Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I want to like my new xp deus but so far not impressed....

darkhollow

Howdy- New to this forum but I've been digging fanatically since 1990. It took a big jump, but in mid June I decided to buy a new deus for the first time. I took it out 3-4 times and was really loving it- I have burcitus/ tendonitis in my swinging shoulder/neck and LOVED the design/ weight/ balance, etc., and once I went to a heavily hit trashy old house site and realized how great the machine is in hot ground by cranking up the reactivity/silencer I was sold- made a couple killer CW finds in a spot I've walked over with the F75 and AT Gold. All was good.
Well....after my 4th or 5th time out, even lthough like the other times I only used it for 4 hours or so, I came home and "topped off" the 3 batteries so I'd have a full charge for the next time out. Nope, coil wasnt charging correctly- no solid liight indicatting charging in process and the ac plug red light was flickering, not solid bright red. The other two batteries charged correctly, just the coil was not. Contacted Moe and he said sounds like a bad coil charge clip and kindly sent me a new one. Same problem ensued. So, they said to send it up to Mass. & they would look at it. (Shipping out of pocket on a detector a month old is not something which fills you with joy.) They promptly looked at the coil and replaced it...By last Thurs. I had it back and it charged correctly- yea!- back in the saddle, right!? Yep- for one time out. Took it out Friday for several hours and it worked great- no problems. I like the tracking Gb feature so have been using that quite a bit the few times I've used the deus, including Thurs. and it worked great.
Yesterday returned to the trashy house site where I was so impressed by the deus initially. Intending to have the same settings I used the last time there which included gb tracking, I turned the detector on and quickly realized the machine wasnt tracking, both gb display boxes staying on 90 as I began to walk around the site that previously was about 78-82. No change.. Concerned, I tried pumping in several areas I know there isnt trash and it failed each time iin places where it suceeded a couple weeks earlier. In manual, it would let me change the gb, but the top "ground mineralization index" box stayed at 90 as I detected areas where I know it's not 90. I tried digging using my manual estimate gb but I could tell it wasnt the same machine as the last time I was at the site- a lot chattier with the exact same settings, save for the gb issue.
Came home yesterday and after checking out the machine outside, see that gb 90 in the upper box stays there on every program no matter where I walk with it, tracking doesnt work on any program- stays at 90 no matter what, and pumping fails every time every where. in spots where it succeeded before.
I decided to reload the 3.2, so I did that and when I took it out to test the it GB problems continued and to make matters worse, it was not beeping at ANY metal, large or small, with the gb stuck at the default 90. This only changed when I manually turned the gb to about 70-75, then it would beep over metal. Very concerning, because before this latest slew of issues kicked in, it would def. beep on default 90gb even if that wasnt the "ideal" gb.
Decided to try 2.0- nope, same problems. Now am back to the 3.2 upload with no change. Looks like I'm sending it in again this week (more out of pocket money on shipping for a new detector- good times!) since I'm guessing the gb "freeze" is probably due to a problem in the coil .
I've owned many Fishers, Whites, and Garretts over the years and have never come close with any of them in having problems this soon after purchasing them. Trust me, the few times the deus worked, I LOVED it! I can tell it's a great machine, but so far it's been a miserable experience. and I'm truly regretting my purchase. And it's not due to it's design or capabilities- as I said I love it- it's due to equipment failure.
Am I missing something here or am I just having incredibly bad luck with the deus?

That's just bad luck--you seem to have tried all the troubleshooting steps, so I agree with you, probably a bad coil. Send everything in to be sure. I also had a bad coil early on (9 inch) and had to have it replaced. In the past year I've seen/heard enough stories about people with coil problems to wonder if there's a higher failure rate with Deus coils than with other detectors. As you've already pointed out, it's more money and time without a detector that you had no idea you'd have to sacrifice when you bought it. Good luck.

Ready to buy and I read this post. First bad one I have read in forums.
Maybe just keep swinging the lower price units.

