Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ID is very slow

ronhob

I am new to the E trac, and I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience. I go over a coin ,(say a quarter), and the quarter Id's correctly, but then if I go over a nickle shortly thereafter, the tone will change and the Id will still say it's a quarter.

Yes that can happen. You can wait a moment and then wiggle over the spot where you got the tone change and should get a correct id. You have to work the signal. Also,as far as fast/slow response goes, a lot depends on your settings (filters being used) and amount of disc you are using. ETrac can be set to be a bit faster. I am guessing you are using Conductive Multi tones. Also coil size will help for a faster response in target rich areas.
What kind of areas are you hunting???Parks,school yards.
I find myself using Ferrous with 4 tones. But I hunt old town lots loaded with any kind of metal you can think of, also old long gone plantation sites. Ive mostly used the Sunray 8 inch coil in these areas until recently, I purchase a 4.5x7 excellerator coil (eliptical with a closed design). This new coil has really opened some of these old spots making hunting in the trash much more manageble,not in the fast response area, as say a F75, but pretty darn good with not a lot of depth loss. Ive found coins at 8 inches in the short time Ive had it. I dont think its coming off my machine very much.
But, when I park hunt,or hunt a place where I dont wanna dig very many holes and have to be more selectable, I will change my tactics. Conductive Multi tones,more disc will be used.
Hope this helped and Im sure others will have their takes and experience,
John
ps,edit
Johnnyanglo has an excellent post on the audio with graphs,,,read that very educational

I was testing in doors, and figured out that you have to lift the coil up away from the target to get it to register correctly. I would guess it has something to do with not having actual ground to monitor.

I'm new to the ET also (50hrs) but one thing I have seen and found is the ET is proccessing LOTS of info and it needs time to do this.....go SLOW and give the machine time to do its thing. I also noticed that too many targets and underground pipes, electrical, emi, etc. will sometimes almost overload the machine where it takes forever to process a new target and sometimes you have to raise the coil off the ground and to the side before you re-sweep the target to get proper target info..... I've only had that happen once and once I left that area and started hunting a new area the problem quit and the machine reacted normally again. Not sure if I'm right or wrong but that experience leads me to believe that some areas just aren't really huntable with an ET(?). I look at the the ET as more of a "sharpshooter" that once understood has the capability to cherry pick somewhat. Less targets dug at the end of the day but targets of higher quality. That's the level I hope to attain someday soon with the ET. I wouldn't get too excited until you can use your ET outside in the real world, that'll tell you more..........jmo(s)

I have an old Tesoro GSII that really bangs out the coins fast but it won't go deep. That's the machine I use when I have little time and need to cover some ground fast.....

Checkout ALL the youtube vids using ET's and watch em over and over. Those vids have helped me a LOT and also these forums. Thanks to ALL who answer questions and make the vids....can't thank you guys enough!!!!

Ive started and restarted another response, each time I get to winded,lol.
You are headed in the right direction, experimenting indoors while weather is bad.
If you dont have it already, get Andy Sabischs book on the Explorer and ETrack, it really is worth the money. He has a lot of good info on settings and even a chapter on hunting in trash and his own experience hunting a nasty Fair Ground.
The response time, yes it is slow but not bad slow as the Explorers, But even the die hard Explorer users make remarkable finds. They have learned to deal with it and you will to. There are ways to make the ETrac a much faster responder.
Andy really talks about all these things.
Ive started numerous times to sell this machine, but it keeps growing on me and I keep learning new things about it, what it can and cant do and how well it can be set to best adapt to a certain scenario/hunt. It is most definetly not the best/fastest responder but I feel its better than what some have failed to learn. It has its place in my small arsenal and many times in some spots I want something with a faster response and higher frequency.
Lotsa luck and hope you get out with it soon,
John

Experimenting indoors is better than nothing. But don't completely judge a detector by indoor testing especially depth capabilities.

Be careful of the area you choose to do the indoor testing.
Subfloor nails, wall nails, basement beams, especially EMI from electronic devices/ WiFi/ appliances/ cordless phones/ house wiring/ and other metallic objects can all play havoc with a sensitive detector if near enough.