Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was wondering if anyone on this forum could date this house.

John 'n' W.Va

All the nails are square and it sets on field stone.

I have been working 6-10 for 3 years now and it is all about to come to an end. (That's the construction business.) And I want to do some heavy duty detecting.

I have lived here in the country for about three years. All the homes are spaced pretty far apart. There are hundreds of acres of woods behind my house. Strange thing is, at the back of my property down over the hill, is a small clearing with this old house. My neighbor down the road owns it and says it is from the early 1800's. I don't think it is. Problem is he won't let me MD it. He thinks I am going to find something valuable on it. I even offered him a detector so he could MD it with me. It is so tempting to walk down over the hill about 200 feet in the woods and MD it.

[attachment 186441 Snow1_21_2011014.jpg]

[attachment 186442 Snow1_21_2011017.jpg]

He also owns this abandoned house down the road about a 1/4 of a mile from me. NO METAL DETECTING!:detecting:

[attachment 186443 Snow1_21_2011021.jpg]

PS: This guy keeps eating my fruit trees. I think I have her over for dinner. If anyone knows any deer deterrents, let me know.

[attachment 186447 Snow1_22_2011049.jpg]

Square nails went out of common use in the 1880 to 1900 era. So I'm thinking the owner is probably pretty close in his estimate of age. A shame he won't let you detect as there may well be some interesting artifacts and/or old coins in the area.
BB

to me, the first one looks early1900. in ga there are a lot on the field stone or saw cut limestone,circa....1880 or so. you did construction, think it could have been updated so to speak before? the firegrates may have a foundry name and date, it thats what i am seeing in the fireplace. if you can, library, old maps of land, may give ballpark date, by who purchased, maybe census dates, etc. if was in city like mine, fire company maps were dated pre 1900 in macon, ga. we use them a lot!

as for your deer, paw in law listened to local in the sticks where he moved. deer were raiding his garden, as well as coons in the corn. he was told to just put up an electric fence, a few posts is all, couple of rounds of wire, and coat the wire with a generous helping of peanut butter! just use a rag and wipe it on. boy that worked fine, felt bad for the deer, and almost for paw in law when he went to re coat it and forgot to turn it off first! heh heh heh! the critters will go for the peanut butter. can you imagine sticking your tongue to one. we talked a cousin into relieving himself once on one.....we will let that one go, the whipping we got might have hurt worse, but ah well, let it go....

as for hunting it anyway.. naw could cause a stink and legal problems, as well as get locals involved in a new ordinance for other places, seen that happen in parks before, by diggers leaving holes and tearing it up. only takes one complaint to right person. tresspassing is a misdemeanor, dont need that. may be an open well on the place, dangerous! good luck on that one i would love to hunt that one too!

almost for paw in law when he went to re coat it and forgot to turn it off first! heh heh heh! the critters will go for the peanut butter. can you imagine sticking your tongue to one. we talked a cousin into relieving himself once on one.....we will let that one go, the whipping we got might have hurt worse, but ah well, let it go....:crylol::rofl:
The Best laugh in a while. I have hit an electric wire that is used to keep cows in the pasture, and IT HURTS!

Not sure what Big Bob was talking about. Here in Ind. that house would defiantly be early 1800s. But old atlas' would help. Thats a place we all look for.

Dew

I am amazed that someone would think my pictures could be from a magazine. I think you were talking about the deer, since the house was nothing to look at. I love taking pictures of nature. I don't have the money to throw into a really good camera. I love the ability to take close ups of wild life with my Canon Power Shot SX 10 IS with 20 X zoom. I haven't posted much in the last couple years. I have been building a power plant 6 day a week and bought a fixer upper house. No time for detecting. But my style is to try to slip in a nature shot at the end of my post. Here are the other pictures of the deer that were not quite up to par.

This one they were mostly hidden.
[attachment 186531 Image2deer.jpg]

This one still not good.
[attachment 186532 Image3deer.jpg]

This one was cute, but a little blurry.
[attachment 186533 Image4deer.jpg]

This one was OK, but the close up was the one I liked best!
[attachment 186534 Image5deer.jpg]

Talk to the owner and say your old house really intrigues me and am a camera bug and would like to take some pictures. After the pictures give them to the owner and may be an in for your second hobby. I know a club member that uses this approach and just might get you some good detecting area..

There isn't any problem in getting in good with the owner. Friendly guy. When there is a heavy snow, he will come by and plow my drive way for me with his big tractor. He tells me to look the old place over. He is just the horse trader type. He is trying to sell his place for a million dollars and it might be worth 400 thousand. He thinks this old place behind my house, is a valuable historical land mark worth lots of money.

I'm sure my son could help ya with the deer problem.

The spray on deer repellant like tree nurserys us all have some form of capscin in em lile pepper spray etc.a lot of places I:E yor local garden center should have it for homeowners use.

Woodchuck said:
The spray on deer repellant like tree nurserys us all have some form of capscin in em lile pepper spray etc.a lot of places I:E yor local garden center should have it for homeowners use.

Those suckers eat my habaneros!!

I'm with dixiedigger on the smaller home being late 19th century. Large one, late 1820's to mid '40's. Thing with that style is it mostly ended pre Civil War but...were still built for commercial use much later. Fireplace suggests (very strongly) the earlier period. Framing joinery is key in dating these....bet a pro could date this to within 5 years by observing this aspect alone.

nw1886 said:
I'm with dixiedigger on the smaller home being late 19th century. Large one, late 1820's to mid '40's. Thing with that style is it mostly ended pre Civil War but...were still built for commercial use much later. Fireplace suggests (very strongly) the earlier period. Framing joinery is key in dating these....bet a pro could date this to within 5 years by observing this aspect alone.

Great response! Really appreciated.

The small house looks like it has logs under the boards.

The chimneys are in the wrong place for an earlier house. Civil war era houses most all had the chimney at the end of the house, on an outside wall.

Try cutting up a few bars of Irish Spring soap around the area you want to keep the deer away from. Just shave the soap with your pocketknife.... it seems to work pretty well.