Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ID normalization do you ever turn it off?

I haven't messed with it.

I do, mostly at the lower frequencies.

Having the ID numbers spread out over a wider range is handy, especially if you're hunting coins and want to differentiate between those and certain kinds of trash. At one of my sites, for instance, there's a certain type of scrap metal spread around that rings up high and sounds like a quarter if you either hunt at a high frequency or have ID normalization on.

I find that turning off ID normalization and backing down to 8 or 4 khz allows me to better tell the difference.

Similar to abcoin, Mine is almost always OFF. When hunting cellar hole sites in lower frequencies with Norm = OFF, those high conductors will hit lower on the VDI scale. I can assign a low tone to 96-99 to help with the annoying iron wrap squeals and not worry about missing a big silver.

Mine is off all the time. I like the spread of numbers on the high end, especially aluminum and zinc, with low frequency when coin hunting. When the highest number for a silver dollar is usually much lower than 99, it helps make wraparound more easy to diagnose for me. At higher frequencies, a zinc penny and copper penny or dime are very close together and it doesn't take very much influence of an iron object to make them the same. It also makes the numbers similar to a couple of other detectors I have. But most of the time I am using all tones and it really makes no difference because numbers can be wrong. Leaving it off just keeps me from having to go there to change back and forth or forgetting what changes I have made. If you hunt totally by sound, I don't think there is an advantage either way. I did try notching high numbers in 4kHz but for me it just made wrap around more confusing as the pull back method of listening for iron tone off the edge of a target was harder to hear consistently. It is a pain to change the breakpoints but after they are set, what difference does it make? The only recommendation I would make is to experiment and do what you think is right. I am sure there are experts on both sides of this and I don't claim to be one.

All this reminds me of a trick I've read about but haven't tried yet:

If you turn ID norm off and create two programs at different frequencies -- say, one at 4 khz and one at 17 khz -- you can hunt in the higher frequency but use the lower one to check questionable targets, especially high numbers that could be wrap-around iron.

Has anyone tried this? Is it effective at separating keepers from iron?

abcoin has it.
yes I hunt with the ID Norm off. The reason is so that you can use the different IDs as an iron checker. As described above. Two identical programs right next to each other with the only difference being a frequency change.
swing a target get an TID number at say 18 kHz Swap programs to the iron checker at say 4 kHz. Sweep the target. If the number goes up or all over the place then pass it by. If the number stays the same or goes down Then get on down and dig it. Try it. Prove it to yourself. Get out there

If I am strictly coin hunting run norm off with two programs at different frequencies. Invaluable for eliminating rusty steel caps or working around steel fences. If hunting relics or jewelry not as important because I am generally digging most signals.