual setting as the machine can get a bit unstable around electrical stuff.

Thank you very much

I wonder how many hours we can expect out of the battery before it needs replaced? I'm guessing it probably runs a VERY long time because these volt meters don't draw hardly any current at all. Ron, you got an opinion on that? I bet you wouldn't need to replace it for at least a year or more. That's about the same run time I get out of my Pro Pointer's battery too.

Critter,I have three seasons on the battery with my original meter.You are correct very little battery drain. Thanks Ron

Thin gold islamic coin.103 locked :)

Ron from Michigan said:
Critter,I have three seasons on the battery with my original meter.You are correct very little battery drain. Thanks Ron

Three years is pretty outstanding, and by the sound of it you still haven't replaced it?