Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Im done with Bounty Hunter!!!

MetalmanMatt

I started with the Tracker IV it seemed to work ok but it suffered some electronic failure. I returned it.
I then Bought the Quick Silver. Its suposed to be better. Right? No, It coudnt find anything in any operating mode.I returned it also.
I then bought the Lone Star. Good machine. I thought. It cleaned my test garden right up.And I found a big silver ring in the test garden. That the other 2 MDs missed. Today a friend stoped by and wanted to scan the test garden with the Ace 150. We dug 8 items from the garden that I didnt plant. How do you explain that? I then searched more of the yard and you guessed it. I have a lot of digging to do. I now own a Garret Ace 150. I almot got the 250 but I dont like the pinpoint on it.

Too bad you didnt start with a higher end BH. I have a Time Ranger I got it for $395.50. Still much a Nubie.I hear that the higher end ones are good machines.

Im not saying that any are goo or bad. I am saying that for my application the BHs I had didnt suit my needs. I really like them until I tried the ACE. Kina like I was a Ford man til I bought a Dodge.

did you test the detectors with diffrant objects? i have a quick draw II an i have good luck with it, al so i tryed head phones on it an got signal that did not show up with out the head phones,

The built in speakers suck up a lot of the juice that could be going to the coil...This is why you hear things and the batteries last longer when you use the headphones....
Sorry you did not enjoy the BH machines....Sounds like you hit a couple of lemons....I liked my Land Star until I tried a White's....I would still use a BH higher on the chain than the Land Star, but for now, the White's is raking in things the Land Star misses....I really want an M6....

HH,

GoGoGopher

My whites will find coins and separate them when they are about 2 inches apart....give a separate ping for each coin...I went tonight, and found 3 holes that had 3 coins apiece in them...one had 2 quarters and a penny, the other two were quarter dime nickel....I was on an unhunted lawn I think, behind a BOCCES school for adults....the ground was nice and soft dirt, but the grass was a little undermowed and heavy....I like it that way, as the plug stays together better with the bigger grass roots....For 2 hours, I found $2.37...still have to clean them, then I will post them...I also found what might be a silver or silver plated doodad that looks like it was part of a wind chime??? I will also post that...found 2 keys, one whole, the other broken...found the back half of a mini mag-lite...It overloaded the detector, and nearly blew my ears out....I thought I hit the motherload...lol...the batteries were still in it, but all corroded....

HH,

BH-LandStar

You will love the M6. . All so use the ace 250 pinpointing is a pain in the a??? till you get used to it.The wife used a 505 Bounty hunter for ever I found in a pawn shop for 50.00$.She found Lot of good stuff we still use it from time to time.I finally got her to try ace 250 now she uses it all the time.the verdict is still out for her as to the pinpointing but I will say this when you learn how to do it you will love that little yeller feller we have found Lot of gold jewelry some good stuff some bad stuff but its all good when you find it .You will wish you had upgraded to the ace 250 it tells you so much more when you are hunting. Bounty Hunter has some good Machines out but they are like all the rest they have there ups and downs.You just got a bad batch once that happens it is hard to get reed of that taste in your mouth.the 505 Bounty Hunter we have we used it for a lone time wife and I both swore by it still a great detector just don't have all the bells and whistles on it . Happy hunting and keep digging it will come the ground is full. Roadking

For $400 you could buy a fisher 1236X, Minelab Xterra 30, Tesoro Cibola, Detector Pro Pirate or White's Classic 5ID. All of those would be brand new prices, shipped to your door. Used you could do even better. All of these machines will out perform the Time Ranger. The "higher end" Bounty Hunter machines are overpriced for the performance they deliver.

I would be interesting in knowing what was missed by the BH's. I know I switched to a MXT after about six months using the Tracker IV, but by that time the IV had already paid for itself three times over. Now I go out with the MXT, and my Grandson uses the IV.

Thanks/Cliff

Well one thing that was missed was a ring in my own yard. Also lots of clad. I cleaned out a coin garden with it. Then the Garrett came along and found 4 coins, aluminum can hit by the mower, 2 tent stakes, and some nuts and bolts. I cant talk bad about the Trackers ability. It worked great until it quit. The Quick Silver was a joke. If a coin was over 3 inches you didnt know it was there. The lone Star was great on features but also seemed to lack in depth. On the other side of the coin, with the garret I do alot more digging. For example I didnt really care to own a .22 calibre bullet that was shot into the loose sand at almost 7 inches. I dig every signal that will repeat. I beleive that the Ace has tought me alot about digging be cause I do alot more of it.

The problem I had with my BH Tracker IV, was me. After digging so much trash, I started to just dig the high tones. Found plenty of clad dimes, quarters, pull tabs, and the occasional ring. Was happy for a while, but after reading every ones input about digging everything, and their respective finds, I knew that I was missing a great number of opportunities. Just had to be something better out there that would allow me to make a better educated guess as to dig or not dig. The MXT was my choice, and the IV allowed me to get there as it paid almost 50% of the cost.

The MXT hasn't let me down, Found my first 14k ring in just under a week of use, and a couple of other gold items. The silver rings still show up, and my number of nickels has increased 10 fold. Still use the IV at tot lots as I dig everything, not much use for the MXT there.

Thanks/Cliff

I think every detector has its high points and its lows...the Land Star I have just will not behave on the iron and salt rich soil here in Syracuse, NY...yes...Salt...Inland...this whole area was sea before and a little after the ice age....the land Star does great on freshwater sand, and in tot lots. but for field use, the Whites is just more stable for me, and since I can manually ground balance it in ALL modes, it is the hands down winner for field work...

HH,

GoGoGopher

All I can say is that my low brow $35.00 [garage sale] Discovery 2200 use to smoke Whites and Fisher units all the time. Now I do the same with my Outback [100% waterproof] in the drink and my Time Ranger flat out hunts them on land. Some might say its your bond with the machine that determines what you will find. As far as buying broken gear goes...it happens with them all, but not to me since I started with BH. Detecting is an art form. The skilled artist will win the gold and the rest will be left nursing their wombs on the way to buy something newer, better, or different. Good luck on your quest Sir.
Doug in OR

I agree with you dougmoore34 any machine is good if you learn it ,,its what you put in too the hobby is what you get out of it
as long as the machine works ( learn what its telling you ) and remember its like Playing the lotto ,,only more fun
A friend of mine has a high dollar white detector not sure which one (model) , some times he dose better than me, and some times i do better than him
i use the quick draw II and i love it, some time it lies to me Most of the time It's 100% I think its smarter than me lol
a lot depends on the ground You not going to get rich,, its the fun of the hunt
I do rank B H up there with the rest of them,, But I'm A Bounyt Hunter owner:rofl:

Well, my Land Star is on the block for $175.00 +S/H...it definitely needs to go back to First Texas to be re-tuned again (I am not going to pay to have it done twice. Cost me $17.00 to ship it)....
It will come with both the 8" and 4" coil. I will hold onto the carry bag and finds pouch for the time being, until I replace them...Might offer them up to the buyer at a later time if they want them...
There is nothing physically or Electrically wrong with the machine...it is just out of tune...needs a few pots tweaked inside....I do not know which pot is which, or I would do it myself...
At the moment, it chatters constantly. For about $190, you could have this puppy working again, and have both coils...
Anyone interested, PM me...

HH,

GoGoGopher