Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

IDX Pro any value now adays?

airscapes

See a nice looking IDX pro on local carigs list, any value to this? Did a quick search of the form and don't see anything posted for any time frame.

vito said:
In the bay they went between 150 to 200 bucks.

Add $75 for a Mr. Bill Mod....

Thanks!

Don't let prices fool you,it's about what the machine is capable of. When I'm running a machine that reliably sees 8-9" dimes I not worried about what I paid for it,it's a damn good machine. The IDXPro came into the market about the time that multi tone units started showing up "en masse" and therefore,I don't think,got its proper due. While I'm not a detector historian,nor have I been at it anywhere NEAR a lot of guys,the IDXPro was my first machine. As a matter of fact I'm going hunting tomorrow. What I'm taking is my Minelab Explorer2,Minelab CTX3030 and my modified IDXPro. Why would I take that old dinosaur Whites? Because it FINDS STUFF. The ID is very accurate,it hits very well on the few gold rings I've found with it and it hits small stuff very well,even with the 950 coil. This place I'm going has had a 5$ gold piece come out of it,and in my heart of hearts I believe the IDXPro gives me my best shot at finding perhaps a 1$ gold coin if it's under the coil.
The machine is a dream to use,and while I've done well with my others,there's a reason I will always keep the Whites. It finds stuff. Period.

IDX Pro is one of my favorite machines hands down....I love all the coils that you can use on it....Even thought there is really no DD coil for it it really doesn't bother me...I did see a DD coil for like $200 in Europe.

I also have a IDX Pro,not sure why but i am using it more than my DFX these days,just something special about it,basically i switch it on and set a few basic settings then off out detecting and when i get back i switch it off again,but it has not only provided me with pleasure using the detector but also filled my finds bags with some really lovely finds.

It dont get much better detecting than using a classic IDX Pro and mine does not even have the popular Mr Bill modification its just box standard.

JJdigs said:
IDX Pro is one of my favorite machines hands down.

The IDX Pro is one of my favorites as well. I have one that is in mint and unmodified condition.

Those prices already mentioned are about right. What caps it, is that for $300-400, you can get a good used MXT, which is a better machine. The IDX is a great little sleeper that turned out way better than its lower-end price point would have indicated. It's got great recovery speed, can be swept very slow and not lose depth, and is great in the iron, especially with the 5.3 Eclipse coil. But even with the Mr. Bill mods, it's not as deep as the MXT and is lacking some other really useful features like the two-tone relic mode and mixed mode audio. I had one and really liked it, but it got replaced by an MXT which is as good or better in the trash, which is the IDX's forte. Still a great machine and well worth the $200 you'd spend for a nice one.

Wayfarer said:
Those prices already mentioned are about right. What caps it, is that for $300-400, you can get a good used MXT, which is a better machine. The IDX is a great little sleeper that turned out way better than its lower-end price point would have indicated. It's got great recovery speed, can be swept very slow and not lose depth, and is great in the iron, especially with the 5.3 Eclipse coil. But even with the Mr. Bill mods, it's not as deep as the MXT and is lacking some other really useful features like the two-tone relic mode and mixed mode audio. I had one and really liked it, but it got replaced by an MXT which is as good or better in the trash, which is the IDX's forte. Still a great machine and well worth the $200 you'd spend for a nice one.

I won't sell my IDX Pro Mr. Bill modified anytime soon, I found the Holy Grail coil for it, the Discovery Electronics "Ferret Hothead" hockey puck sized coil with a peep hole in it. This little 5½" diameter concentric coil defies scientific logic, it will airtest a dime at 8 inches and go that deep or deeper in my mild ground. It is deep as my MX5 with the 5.3 Eclipse coil which is an inch bigger in diam...

Edit to Add::: The Ferrett Hothead separates and recovers as well in small iron contamination as the BlueMax 350 coil that is 4½" diameter. It is as deep as the Royal 800 coil, a true "hold onto" combo......

