Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was going to try and wear the ID Excel out next week but

Mike in Ky

Doesn't look like that's going to happen now. My son's school is on fall break next week so I got the week off to do some detecting and take a small vacation. I've spent the last 2 days with a IV in my arm taking antibiotics and steriods trying to get rid of pneumonia. They say I have a pretty bad case of it. The Doc wanted me to go into the hospital on Friday but I said no way. Talk about some crappy luck. Oh well, I guess it will get better soon, I hope. Maybe the whole week won't get shot.

Mike

When I am cabin bound I do things like.

http://www.findmall.com/read.php?35,200353,200353#msg-200353
or
http://www.findmall.com/read.php?35,191678,191678#msg-191678

Hope you can get out soon.

HH
BarnacleBill

I am down in the back and they want to give me shots,They told me to do some walking,I ask my wife if I used her ID Excel she would have to dig what I find,well now my head hurts and my back. Hope you get out hunting soon.I send alot of time reading on the forums and going over old mags, going nuts in this house and in pain.

I had back surgery 26 yrs. ago. I guess I've been lucky with that. You learn to live with a certain amount of pain and go on. Also pain pills don't hurt either. I just can't stand it when I can't hardly breathe. Having pneumonia right now is about to drive me nuts . Yeah, I've been reading some of my older magazines too that I hadn't totally read in the past. All I hope for now is to get well enough to take my son to the Smokey Mountains this week while he is on his fall break from school. Best of luck Tom.

Mike

Take a couple weeks to play with it, then take it to some places with heavy iron infestation.

Don't know what machines you have used in the past, but iron ridden places that can make you crazy with other machines become ho-hum. If you get out much, a month from now, you'll be saying "I can't believe this thing saw that target in this trash".

If you get an iffy target in iron, use the PP to make sure it is not the edge of a large piece of iron. If there are two high point readings, center over each and do a short swing and then @ 90deg. You'll be amazed, as my old buddy Justin Wilson used to say, "I garanteeee!"

10 days or so ago I pulled a wheatie co-located with a rusty 2 inch flatwasher down around 8 inches in wet beach sand. There were no other targets nearby, and the Excel was showing positive and negative, and this had been missed by a CZ, Tejon, BH QDII, StingrayII. I'm still shaking my head. By the way the washer came up first and thought I was fooled, nope the Excel was right.

And a warning, the little sucker becomes addictive, you want to reach for every time and leave the other machines to home. Not a good thing since you lose your chops with the other machines.

HH
BarnacleBIll

on the other forum which one you decided to go with. Good choice Phil! Now get some time in with and then start posting those western Ghost Town finds!

HH Tom

Tom,

It was really a tough decision, just about a dead heat between the 1236-x2 and the Excel, but the Excel won out. I'm just about beside myself - I'm so anxious to try it. I'm confident that once I've learned it, I can find some dandy stuff in our ghost towns. And, if I like it as much as I think I will, there'll be the added bonus of the cash I'll get from selling one of my overly-complicated (and hopefully less productive - compared to the Excel) machines!!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Bill,

It's a wee bit frightening how much I'm looking forward to getting some time on this machine. Especially when I consider the locales available for hunting here that most people give up on due to the large amounts of iron trash. I'll be looking to you and Tom and all the other great posters on this forum if I have any difficulties.

Thanks for everything.

Many machines have a very expressive, nuanced analog audio response, to "me" this is not the case on the Excel. It tends towards the more digitally manufactured to my ears, and the split tones (bi-tones) are not appealing to me.

When hunting in trash the magic happens with the display, that is where the expressiveness can be gleaned. So when I get a tone, I look at the display, and the display updates much quicker than the audio in my estimation. So I guess you could say I hunt in audio mode, and disc in visual mode, when wading thru trash.

Keep in mind others here may have different styles or opinions, but that's what makes this a forum, even though I know I'm right. :devil:

HH
BarnacleBill

...most of the time when I've PAID for advice, I've regretted it - like investment advice, etc.

I'll gladly take any advice anyone wants to give that will help me maximize my abilities with this machine.

...and I'll thank every one of my advisors. :please: :please: :please:

While I'm not entirely sure I understand all of what you've suggested :nerd:, I'm hoping it will become clearer in my first several of many hours spent with the Excel.

I'll let you know!

Mike in Ky Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doesn't look like that's going to happen now. My
> son's school is on fall break next week so I got
> the week off to do some detecting and take a
> small vacation. I've spent the last 2 days with a
> IV in my arm taking antibiotics and steriods
> trying to get rid of pneumonia. They say I have a
> pretty bad case of it. The Doc wanted me to go
> into the hospital on Friday but I said no way.
> Talk about some crappy luck. Oh well, I guess it
> will get better soon, I hope. Maybe the whole week
> won't get shot.
> Mike

Just get one of those IV stands with really big wheels. Then you can still get out and swing your coil with the other arm...
Tagamet

BarnacleBill Wrote:
> Take a couple weeks to play with it, then take it
> to some places with heavy iron infestation.
> ...you'll be saying
> "I can't believe this thing saw that target in
> this trash".
> ... You'll be amazed, ...
>... thought I was fooled, nope the Excel was right.
> And a warning, the little sucker becomes
> addictive, you want to reach for every time and
> leave the other machines to home. Not a good
> thing since you lose your chops with the other
> machines.
> HH
> BarnacleBIll

I just hope HALF of the above comes true (lol). I have a great site (a pub) from the mid 1800's that is just riddled with iron. I know there are good targets there, but simply cannot overcome the iron with either a Tejon or a Garrett 1500. I guess the C$ will get it's shot (eventually).
Big Red went the extra mile and got my C$ shipped today so it may arrive Saturday! (rubs sweaty little hands together). I go out dirtfishing everyday after work for at least 2 hours, though it's getting dark pretty early these days. It'll be interesting to see how it runs side-by-side with the Tejon.
Thanks,
Tagamet
PS I'm not familiar with the "lose your chops" phrase...

Phillip_in_NM Wrote:
> Bill,
> It's a wee bit frightening how much I'm looking
> forward to getting some time on this machine.
> Especially when I consider the locales available
> for hunting here that most people give up on due
> to the large amounts of iron trash. I'll be
> looking to you and Tom and all the other great
> posters on this forum if I have any difficulties.
> Thanks for everything.

DITTO!

Tagamet

I had this vision of you out with your wife, swinging the coil and then you "going on point" like a good bird dog, pointing to where she should dig...
Sorry for the "dark humor", but if you don't laugh, you'll cry (I've had back surgery too and it ain't fun)
TRY to take your time getting better.
Tagamet

Tom E IL Wrote:
> I am down in the back and they want to give me
> shots,They told me to do some walking,I ask my
> wife if I used her ID Excel she would have to dig
> what I find,well now my head hurts and my back.
> Hope you get out hunting soon.I send alot of time
> reading on the forums and going over old mags,
> going nuts in this house and in pain.

keep in mind I'm not one of those uppity C$ users, just a lowly Excel ID minion. So if you get in trouble in the iron you'll have to ask some of the other iron hounds, I'm sure they'll be happy to help you.

"Lose your chops" refers to putting down and not using a musical instrument for a while. Then when you go to play, it takes a while to get back up to speed. In this instance for you, using the Tejon everday you attain a certain fine tuned level, say in listening to the audio in iron. But then don't use it for a month, and you take a little bit to get your skill level up.

The Excel which I refered to tempts one this way, kind of like a Dutch Mistress(did I say that?). :lol:

Have fun out there!

BarnacleBill