Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I wonder about the charging clip

pulltabMiner

Now that the craziness over V3 is over and now that the 11 inch coil is close to reality, I wonder if Allen has giving any thought about redesigning the charging clip. I've managed to damage mine after a year of use (misuse?). I can still charge but I have to adjust one of the brass pins everytime and it takes me a few tries before the clip connects with the coil.

Metal bearings that are spring loaded would be nice. The small brass pins are too delicate in my opinion. Then again, it may just be that I am a brute.

I've had problems with mine since day one! I have to wiggle it just right to get a connection!

With the exception of my latest debacle with the charging clip, I found that wiping the coil pads with my thumb (even though they look clean) helped a lot.

Ism said:
With the exception of my latest debacle with the charging clip, I found that wiping the coil pads with my thumb (even though they look clean) helped a lot.

It is also safe after you wipe them off to rub the contacts with a pencil eraser.

Its the wiggle that can cause the problem.

Push clip straight on and off.

Best to do so with the coil in the air and not on the ground.

I have owned 3 Deus machines over a 3.7year period and only broken 1 clip in the very early days through being heavy handed.:thumbup: Jerry.

Would cleaning/ rubbing the contacts, on the coil with a alcohol pad hurt anything?

[size=large]WIGGLE is B A D !![/size]

My experience: from using my machine on the beach sand got in the coil cover and the clip relies on the coil cover to index the charging pins.

If you insist on wiggling...do it very small and gently (and buy a backup clip)...and don't be impatient...sometimes it takes the detector a few seconds to initiate the charge

Joe (California)

DrJoeprime said:
[size=large]WIGGLE is B A D !![/size]

My experience: from using my machine on the beach sand got in the coil cover and the clip relies on the coil cover to index the charging pins.

If you insist on wiggling...do it very small and gently (and buy a backup clip)...and don't be impatient...sometimes it takes the detector a few seconds to initiate the charge

Joe (California)

Joe's comment about waiting is 100% correct - it may take 15 to 20 seconds to get the light indicating it is charging - wiggling the clip will almost ensure you will need that spare one :)

Another tip is to hold the coil when you put the clip on since the clip will actually stick below the bottom of the coil slightly and if you try to put it on with the coil on a flat surface, it will not make contact and then people often start the wiggling again.

Best way is to hold the coil in one hand, attach the clip (USB plug to the inside) and press it firmly in place with no wiggling. Then plug in the cord and wait to see the light come on . . . then walk away and come back in an hour to a full battery.

Andy

Diggin-it said:
Ism said:

It is also safe after you wipe them off to rub the contacts with a pencil eraser.

I would not do this, I'm pretty sure the pads are gold plated. Pencil eraser is abrasive and will remove the plating.
Before using this practice, I would contact XP Prime and get approval.

I had one break or broke it was not aware I was doing any thing wrong but one of the pins pushed in would not come back out. They replaced it so I have no complaints about it. Also payed for a extra to have on hand just in case. No trouble out of new one yet.

Jason