Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

identifiing targets by tone sound.

Nock

Greetings
I have using my etrac now for 3 years and have found my share of decent
targets. I have read that some can identify good targets by the sound of the tone I myself have not really mastered how. I can tell when I pass over a good coin by the sharpness of the tone but not by a different type of sound of the tone. Any comments on this subject would great.

I can say that I cannot tell the difference by sound between a silver dime and a clad dime as they both sound just the same to me. However, I still dig as both are good targets, and one can only hope for the silver ! My rule of thumb is I dig all high sounding tones after double checking TID numbers and Quick mask.

There are a lot of variables that determine how you hear the tones , both in the set-up of your machine as well as the target and ground conditions. Consistently using the same settings and quality headphones allows you to fine tune the ears and makes it relatively easy to discern various targets. I can't separate silver from clad dimes/quarters but I can certainly choose between clad/copper/zinc/nickel/can slaw with ease----the correct distinction percentage drops as you begin to throw in combinations but often the tones don't match the VDI which is a dead giveaway to dig. Of course , you don't know what you don't dig and there are targets that will fool you regardless--nothings going to be 100% but the one thing you can control is the CONSISTENCY of your settings.

Tones in MC are tied to the conductive number and a 12-12 sounds very much like a 23-12--I've dug nickels at both but it sounds much different than say a 08-18 , although I have dug nickels there also because it still has a certain "nickel" sound to it , yet I seldom dig a 12-18 as they are always square tabs , most of the time--is that clear? I use nickel as an example because that's where the gold hides.

When using multi conductive, its sound as a 'heads up' then ID confirmation for me. IDs and gut feelings compenstate for my shot hearing.
If i were to detect by sound ONLY using multi conductive tones, i would dig up every corroded iron nail/bolt in sight.