Here's another trick coil for the IDX - the Goldfoot. It's sort of half a Bigfoot. Not terribly deep (a hair less than the 5.3) but it's a razor for target separation. Sadly - rare as rockinghorse poop.

Too bad I never had a chance to try any of those killer coils on my IDX. With the 5.3 it was pretty darned good, so if the Ferrett and the Goldfoot are even better, then they would be awesome. I had a 6.59 kHz 3.5" Snooper that I used on my XL Pro (in TR Disc) but never thought to try it on my IDX, the 5.3 being so good. In hindsight, I bet the IDX with that 3.5" Snooper would have been like a laser beam.

No doubt the IDX will go down as one of White's all-time best designs. They are the best detector out there for $200-250.

How did the Snooper work on the XL Pro?
I have one on my IDX for getting up next to fence lines.
I never thought about running it on the XL Pro.

The snooper was great on the XL Pro. I mostly used it in TR Disc mode to crawl along between the trash. It was my ultra-high trash setup until I got an MXT and 5.3 coil, which has a slow enough sweep speed that I can now work the high trash in the easier to use Disc mode. On the XL Pro in GEB Disc, even with the snooper, you still needed to keep your sweep speed up somewhat, and that negated some of the advantage of the small coil. In TR Disc you could slow right down since it was a non-motion mode. I never really used it much in GEB SAT, although now in hindsight, that may have been a good mode to try with the Snooper XL Pro combo.

The real beauty of the IDX is the slow sweep speed requirement in Disc, which enables you to move along slowly but still get good Disc audio hits, similar to the MXT. So the IDX should be killer with the little Snooper. You could crawl along at a snails pace in the heaviest of trash and pick out the good stuff while running in audio Disc. The IDX + the 5.3 is excellent, so the IDX + the Snooper should be fantastic.

One thing about non-Whites coils on the IDX - the ground balance may be way off and need adjusting - either via a knob as on modded detectors or adjusting the GB trimmer on the circuit board via the hole hudden under the USA sticker.

Taking my IDX Pro out on sunday on a saxon site,never been on this site before but will use the 950 coil and detect at a slow methodical pace,this detector although a old design compared with all the latest machines coming onto the market,but it still finds the goodies for sure,not allowed onto the field beside this one as it was a very early iron age and saxon settlement which is protected.But some very early Saxon 'sceats' have been found which are always nice silver hammered coins too find.

What better than just going back to basic's with a simple switch on a go detector that fills your finds bag with some nice items and not having to worry about have i got the right settings.

Mega said:
What better than just going back to basic's with a simple switch on a go detector that fills your finds bag with some nice items and not having to worry about have i got the right settings.

The IDX Pro is a simple machine, basicly a 'turn on and go' if used with the same coil and after it is ground balanced. I set mine up whilst in all metal with a very slight positive rise in threshold when pumping coil down to a clean patch of ground.

@ Hombre,sometimes its very nice and use some of these 'classic' switch on and go machines that still can keep up with alot of the modern day detectors,will be using the 950 coil and the RNB battery pack out of my DFX when using this battery pack it just keeps going for ever with just the one charge,just fire the detector up and basically away you go it does not get much better than that,and the depth with the 950 coil is pretty reasonable as well.And a constant flow of nice finds between when you switched it on until you switch it off again,

If i am honest in the last 12 months i have use the IDX Pro far more than my DFX.

If I think back to my progression in metal detecting,I believe the most valuable thing about the IDXPro,since it was my first machine,is that it is simple enough for the beginner to use and understand,while still being capable of finding coins at good depth. It still took me 3 years to get really good with it,but it wasn't so difficult to learn that I hung it up and went on to some other hobby. If I had started with an Explorer or VX or some other more complicated machine the results may have been very different. I owe ALOT of enjoyment and comraderie to the IDXPro,and it continues even to now. A simple,capable machine with plenty of intelligent help from forum members has made for a great hobby,one I wouldn't trade for anything.