Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

If you have 6 nails evenly spaced what detector can see past them . . .

A

Anonymous

If you have 6 nails evenly spaced what detector can see past them to see a dime about 3 inches below them?
Let's say the iron nails are 1/2 inch apart and are about 4 inches or more long and the dime is directly below the nails.
What detector will hear the dime and you would know it's a dime?

An old compass 77 will,but it is a TR (non ground balancing) will ignore iron and see thru it,but doesn't go very deep because it's a TR.

As Bill said, the old compass 77b will do it as will most 100 khz TR's but having tested many detectors with a coin 2 to 3 inches down under one nail I don't think there's a vlf that can do it. The only detector I've used, and still use for trashy sites, that can consistently hit a coin 3 inches down under one nail with disc set to just reject nails is the old, 1990 model,15 khz Gold Mountain GMT 1650 and it will only do it swinging across the nail. And forget about telling it's a coin of any denomination, the best you can get is an average of the two conductance ranges. Let me add that we have virtually 0 mineralization, throw some bad ground into the mix and results go from bad to worse. As for the depth of the Compass TR's, they have pretty good depth in low mineralization. In our ground they can do 5-6 inches and maybe a tad deeper on larger coins. They are great for hunting where the ground is full of nails, I keep one around and use it fairly often. True, they have no discrimination but after using one for awhile it's easy to tell larger trash and coins, buttons and similar size nonferrous targets give a fast on/off "round" sound so not as much junk is dug as would be expected. The link below is a post I made last year and has a comparison of 3 detectors. About halfway down is the test using a dime and nail, the results were better than any of the other many vlf detectors I've done the same test on.
JB

I noticed you posted the same question on a Tesoro forum and you'll probably get some responses saying Tesoros can do it. They can't, and that includes their latest models. Tesoros have been praised as having great target separation and for working well in ferrous trash. That's true, at least for some models, but none of the 7 or 8 I've checked could see a dime 3 inches under one nail, let alone under six. The best Tesoro for separating ferrous/nonferrous targets is the Compadre and it couldn't match the 1650.
JB

I don't know of a detector that can do it, at least with a standard coil.
Unfortunately, there are some folks who claim the Tejon can do it and some folks will go out and buy one based on those statements and then be disappointed.
John

that post of yours about the three detectors you tested and thought it was very well done!
They do have detectors at the border crossings to Canada that can see through metal. I think they are gamma ray detectors or scanners. I don't know what they do to our health in the long term.
I bet in the not too distant future we will have metal detectors that will detect coins through sheets of different metals. But by then they will probably outlaw metal detecting everywhere.