Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I Was Wrong

goodmore

About a year ago on this forum I stated that my Minelab CTX could do everything that my Deus did. I sold the Deus and and basically went on with the 3030. I recently purchased another Deus and reworked some hunted grounds. The Deus found some masked coins that the 3030 would just never see. I have no intention of turning this into a detector bashing or comparison thread. I made the statement and just wanted to correct myself. They are both fine detectors and each has it's place in my arsenal. No detector does it all and sometimes that can be an expensive lesson to learn.

I wouldn't say you were wrong, just wasn't comfortable with the XP. Now that you are relearning the machine you know that each machine has it's own strengths. I still don't think that the XP has the same depth as the 3030, but I have only used it for about 30 hrs total. When the XP starts finding silver, I'll be happy with it.

I read somewhere that Alain and his team developed the Deus "to separate ferrous targets from non-ferrous targets". If this is indeed true, then it would stand to reason at least in my mind that the Deus would by this merit alone be "unbeatable" for shallower masked targets, operator experience not being a factor.

I have never swung anything Minelab, but from reading the Etrac and CTX3030 forums these guys are regularly hitting dimes at 10 inches and deeper, something that the Deus is not capable of...yet (at least in my hands). I have found a couple of 9-11" Wheats, but consistent targets for me peter out around 8" or so.

I KNOW I'm missing deeper targets at my older sites, and I'm sure a veteran Etrac or CTX user could pull many deeper keepers behind me...except no one has hunted with me who has the patience for these sites...lots of trash and deep junk! The invitation is always open, I share my hunting locations with anyone who asks...I am really just curious to see what I'm walking over that I can't quite see yet with the Deus.

The Deus is an amazing machine. I have put some time on it and it will find the deep coins that my Etrac does. I traded my Deus back for another Etrac but partly because I had a nice X-1 I was holding onto and the Etrac with an X-1 is a real pleasure to use.

Believe me the Deus is a very deep machine you just need to keep at it.

Do you guys think the 11'' coil will help with depth? Are you guy's using the 11'' coil? Thanks.

The Deus will hit deep targets. You need to set it to be deep. Combined with the 11 inch coil it will give a nice little chirp from two different directions (turn 90 degrees) but the numbers will not be there. If you get the slightest chirp from the Deus and it hits from mutliple directions you need to dig. The key is swinging slow and listening.

The one that you are comfortable with using and makes the type of finds that you are satisfied with at the end of the day.

I am not trying to sound like a wise guy but there is no one perfect detector for as I have said over the years, if there were all the other companies would be out of business. Want to start and argument? Ask some truck owners which brand is best and see the feathers fly! :surrender:

Raw detection depth is just one piece of the overall success formula . . . . if it were the only one then the serious hunters would be using PI units in trashy parks to make sure nothing was overlooked but as we know, that simply is not an option to consider. Over the years I have kept detailed records of the better finds I have made (not counting clad and the like) and to be honest, a greater percentage have come from 8" or less but in high trash or areas where multiple targets are close together. When the Deus was brought to the US, it was clear that target separation was where it stood out from the crowd but as others have said, that was the basis for its design by Alain and his team.

Detection depth did not match the E-Trac / CTX 3030 but you were comparing a 9" coil to an 11" coil so there was some bias built into that comparison. XP worked on designing an improved coil and the 11" coil was born . . .now you are comparing apples to apples so to speak. They were able to keep the target separation better than anything else out there while adding very little to the weight and gaining inches in depth. Now, on actual in ground, undisturbed targets, comparisons can be made. On extremely deep silver (high conductive targets), the Minelab machines tend to produce a stronger signal than the Deus but if you are listening for those marginal signals and use your brain to determine if they are worth digging, you can get 10" deep dimes with the Deus. Where the scale starts to tip the other way is on the lower conductive targets starting with Indian Head pennies and lower . . . here the Deus has the detection depth edge as the FBS circuit is tailored for the higher conductive targets hence the "Silver Vacuum" tagline. There are some settings that I have found are standouts for deep targets in less trashy areas that put the two neck in neck when it comes to depth.

The target separation is where the Deus pulls ahead. There is a reason people opt for TTF on the Minelab and it is to compensate for the nulling or recovery time lag that exists on the FBS processor. Being able to separate targets and analyze them allows one to pull keepers from the trashy sections of sites that others avoid.

It all comes down to what features you want, what is comfortable in your hands and what you are finding . . . . I know some very avid hunters that have never changed from a Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Silver Sabre, White's Coinmaster GT or the like and have a blast whenever they go out. Use what works for your style of hunting and when you come home with a smile each time you know you have found the PERFECT DETECTOR for you . . . . . OK, stepping down from my soapbox :cheers:

Andy

I use both the E-Trac and Deus plus others. They all have there place to use them. Don't know why but been picking up the Deus most of the time with the 11'' coil since I bought one a year ago. It is a killer in trash and fast, and so comfortable to use. Also finding it goes deep. Can't wait to waterproof it, waiting for XP's kit.

Andy as usual that was very well said.

I too found that the very deep silver seemed to sound off better with the Etrac but yet the Deus will absolutely kill those deep lower conductors.

To be honest with you I thought it was just me and not really knowing the Deus well enough.

Don't get me wrong I have pulled silver from 10" with the Deus but the "Silver vac Etrac" will do it with ease because I know the machine very well.

I just wish I could have about a half dozen machines to play with but my budget only allows one at a time.

Frank in NH said:

Frank consider yourself lucky to own so many. The most I had was 3 at one time but 2 of them were FBS machines.

I would love to give the Deus another try.

Its a pleasure to use and to learn from.

Jeff if I could only decide on three I think I would just keep Deus, E-trac and AT Gold I thick that would just about cover all my hunting needs.

I never used either of the AT series but would love to someday. I believe it was Bill S. Who once told me that dollar for dollar the AT Pro was one of the very best machines to own. Espesially if you don't have a lot to spend.

Yes, the ATP is one of the best values out there . . . . . for many hunters that want to get out but don't have a bankroll or are fanatics, the performance it provides is a tough one to beat.

Garrett listened to what the users wanted and with the ACE series and the follow-up AT models, has created a niche in the market that will be a tough one to compete with.

Andy

I have a minelab Sovereign.
I don't think it's as good as the Etrac or the CTX3030 on deep silver, but my Deus with 11" coil beats the heck out of the Sovereign with 10" or the 10x12 coil in mild Michigan soil.
I'm saving the Sovereign for saltwater beaches (prefer the disc abilities over my PI machine even though it's not as deep), else I would dump it.
It's a boat anchor and not as versatile as the Deus.