Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I was wondering why no one has mentioned the compass line of detectors since

champ

they are older analog units!Can compass units make a comeback? I would think with this new forum, those with the compass detectors that they would have extended family in the world of detecting.
What a great hobby!!! For the old $ new detectors.
Someone say something!

reality is reality and Compass is not a force in this industry any more. They were in the 70's, for sure, and hit-and-miss during the 80's, but they were on a downward slide by 1990 and so far as I am concerned, they are history.

Yes, they had a number of analog display models that were rather good .. IN THEIR DAY.

But there is more to a dependable, decent-performing detector than just the type of display and Compass lost it a long time ago. The nature of modern detector technology calls for the minds of people like John Earle, who had some good stuff but was also limited by management. George Payne's initial work on his re-do to make the Coin Scanner Pro (the original Coin Scanner was John Earle's design based on the varifilter and George Payne did a very nice job of coming close to copying the great performance of the GOOD Big Bud models) was the last good Compass model.

Although they still eek out a hand assembled model now and then in the same physical package that's closing in on twenty years of age, they just are not anything any manufacturer is worried about. The performance is so wishy-washy inconsistent that you're not going to see any dealers pick them up to try and sell, either.

You will see some occasional discussion on the Analog Detecting Forum, I'm sure, about some of the past models, but there are very few in use any more.

Sorry,

Monte

Come on Monte,nothing on this forum is a "force in the industry"anymore.No manufacterer is worried about ANY of these detectors.Analog is about gone regardless of who made a given machine.I follow this forum because like many others I think these machines still have worthwhile Qualities.Interesting old detectors don`t necessarily have big production runs or even well known names.Long live Whites,Garett,Compass,Technetics,Bounty hunter and all the rest of them.You do interest me,though,when you speak of the "good"Big Bud models.Did this machine get cheapened up in later production runs or did something else happen?The Big Bud was really hot stuff when it was introduced.

I had a rather lengthy reply almost completed to send late last night and we lost power. Computer back up this morning so I two-finger hen pecked another reply, shorter than the first, for about 45 minutes when, ... we lost power again! So let me try a very brief response. :)

"Analog Detecting Forum"... This is MY description of what this forum is and how it came about:

A Forum site where those who appreciate the merits of Target ID detectors that feature an analog type display over digital/LCD types can gather to discuss how to use them to their fullest.

The real qualifier here is that models that fit the discussion are current, or reasonably current, makes and models that feature visual Target ID. It was the recent demise of the excellent White's XL Pro, coupled with the good size number of enthused detectorists who are still using the earlier 5900 & 6000 series White's, or Teknetic's or any other maker's analog TID's, that generated more forum discussion about these types of detectors.

I personally do not feel that the intent was to discuss all of the antiquated non-discriminating BFO and IB/TR models, or the discriminating BFO and TR's, the early VLF's or the hybrid VLF/TR-Disc. types, or all of the VLF Discrirminating models ... UNLESS THEY ALSO FEATURED MODERN TID TECHNOLOGY AND USED AN ANALOG NEEDLE-METER DISPLAY.

There are general metal detecting forums out there to discuss all of the long-gone makes and models. Just having a needle meter to provide signal intensity or battery test or a 'Trash/Treasure' needle deflection I don't feel really was the intent of this forum.

You mentioned:

"Interesting old detectors don`t necessarily have big production runs or even well known names."... That's true, but they also don't really fit the intention of this forum which was to discuss makes and models that used an analog type TID display rather than digital/LCD types.

"Long live Whites,Garett,Compass,Technetics,Bounty hunter and all the rest of them."... I'd simply correct that to:

"Long live the memories of White's, Garrett, Bounty Hubnter, D-tex, Gold Mountain, Teknetics, Tesoro, and all the MODELS that they produced before, as well as the memories of the MAKES which have passed on.

Certainly, many who have been at this a long time have some fond memories of successful days afield with some of the earlier detectors.

"You do interest me,though,when you speak of the "good"Big Bud models.Did this machine get cheapened up in later production runs or did something else happen?The Big Bud was really hot stuff when it was introduced."... George Payne developed the Big Bud, but it was really the Big Bud Pro that I really liked. The burgandy colored version with the solid 8" or 8

Monte, I know that this forum is for metered target ID analog detectors.All my posts have been made on the assumption we are talking about machines of this type.If I were to make a general reference to Fisher would you automatically assume that the ancient T-10 was what I had in mind?I am no more interested in talking about BFO or TR detectors on this forum than you are.Compass had the X-200 and Coinscanner Pro at the same time Whites had the 5900 and 6000 DI PRO.They were also contemporary with the CZ6 and,I believe,the Big Bud PRO.Why assume I`m refering to the 77B or similar detectors when I haven`t even mentioned them?

My post was also in response to my initial post which was to the general readers, not to you, specifically. I am sure that you're not referencing the older models, but that has come up by others. It was for those who think ANY needle-metered model fits this forum that I posted my response. Perhaps I misread your response as well.

The initial question was with regard to Compass models. My response was that we have, and will, see some Compass models mentioned, but not that many because when a company is no longer a serious part of the industry, many of the older models, that DO fit the intent of this forum, simply 'go away' and we no longer hear about them.

I should have addressed it to everyone and not you. Sorry. No harmful comment intended. Personaly, I would enjoy seeing more discussion about a variety of the older analog models because I know that older doesn't always mean out-of-date in the way of performance. heck, three of the four detectors in my personal battery are all discontinued models.

Have a great New Year!

Monte