Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was about to give up... then first IH!

atomicscott

Hi Everybody!
I found another old home site that dates back to 1905, which is the oldest map I have, so I'm not sure how far back the area actual dates. So far this year as far as old coins, I have only found 5 wheatys (plus 2 with the trusty F2) the oldest being a 1945. In this new spot there is just an empty field, with a few trees and no sign of a foundation, etc.. My go-to spot is always the biggest trees, so this is where I started. I was swinging the XT 505 with the 18.75 kHz 6" DD coil in AM 99 tones. the whole area was filled with iron and aluminum trash with a lot of 48 iron signals mixed with the other trash. After about 2 hours I was about to call it quits. All I had dug of any interest at all were old beavertails. I figured on a whim I would go to the middle of the field and start making an imaginary grid along the plow lines. there was still a good bit of trash here but I got a good signal and it was the brass buckle about 4" down. About 15 ft away, I got a good high tone with a 27-30 ID. I figured it may be a zinc, but I had a feeling it was something good, like an IH. When I dug the hole the pinpointer hit on a piece of iron, but I knew that didn't make sense as the tone was high. Sure enough, when I re-checked the hole, there was the Indian Head! I could barely recognize it, but when I saw where it said "one cent" I knew it wasn't another wheaty! It's not pretty and I can't make out a date, but it's still my first one. About 1 foot from the IH I got a solid copper tone (36 ID#) that hit hard! About 6" down was the pocket watch case. I was stoked, it really looked antique. It's made by Keystone Case Co. I believe that they were no longer made after 1903. I started to find a lot of broken dishes, etc.. in this area, I will be going back tomorrow! Take Care and HH, Scott

Congratulations on the IH! :clapping:

I'd go back there too. Judging by your finds, it looks like it has the potential for more goodies. :cool:

Nice going,Scott! I love Native American pennies. Hahaha!
No really, great. Now get on that silver.

awesome finds Scott! Keep us updated with your additional finds out there. I love seeing those old relics from homesteads!

Congrat's on your first IH, WTG

I do a lot of field hunting and I would say your in the right area with what you have found so far and the broken dishes.

Congratulations on your first indian. I hope you find many more.

Thanks alot guys. I am hoping to get back out there today. I know exactly where I'm going to start! I will keep you posted. HH

Nice job!

Get yourself a brass coin brush and you'll safely be able to clean a coin like that a see the date. I've head some that are pretty crusty and they turned out to be really nice once I used the brass brush on them.

mapper65 said:
Nice job!

Get yourself a brass coin brush and you'll safely be able to clean a coin like that a see the date. I've head some that are pretty crusty and they turned out to be really nice once I used the brass brush on them.
Thanks so much for the tip! I was hoping to be able to read a date somehow. I went back to the site 2 days ago, and behold, ANOTHER pocket watch! This one appears to have a silver (or plated) case and the workings are still in it although very corroded. Will post it later, I'm going back today so hopefully the next pocket watch will be gold! Lol! Thanks again, Scott