I would say a run of bad luck. When I bought my new Deus the only thing I had any problem with was the control unit display was slightly tilted. By slightly I mean about 1mm. But, being my picky self I couldn't stand it so sent it in. I had a new controller actually in my hands before I sent the new one in. The service was that good, actually, service was awesome! Had mine now for a little over 8 months now and no problems of any sort.

Deus is not the only detector company with any sort of problems. When I bought my new Whites V3i several years ago I used it for about 3 months and the 10 inch DD coil started getting really noisy at higher gain and was shock or concussion sensitive when it hit any debree on the ground. Called Whites and they mailed me out a brand new coil, even let me keep the old one.

Stuff happens, it's a man-made electronic device. Component failures do occur. I can honestly say I have not heard of very many Deus failures on this site or any other Deus related site.
Keep the Faith, it is a great machine. The US Deus repair team will make it right for you.:thumbup:

Best of luck and today I'm not buying.
Second MFG. which I have spent weeks and many hours learning the units.
It was a great learning process.
Best to read and read prior to buying.

Yes they will make it right for the consumer.
Shipping will cost and the time to pack is an issue also.
Sad that I read this late Sunday night!

Maybe and ounce of gold today instead with no cost in shipping.
Someday I may swing a XP but not today.:cry:

pumping has its problems many times it just dont work

Maybe try rematching the coil number to the controller and delete the original for that coil in the controller. Something else to try since you already redid the controller download.

If you not happy with the deus and can't learn it then get the Racer...I have both and they are great machines.

I do love the Deus, but discussion of component failure got me curious to look back at posts about problems people have experienced and posted here on this forum. I went as far back as August of last year in THIS FORUM--which is when I experienced an equipment failure. All of the following posts are about coil malfunctions...not remotes or headphones or any accessory, just coils. I understand the Deus is a man-made electronic machine and subject to failure like any other detector, but consider the fact that unlike most detectors, the heart of the detector is in the coil itself which statistically subjects itself to an increased number of problems that can go wrong versus a non-wireless coil. I love the Deus and will never revert to a machine with lesser capability, but I do hope the manufacturer can do something to reduce problems so we can all avoid similar inconveniences Darkhollow has had to deal with.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2210383,page=1
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2161720,page=1
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2156165
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2138640,page=2
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2141104
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2127566,page=2
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2127566,page=3
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2108873
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?83,2097600

Hey just wanted to say thanks go all the folks with helpful words/ comments- esp. Tom adirondack and Beepsilver. And Lowboy I'm sure the racer is great but I like the deus, I just need one that works!!!
Based on my recent experience I will easily agree with Beepsilver that the weak point in the Deus is in the durability/ reliability (NOT the effectiveness!) day in day out in a coil which contains the heart of the machine. If xp can correct that it would be great! That being said, it aint customer support that's the problem- talked to Moe today and he couldnt believe my bad luck & has promptly sent me a new coil and shipping sticker to send back the faulty one free. Their great service is most appreciated during such a frustrating time. I cant wait for this coil to hopefully work so I can enjoy this machine on a regular basis!
Hopefully I'll post here in a week or so telling of smooth operation and a happy deus owner!

Darkhollow - I am very sorry for your misfortune, I know XP will make it right and you will be one happy Deus owner!

In one of the older posts, Andy made this comment:
Andy Sabisch said:
Not saying electronics never have issues but I will say I have had less problems with XP units that other brands of late. Coil problems are few and far between so to get two bad ones back to back makes me wonder if there is another issue afoot.

Just some thoughts / comments from the peanut gallery

Be smart get your money back fast that is a lemon !!

i was at an Deus bootcamp and met the guys from detecting america and they are great and genuine guys. they will take care of you. contact them directly.
508-460-6244

Glad to see you back up and running Darkhollow. I think you'll be very happy with the Deus. I agree, Moe and associates at Detector Electronics are great to deal with.

Now, go to the bootcamp put on by Andy and Charlene and find out how and why to work this machine.