Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'm in the race!

FollowTheBeep

I finally upgraded all of my equipment! Moving up to a Racer from an ACE 250 is quite a difference. I took it out for 3 hours today to start familiarizing myself to the sounds and I must say that I like it. I pulled out a handful of clad and a large silver ring!

Congrats followthebeep! Keep learning the machine it is amazingly easy. And accurate, fast, and light.

WTG FTB! Yes, it is easy to learn with just a few times out. Thing is..it finds the goods in trash that my other units struggle with. GL and HH

I'm mainly using 3 tone in the public park. In went out today for an hour and played with the other modes as well. I found that once I find a target, I can get a bettr idea of size and quality if I put it into 2 tone. Found a war nickel today. It's only my third silver coin in over 4 years so right now I'm pretty pumped having two silver finds in as many days. I haven't even tried the small coil yet.

Each mode sounds different so it is like learning multiple machines and hunting styles. It's a big step from the ACE. Loving it!

I really like the 3 tone too. But I don't think I gave 2 tone enough of chance. I am sure it has some advantages that I need to further explore. Glad you are liking the Racer.

FollowTheBeep said:
I'm mainly using 3 tone in the public park.
In most park, school, playground, curb and other urban Coin Hunting tasks, I also pick the 3-Tone ID most often, but in some places [size=small](such as large open grassy areas or large sports fields)[/size] where the targets are spare, the 2-Tone audio mode often gets the nod.

FollowTheBeep said:
In went out today for an hour and played with the other modes as well. I found that once I find a target, I can get a bettr idea of size and quality if I put it into 2 tone.
Sometimes, not always, I can get other info in the 2-Tone mode, but I've found checking a target located in 2-Tone by checking in 3-Tone gives more 'added info' than doing it the other way. It all depends upon the type of site and number of targets.

FollowTheBeep said:
Found a war nickel today.
That's very good, and I like finding any of the more dated coins because there could be some 'good' 90% [size=small](real silver)[/size] Coins in the area.

FollowTheBeep said:
It's only my third silver coin in over 4 years so right now I'm pretty pumped having two silver finds in as many days.
Uh-Oh, here's where you probably don't like me and my opinion, but .... I don't, and never have in over fifty years of detecting, considered a "silver war nickel" to be a "real" silver coin. It's simply a "war era" nickel, to me, and while it has some silver content, it isn't the majority or even half.

We don't call our typical US Nickels a Copper coin, even though they are composed of 75% copper and 25% nickel. The "war nickels" were made of 56% copper, 35% silver and 9% manganese, so just slightly over ⅓ silver, where are "real" silver coins, like half-domes, dimes, quarters halves and dollars, were 90% silver. Those, those are what I consider to be genuine, vast majority silver coins.

FollowTheBeep said:
I haven't even tried the small coil yet.
You need to, especially in any type of trashy or confined environment.

FollowTheBeep said:
Each mode sounds different so it is like learning multiple machines and hunting styles.
A unique, yet simple and versatile detector.

FollowTheBeep said:
It's a big step from the ACE. Loving it!
"Big" step is an understatement.

You are definitely using one of the best detectors on the market today.

Monte

Monte: I value your opinion and while I realize that the war nickel is only 35% silver but since I find so few silver coins, I count it as one. It will go in a different container than the clad.

I have only a few hours on the Racer so far and still have a lot to learn about what it is saying. I have no experience with other mid to high end detectors but for those stepping up from a base model, I believe the Racer is an excellent choice to advance ones skills. It is simple to set up, quick to make adjustments on the fly, and versatile enough to handle most environments that I will encounter.

The challenges that I'm working on are pinpointing with the DD (both the wiggle method and with the trigger) and determining size based on depth (deep cans vs shallow coins). I'll get it figured out with a couple more hunts.