Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'd like an opinion on the best "Greek Series" coin shooter in bad soil / iron

Darkflight

Hope I'm posting in the right place.

I recently got a NEL tornado for my F5. The machine was one I sold my brother & I've got another "go to" unit so I may sell it.

But this coil also fits a lot of other detectors in the Greek series & IIRC the F series.

If I were to purchase a unit that was compatible for coin shooting what would be the current recommendation?. In my case bad soil is the norm & heavy iron of course. And a silver bias I have the other end covered with my AT Pro / tornado combination-my main unit.

AT putters out on silver around 6" in real world. Hoping for better with fast response. Don't give a darn about ID as long as I can get a good clue if its non ferrous. Thanks!

I wouldn't recommend any of the Greek series machines for heavy mineral ground. None will do much better than the F5. The G2/F19/Gold bug can handle bad ground a little better than most of the other FTP machines and use the same Nel coil you have. Deep coins are not its forte but it still can find them. Maybe the upcoming Teknetics Omega 8500 will handle bad ground better.

Sounds like a honest reply from one who knows-thank you!

Kind of OT for this forum but...

I've been "forcing" the F5 on myself since my brother gave it back & I think it is going to stay now.

It does hit high conductors deeper than a AT pro same coil on both-NEL Tornado. Got a silver ring I know I walked over-and a lot of others I may add-center lane ballfield high traffic area.

When you say (handle bad ground)are you referring to depth,chatter,or all around?I live in Pennsylvania coal country and the ground here is highly minerals, and even the eurotek pro still gets 7 to 8 inches depth,that's max but still that's deeper than most units.

I am in N. Oregon-along the Cascadia fault line / volcanoes galore. Heavily mineralized soil will hold a lot of machines back. In my case a lot of the parks have so much iron debris in the soil that with iron audio on it is almost constant noise.

AT pro 6" on a dime is about max in those conditions. The F5 does a bit better but I prefer the audio/response of the AT. I am learning there really is something to the frequency in these cases & a low hertz machine does better on silver, a higher does better on gold.

My problem is I have tried Minelab briefly & could not fathom going that slow with R2D2 squeaking at me. May have to try harder. I used a CZ & had to sell it. probably the deepest machine in our soil but the iron false issue & my motor blew up-easy sell so it went.

So I was hoping for something in the Greek series that I could use the NEL Tornado with.

Here is an example on my soil-I carry a magnet to retrieve nails-it always is covered with iron flakes when I sift it through the dirt. The beaches can be worse-one the magnet lookse like a fuzzy face willie toy with a huge lump of iron "dust". That is after a few seconds of sifting-so...Really bad stuff in general. on that beach I have to use below 1/2 power on the AT but if you learn the clues it gets surprisingly deep-that was a clue to turn it down more often & that HAS helped.

Cheers!

Omega & or G2, they both have faster processing than the F5, and your best bet is to trade the NEL for a 11" Bi Axial coil from First Texas. These dtectors were built around that coil and any after market coil made just cant compete ! And if its silver you wish in hot ground get the Omega with the 5" or 5x10" coils from First Texas.
Read around the Omega is fast, balances everywhere and loves silver