Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

If You're REALLY looking for gold in the dirt . .

srf2112

. . .be prepared for these. The vets are all too aware but for any starry-eyed newbies with visions of pockets full of gold jewelry, THIS is the reality. These represent about one year of pretty intensive hunting and mind you, this is ONLY the pulltab trash I've dug. I save them for charity (and yes I segregate them for some unknown reason). Those are 1/4 gal. containers folks and they've been settled and packed down. I was also thinking of making a mold, melting them down and pouring a "record" of the pulltabs I've dug for that year. Bigger casting, more pulltabs dug. I'll probably never do it but I think it would be fun to do if I had the time. I did a rough weigh and the pulltabs, less the containers, weigh out at 1.6 lbs. It makes my back hurt to even THINK of doing the math. I know there's continual advice about having to dig the trash to get the gold but we're visual creatures and I think this is a good way to get the point across. Hope you enjoy and have a great day.

You got one in the wrong container...
I know how you feel... about the back.
I feel like I've dug that many on one dig..
That's very impressive. I started to do that to see how many I dug.
But alas, I lost track... Maybe I'll try again...
What the heck I bring all that stuff home anyway...

Find the GOLD...

HH

Not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but could you show us the picture of the gold you found when you were digging all those tabs? How much did the gold weigh? Thanks and good luck. James

Good cause for those pull tabs gold will be the reward !

jamesinwesttexas said:
Not trying to be funny or sarcastic, but could you show us the picture of the gold you found when you were digging all those tabs? How much did the gold weigh? Thanks and good luck. James
Would you believe after all those pulltabs only one gold ring James? I pulled several other gold items out including a nugget but only the one ring. Maybe I'll try and take a picture of all the gold but that might be even more of a reality check when I compare it to the ones above. Oh well I have a blast no matter what comes out of the ground.

Scott, thanks, that's a very informative post. But it makes me wonder sometimes just what good is discrimination on a detector if we have to dig every nonferrous [and often ferrous] signal to get a good target. I suppose choice of site, attention to certain VDI numbers, use of notch, and maybe the sounds can increase the odds, but certainly in most cases claims of accurate ID of a target, [especially gold objects] even on very expensive detectors is a lot of hype. Like you say though, if you're having a blast doing it it's worth it. I sure get a kick out of it. James

Good job Scott. :clapping:

Maybe the experts, in other words, the ones who actually find a lot of valuable [including gold] targets can give us some pointers, like when to dig and when not to dig and where to dig. The dig all approach is fine for some people at some places, but there must be some good useful reasons to have all those different controls on the MXT. Surely, we can improve the good target/pulltab ratio and don't need to settle for digging ALL the trash. James

jamesinwesttexas said:
Maybe the experts, in other words, the ones who actually find a lot of valuable [including gold] targets can give us some pointers, like when to dig and when not to dig and where to dig. The dig all approach is fine for some people at some places, but there must be some good useful reasons to have all those different controls on the MXT. Surely, we can improve the good target/pulltab ratio and don't need to settle for digging ALL the trash. James
Well James I'm pretty sure if there were any hunters out there with the advice you're looking for they could put their detectors down and stop looking for the gold, they'd be rich overnight. Unfortunately I'm of the opinion that this is one of those things that you can only be led so far and then it's up to you to find your own way. IMHO It's all in the sound so I think the most important "control" on the MXT doesn't even come with it . . .top-quality headphones.

I suppose you are right Scott but I don't think my hearing is all that good. Probably choice of site is the most important variable and then a willingness to dig most nonferrous targets. I've seen a few studies of most likely VDI numbers and the MXT does have a notch feature for a good reason I suppose. The MXT is one of the best but I guess it all boils down to the operator's intuition, hard work and not just a little bit of luck. Best of luck to everyone. James

Luck does always play a role as you said James. I got a friend into detecting and she has less hours in than I put in in a good week. I took her to a new spot awhile back hoping to put her on her first silver coin . . .you know like a 59' rosie or something realistic like that. She ended up finding a 14k mans white gold band bigger than I'VE ever dug or even seen. Go figure . . .

Good job clearing out the park of those pesky beaver tails and pull tabs! :clapping: Getting the gold has been hard for me in my year and a half using the MXT E-series. Early on I found a gold 1/10 oz gold Panda in a gold bezel and close to Christmas last year I managed a 24K 6 gram necklace just under and entwined in the turf. Took me a while to de-tangle it. I basically have stopped digging the pull tabs but not expecting to find gold anymore unless I just get darn lucky. I traded up to a MXT PRO, so far with the same results.....although I love the ID tones......not sure about the performance improvements if any.