Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I went here instead

Ed in SoDak

Since the forest road to the old mine was closed till spring, I chose this spot up the highway a few miles.

One source I trust, but now deceased, stated this is Pound Gulch, but I've never been able to verify that. Another, older description seems to place it elsewhere, though still nearby.

We've found items here, like an old stove door, that seem to date it to the approximately correct time period.

Pound Gulch got its name because one hole produced a pound of gold per day. And there's plenty of holes!

It also produces nails, cans and lots of larger iron junk in abundance. Some of the junk can be relics, like an old ax head, a buckle and that stove door, but mostly it's old cans, rusty iron parts, junk.

Ground was from 65 to 87 and FE was weak at .03 but went to .1 in one spot I checked. The machine chattered a lot, even held up in the air, so I reduced sensitivity and went to F3 frequency, which seemed to help. Still, a noisy machine to hunt with, assuming I have it set anywhere close to correct. Disc was at zero, tones 4. I was near powerlines, but later detected right beneath them and found a bushing or piece of hardware of some sort which read as zinc.

[attachment 18003 hole.jpg]

Right off the bat, I dug up a couple pieces of something. The smaller one's on the glove fingertip above. It was about 5" deep. A larger one was more shallow under some rocks. I hoped they were dirty nuggets, though they ID'd at 32-34. When I got home, I discovered they were iron scrap, magnetic. I wanted to bring a magnet with me but forgot. Still, the Alien found them, and also a small fragment of a bullet, so if I'd hit a nugget, it would have beeped.

[attachment 18004 plaidman.jpg]

Here I am, the Mighty Plaidman, comparing the T2 with the Time Ranger! I didn't actually try running both machines at once, mostly I just ran the T2 but checked a few targets with the TR. This is a pretty typical testhole for the place.

[attachment 18005 trench.jpg]

This is one of the long trenches that winds its way down the short draw. The place is peppered with test holes and ditches.

[attachment 18010 road.jpg]

This old road, with a few trees in its center, passes right by some old traces of foundations. Too frozen to do anything but locate targets here. An old shed is across the opening, visible just above the detectors.

[attachment 18009 quartz.jpg]

I picked this quartz and other samples up from around this stump along with a scrap of rusty can detected right there. Several other quartz outcrops are visible, some were test dug or prospected, but not all.

[attachment 18008 finds.jpg]

Here's the rewards for the day. It's the same pic, I just put a white line through it to separate the finds.

From Pound Gulch we have two pieces of iron whatzit, a bushing-thingy and an old bent nail. I forgot to include the bullet shard. At least the nail -is- quite old!

The lower half of the pic is what I dug in my yard earlier in the day. I found the cool car wash token, which read as a zinc or dime, close by an old woodstove that's sitting outside, and the two surface-dug bullet cases provide some scale for everything. The token says "RYK Car Wash", never heard of the place, and I've lived here for years.

There were plenty of other signals, but I couldn't dig most of them. In a few sunny spots, it was easy going, that's where these objects came from.

I'm getting more familiar with this sensitive machine. It probably won't be till I can dig everything and see what it is, that I'll learn the tones and ID. It definitely has more depth than the Time Ranger, but also seems to chatter a lot. I resisted the temptation to dial it down till it hunted quiet and kept disc at zero, wanting to hear everything and see how it works with sensitivity as high as I could manage to get it.

I protected the coil with a plastic shopping bag, but should have tried it without, just to see if that helped with the chatter. I didn't spend a lot of time troubleshooting, I just hunted with the noise.

I've also been noticing a little hand capacitance problem, waving my empty hand by the coil can make it sound off. Today, the coil was sensitive to bumps, but this may be partly due to the settings I was using. Since I was mainly searching for small nuggets, rather than dial it down till it didn't false on a bump, I was just careful not to jar it or strike the coil against rocks as I scanned. Mostly, I just ignored the beeps made as a result. I'll have to look further into this, is it a common effect with a DD coil?

Even with the paltry finds, it was a fun outing. My wife, Sandy, wanted to come along, but her back's been giving her grief, so she stayed at home this trip. Hopefully, next time she can tag along and maybe try the T2.

