Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

if you could have any coil for the Vaquero which one?

Tajue17

I love my vaq but I have some extra loot,,,, I'm wondering about a second coil not even sure for what but why not right..... if it helps I'm a suburban digger that does about 50% in the woods maybe an occasional trip to the dry sands. what would be a excellent partner to the stock coil?

I'm a big fan of the 5.75" coil (which actually measures 6" across). It gets surprisingly good depth, and is great in trashy areas where targets are close together. It's also good in woods/brush, since it's small enough to go where bigger coils can't. It's not a great beach coil, though, since it covers such a small area. But the stock coil is pretty good in that situation.

I prefer the concentric version, though it's also available as a widescan.

If I were forced to choose just one size of coil to use with my detectors, it would be the 5.75".

-Ken

Hmm 5.75 Concentric,,, because that would be my next question Concentric or DD has anyone really tried both?

Agree with all above. 5.75 for sure. I say concentric. But my ground is on the mild side here in the mitten. I've never hunted really bad ground let alone seen if the DD helps with bad ground.
I have heard Monte say that he still prefers the concentric even over in Oregon/Nevada area.
But I'll wait to see what others have to say. Hopefully someone with more challenging ground chimes in and can help answer your question.
Also, knowing how your ground is may help, but I've heard of people in Arizona ground running the mijave with the new precision 7" on high setting and running very well. So that may be the mojave, the coil, or the fact that concentrica are better lol. But I always prefer concentrics. The disc is so much better with concentrics in my experience.
Curious to hear other opinions. :)

Most sites I visit are brushy, weedy, sagebrush, etc. The majority of them are ferrous debris infested ghost towns and other old sites that have scattered trash and building rubble.

I have some makes and models that, by design, work well with a Double-D coil, but I've tried just about every coil Tesoro has offered on most models the past 35 years, including the Vaquero. On the larger-size coils, such as the new 8X11 RSD DD coil, the Double-D does 'OK' as a rule, but that's not the case for the standard and smaller-size coils. I use the thin-profile 6" Concentric on every Tesoro in my arsenal, and that includes the Vaquero. I sold my 8X11 DD because ALL I use on the Vaquero is the 6" Concentric. The same goes for my Silver Sabre [size=small]micro[/size]MAX, the 6" Con. is my only coil.

Monte

okay 6" con,,, you say "thin Profiled" is that an option or just a description that one coil because I'm going to go and check prices.

Tesoro used to make a thicker body 8-inch coil and then they went to the thinner 8 inch coil with the hole in the center, and people refer to that as a donut coil. Simply a description.

Tesoro made the thin Super 7 inch coil for the Troy Shadow X2 and they currently have a thinner style 7 inch they brought out with the Mojave, but they're original 7 inch that has been around is a thick body design.

They only have one thickness for the 6-inch coil which they call 5.75 but it actually measures 6 inches, and when I say thin profile it's simply to point out the physical style of the coil. It's not a thick body design like a lot of the competitors have for 3 and 1/2, 4 and 1/2, 5-inch and other smaller size search coils. Instead, this is an attractive and lightweight thin profile coil.

Monte

I use the 5.75 and 11x8 coils on my Vaq. It’s like having 2 different machines. They both have their purposes.

Dry sand on the beach. Open areas such as parks, soccer fields. My vaq came with the 9x8 coil. I used it on a seeded hunt on a beach and I had a hard time with ground balance. The following year I used the 11x8 and it was a great improvement. I never used the 5.75 on a seeded hunt. Both coils get about the same depth for me. I don't really measure l. I never use the 9x8 stock coil anymore even after finding a nice gold ring in a park with it.

I have a 11x8 stock coil that came with my UK version of the Vaquero,but if i am honest i have only used it a couple of times at best,the coil that stays on the machines almost exclusively is the NEL Snake coil 6.5''x3.5'' and does work well on alot of my trashy roman sites,and it does work very well,target separation is very good and the depth is not all that bad either,have used it a few times for getting in between the stubble rows after harvest time,and in a sense it earns its keep just doing that one job,till the rains come and make the stubble more flexible.

So although i dont use the machine as a every day detector,it does the job well with the smaller coil,also the fact that the UK spec Vaquero is running at 18.5khz which is good for finding small hammered silver coins etc,also has a few other serious modifications as well include both fixed and manual GB.