Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was approached by a young women in the park today!:yikes:

Craig

The first thing I thought was she was going to tell me I couldn't detect in the park! I was readying myself for a confrontation(As I have permission from the Parks director) The first thing she said to me is "what are you doing"(Very politely) .I said metal detecting for coins etc... I asked her if she worked for the parks and she said she was a reporter for a local paper. She wanted to know all about detecting as she thought it looked like a lot of fun! She was a real sweetheart. I showed her all the trash I was digging, pull tabs etc... Of course the clad change. She wanted to know if I would give her permission to do a human interest story on me and detecting, and the hobby. She even asked me f I would teach her how to use my detector, pin pointer, and dig a plug.
So I taught her a few things and away she went. Wouldn't you know it but the first target she hit was a small broken silver chain. She just couldn't believe it! She hit several other target such as pull tabs, zinc pennies. She asked me what I did with all the trash I was digging. I told her I, recycle all recyclable items. Pull tabs go to the Ronald McDonald House to help pay for children's medical care. She really liked the way I was replacing my plugs. She said that she could hardly tell where I had been.
At the end of our little session she said this hobby was addicting, and she said she would even like a detector for herself. Also one of her comments was "your doing a public service by taking away the trash".
As I sit here and think about today, I always try to keep a low profile in public parks and this would bring a lot of publicity to our hobby. Some busy body will say I am destroying the grass and try to put a stop to detecting in our area.
I need opinions on what I should do or not do? :shrug:

24 and single:cheers:

You have already mentioned the good things about the hobby. You know what to promote. The hobby needs good press. Sounds like a very nice day.

I think that encounter was a plus for our hobby. Seems like everything worked out the way is should have to give metal detecting a good light in the publics eye. Glad she asked about the trash. I guess the only thing that would have been icing on the cake is if you showed her the permission form so she knew that we in the hobby always make sure we get permission when need be.

Great story.

Good on ya Craig! Thank you for being a great ambassador for our hobby! - Terry

Hey I don't carry a camera for protection, so you'll have to take me for my word!!!!!

Hey I even forgot it was April 1st, so take me for my word!

You know we really are are own worst enemy when it comes to our bad press. These groups, park managers, and politicians that appear to be shutting us down get a lot of there press from us complaining about holes not being filled, people detecting with out permission as well as the relics they took, and the general negatives of our hobby. It would be GOOD business to publicly show the true worth of the hobby.

Dew

sounds good to me all the way around! So how did drinks and dinner go?

Go with the flow. The more you help educate the public, the more they will favor our hobby. Being a gentleman to a young woman is just good manners. WTG.

[size=medium]I can totally believe what happened to you. A week ago, I was metal detecting the beach and was approached by a very attractive bikini clad young woman about 25 y/o and she ended up giving me a $100 bill. Go to the Safari/Quattro forum for the full TRUE!!!! story. The post reads WHAT WOULD YOU DO $100!!! I only wish I had took a photograph of her for proof...if there is a next time I will...this really did happen![/size]