Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

ID question about new M6

Gopher

Just got my new M6 from Backwoods Detector Sales. I buried a quarter in the dirt about 6" or 7" down. It's laying flat. There's no other metals around it. The VDI, when I sweep across it shows everything from hotrock to iron to pulltab to penny/dime on up. When I use tone ID sometimes it sounds good and sometimes its broken or chattery when I go over it. From what it's telling me I wouldn't dig this target. Granted, i'm new at this. Why would I get such a variation on what I know is a quarter.
Help please, Gopher

Gopher, I think that the problems lies in the fact that the coin is freshly buried...I have buried coins and had high-dollar machines that couldn't "see" them at 6 inches.... Also, try turning your sensitivity up and making you swing shorter and slower... Thanks RichardnTn

I have an MXT but it has the same circuitry as your M6 so maybe this will help.First of all,any target ID detector will correctly identify at depths much less than it will give an audio response.With detectors that have tone ID,the visual ID is sometimes less deep than audio TID.This seems to be the case with your machine.Soil conditions affect not only depth of detection but also how deep you can get correct TID.In high mineralization both will go down proportionatly.

dig your coin back up and instead of placing it in the bottom of the hole slide it in the side of the hole in the undisturbed soil. then add some water and tightly pack the soil back in