Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I want to know Why :shrug:

HotTexas

I've got a baseball field, built around 1950, I have pulled hundreds and hundreds of coins from this site, it has 4 fields, and dirt parking, some gravel, They do not use it anymore as of about 8 years ago. The stands, light poles, snack bar are all gone.

The deepest coin I have found is about 4 to 4 1/2 inches, It's very hard ground and hard to dig black dirt on white chalk rock, so coins can't go very deep I have found many wheat cents, almost as many dimes as I have pennies.
Dates on coins dimes and quarters any where from 1965 and on, I'm sure I'm not the only one that has detected there.

But Why No Silver? :shrug: Tell me why, It's boggling my mind. :huh: Is it just my luck or what? :cry: :lol:

Well, 2 things:

1) There is silver, you just havent found it yet

2) It's been landscaped in the past....the top 4-5 inches of soil/grass has been removed and fresh sod or black soil has repleaced it. That would explain why the dates on the coins are limited.

Haven't thought of that one. Thanks John :thumbup: But even in the parking lots, I mean were talking about a lot of ground for a little league.

I have 2 places that I like to hunt that are the same way. Plenty of wheaties, but never pulled a silver out of either. I just figured it was karma moving the silver away from me as payment for something I had done earlier in life! I think that at some time, someone must have gone through and picked the areas. If that were the case though, I'd expect to still find the silver dimes, since I'm finding the wheaties. :shrug: Maybe one day my luck will change in these locations.
Good luck and keep digging!
Darren

I've seen 2 parks in my area that date back to the 50's and they scraped the top 6" off and resurfaced the whole park area. I even detected the scraped area and only found a few wheaties.

Its a curse Hot T.U R simply cursed. :rofl:Now U move on to the next location and forget about that field. (Just messin wit ya), but it is strange sometimes on an old homestead when you can find ten thousand wheats and no silver, or just one silver dime. You woudnt think a silver dime was any deeper than a copper wheat penny in your ground situation.

Maybe the silver was picked back in the 70's. My grandfather had cookie tins full of silver from detecting in the 70's.

BCOOP

My house was built in 1880's, found plenty of wheats and a few Indian heads and lately a Large Cent-but only one silver dime. Hit every bit of lawn many times, no silver, but I do always seem to find something new. Don't get me wrong, not complaining but ya gootta wonder about the silver. Also found several shotgun brass that date pre 1934. And I've lived here 33 years and don't know of any major landscaping/scraping. Boggles my mind too!

One has to remember that back in those days people made very little money so were not flush with silver coins becauyse a nickel or a penny bought a world of things and people carried any silver they might have in coin purses, not loose in their pants pocket and if they dropped a coin they hunted for it tillthey found it as it was just too valuable. One has to relate to the times, the economy then, how much people eraned, etc. When I was a kid a quarter was a fortune - equal to about twenty five bucks today. A quarter back then would pay my way into a movie, buy me a box of popcorn, a candy bar, and a coke. Equate that to what that same scenario costs today. Back then you could buy a new car for a few hundred bucks. It's just simple historic mathematics.

During the Depression my mom worked in a hotel seven days a week, twelve hours a day, for seven dollars a week. Do you think she was carefree and frivilous with her silver coins

Bill

Yeah what little silver that was available was scooped up back then and in the sixties. Since the detectors of that era were quite primitive one had to dig everything so not much was left behind - plus detectors have been around since the early thirties. It's not to hard to figure out.

Bill

In the old days the penny was the coin of the realm and people had many more of them than silver. A penny used to buy what a buck buys today.

Bill

people cherry picked it clean, but I bet they didn't get every thing, clean the layers off and you will find silver, if you are still finding coins there, I would hunt it forever