-Ed

Ed,

Sounds like you had a fun little walk. At least you got a chance to give the T2 a little test. My T2 was 'chattering' some when I had it out Saturday. I did turn the sensitivity down to 50 and it helped alot. I ended up bumping it back up a bit and put up with the chatter because I was afraid of losing too much depth. I was only digging the solid hits that came through the chatter. I did forget about being able to cylce through the frequencies. That might have helped me some. I run my Explorer on the ragged edge alot so I am used to the chirping and popping from it. I am sure we'll all discover what the best was to run the T2 is. I am going to have to experiment with bumping the sensitivity up/down once I have a target under the coil and see what it does to the signal. Some machine the signal will disappear and some machines it will make the target sound smoother. That's half the fun with a new machine is experimenting... :)

-Bill

Thanks Bill and Scott,

I should have tested further to eliminate the noise, to see what it took and how it hunted when quieted down.

From my air tests, adjusting sensitivity down did reduce detection depth.

Also, air tests of small nugs had them coming in with iron and generally low ID numbers, and any disc will make the small nugs drop out easier. So that's another reason I ran it with zero disc the way I did. I did set disc up higher briefly, and it seemed to run quieter, but I always kept it low, hoping to find a nugget.

I kept turning the T2 off to pinpoint with my other detector and dig the target, and I didn't always remember to put all the settings back the same each time. After awhile, I just left it on.

It was easy enough to tell the difference between small, shallow iron bits and other targets and true chatter. However, the ground chatter had an ID of about 32, the same as those iron whatzits I dug.

It was also chattering, with a jumping ID with the coil held up in the air. This is the same effect I noticed in my computer room, where RF noise from my monitor was driving the T2 crazy. So, I have to assume a lot of it is from the power lines.

Still, there were a million little signals in the ground, and it was hard to find a spot to properly ground balance. I think there must be some hot rocks in this area too. Pinpoint would often just start howling, even if lifted free of the ground, so it looks like I've got to study up on the GB and other stuff.

Just using default GB with disc mode at powerup behaved about the same. By trying to balance, I sometimes just made it worse. I think the ground here changes almost foot by foot.

As I was more interested in getting a few pics at different spots and only had a couple hours, I didn't waste much time fooling with the machine. I tried a lot of things, some seemed to help but it was always noisy. Looks like I have several things working against me in this location. It's going to depend on how well small nugs pick up, how far I can go to cope with the noise.

F5 to F7 were noisier here. F3 seemed quietest.

At home, I didn't have "air chatter" but everywhere a signal. My yard probably does actually have that much trash in it in the areas I was checking.

I'm just going to have to conduct more tests and learn some more. For comparison, my Time Ranger has no problems in this area.

-Ed

dialed in a little discrimination and the clatter stopped. There is a lot of small iron trash here. Some misguided individual had years ago treated most of his backyard with a fertilizer containing lots of iron.

Scott,

I think most of my chatter is due to smaller iron. I was out today just for a short test and switching the frequency quieted the T2 down a good bit. I'm sure it's going to be alot like my Explorer... it's just figuring out how had to can push the sensitivity to get the best results without driving yourself nuts from the iron blips.

-Bill

Try hunting in all metal, you may have allot of hot rocks mixed in. They will I.d in the 90'S high peeps and the single tone will reduce all the different sounds. Don't be afraid to reduce some sensitivity. Also if the ground balance changes you can re-adjust right away. First time out, tons of trash, frozen ground, tough way to start off learning a new machine. Good luck.:wiggle:

How do you know if the unit needs to ground balanced again?

I saw at least one "rock" ID so we know this site has some. My ground test numbers went from 65 to 87, so that is varied too.

Yeah, tough spot to hunt, but one I have visited many times, so I know what's here. The higher sensitivity of the T2 is showing me much more, though! And this was my hope, so we'll tame it down there as we learn.

I could tell the ground setting was off because it would sound primarily in one direction when pumping the coil or remain howling in pinpoint as I lifted the coil. The trick is to find the proper spot that's also clear of signals.

You want the sound to diminish when balancing or at least be more or less equal with the coil going up as coming down. Some set GB a little positive. For me, the fine points will come later.

-Ed