Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

I'M LOST... BEFORE I EVEN START!!

Number9

If you don't know the very basics about navigation... you are lost, before you even start
That GPS knows where it's at... It needs you to take it to point "B"!

I know... with all the talk about coordinates, waypoints, tracks, plot, maps, compass directions, etc, etc. etc...
makes a fellow want to say.. the heck with it!! If you don't know the very basic things about navigation that new GPS is just something to play with!

The truth is, navigation is very simple... all it is, is finding your way from point "A" to point "B". But you must know the different parts before you're able to understand and see the whole picture.

Most people(with the exception of my wife) can find a house in a town if they know the address.
A friend gives you his address... which is 105 5th Ave., in the city of Little Town, in the county of Bradley, in the state of Tennessee, in the country of the USA. Most people shouldn't have to much trouble finding the country or state. The next thing is to find the county... a state map that list the counties is needed. The next thing you look for is the city, which is Little Town... the county map will show it's location. You pull into the city of Little Town, you look at the street sign and you're on 8th Ave. You make a left turn and the next Street is 9th Ave.... Humm? I going the wrong direction. You turn around and go back the other way, crossing over 8th Ave. and the third street up is 5th Ave. But which way do you turn?
You make a right turn, but the house numbers are getting smaller.. 95...94..93... Yes, house number 105 is in the other direction, right? You turn around and the house numbers are 101...103...and then 105!! This is also called finding
"Point B"!!

Simple..Right!?
You'll have two sets of numbers for your coordinates on your GPS.
When using DMS, DM.MM, DD.DD
The first set is "Latitude"... This set of numbers will get larger going North and smaller going South.
The second set is "Longitude"... This set of numbers will get larger going WEST and smaller going East.
If you are using the UTM system...
Your "Northing"numbers will get larger going North and smaller going South.
Your "Easting" numbers will get larger going East and smaller going West.

So, if you have a GPS, compass, map, and the coordinates to a location, knowing how the coordinates numbers work will help you to better understand this ONE basic form of navigation to direct you to the point you wish to be.

Using a topo map, the coordinates are printed on the edge on all sides of the map.

One note: Be sure to set your GPS to the right "Datum" to match the map! This can be found most of the time in the bottom left corner of the map... an example would be: "1927 North American datum". If you don't set the GPS to match the map's datum, you could miss your mark by several yards! Also know the difference between "True North" and "Magnetic North" in using a GPS, compass, and map.

You will need to know the basic parts of navigation to get the most from your GPS!