Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I went detecting today but !

nam1969

Weather here today in Louisiana was beautiful .So I went to a old abandoned high school grammar school to detect .After a short time a nice black lady drove up and ask me what I was doing. I responded looking for coins. She stated to me it was her family property .I stated to her I was under the impression it was school board property she said no they gave the school back to the family. Thanked her and left. But my ? is do they return the property, buildings, football field ect back ? I never heard of anything like that. We may detect on school property without ask here .

You could always ask for proof on property of that type. If she has to get the Sheriff to prove it , that's fine , you will comply with the result of the proof. There's no need for it to turn into a tense situation if handled correctly. If it was once public property that has been sold or returned to private hands I would think it is up to the new owner to post it as such. If the detecting was good I would definitely do some research and find out for myself and go back if she was BS-ing you.

Each situation is different and I would have done the same thing you did, just politely answered her question and moved on. In my opinion we are there to have fun and enjoy the day not get into a confirmation.

If you want to press the issue.....try contacting your county assessors. Office. To learn who the actual owner is currently. You should be able to find out.It is available for the public.

I've been "punked" like that before....i let it go for awhile until i found the real owners..(and it was an old grade school) that had been turned into apartment bldg....once i met them in person and explained what my intentions were and that i will remove all the trash and cover my holes neatly......i got a "no problem!) and a writen permisssion letter.......just something to try..
At this point.....you've got nothing to lose by double checking.... Right?
..good luck.... ! :detecting:

In my city the assessor's office is online. Very easy to look up ownership of any property with an address.
You could also go back and talk to her, you did say she was nice, ask for permission. You might be surprised.
Good luck.

In my city the assessor's office is online. Very easy to look up ownership of any property with an address.
You could also go back and talk to her, you did say she was nice, ask for permission. You might be surprised.
Good luck.

When you left, she got her metal detector out of her trunk and started detecting!!:heh:

How often have you detected this school, before this recent encounter ? And/or how long were you at it this time before she drove up ?

You've got good inputs so far. A) Assuming what she said is true, and B) Now since you are "appraised" (ie.: you know better), then C) without her permission you are now scr*wed . (Assuming it's a spot that was good, that you want to go back to.)

There are just SO many scenarios (whether grounded in truth or not) that can tend to come up when hunting urban turf. We can run into all colors and stripes of busy-bodies (that may or may not be legitimate). So ... to be honest with you .... it's gotten to where I do 90% of my turf hunting at night. So peaceful. So serene.

Never detected the school before drove past it most of my life going hunting it is the country , was there but a short time . She stated to me it was family property and no I want go back I respect her wishes . Semper Fi

As others have said, it's easy enough to check ownership of any property and in many cases you can do so right from your computer.

I try to be careful about checking out ownership of abandoned properties or vacant lots since many that I come across are indeed private property.

I've met a lot of people who metal detect but few black men and never a black lady. I know I'm stereotyping, but I doubt she was trying to ruse you out of her detecting spot.

My approach to her would have been to be very friendly and apologetic stressing that I had no idea that it was private property.

After chatting her up a bit and hopefully getting her to expound on the history of her family as well as the property while I listen intently (easy to do because I do find local history fascinating), I'd ask if she minded me detecting, pointing out how I left no trace of being there and actually made the site look better by picking up trash. And I'd whip out the biggest piece of trash I had, possibly the crushed can that stays permanently in my trash pouch for just such occasions:devil:

My friend is the mayor of Chatham , Louisiana population of 214 Will see what he has to say . One caution light , one bank , two convince stores, and restaurant .