Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impact and D coils

Peetjb

Thank you all for your posts and videos and pictures of finds. Have been reading this forum for years. The thing I wonder about is it looks like the double D coils on impact and racer machines are swung very fast compared to concentric machines that I have used for 20 years. And I don't see how you can separate targets well in trashy areas while swinging so fast. I am used to swinging slow enough to paint the target with my coil to get a repeat signal. Even when doing a video on air testing they whip the target across the coil. Does this type of coil only pick up when moving so fast? The other question is why would a company bring out two so similar machines that seem to compete with each other as the racer and impact? Also I am surprised on how many people don't use pin pointers. One problem area in our parks is the sand volleyball courts and tot lots are filled with river or alluvial sand that has a lot of black in it. I believe this limits depth of my machines. Thanks All!
Whites M6
Tesoro golden micro max with new tones

Not my description:

(paraphrasing)

Most detectors operate like this when they scan the ground: They take a snap shot of the ground(these snap shots are taken so quickly that it seems like real time). So as you sweep it is, snap shot, snap shot, snap shot,....

Nokta/Makro detectors scan the ground in real time. So you are getting a continuous live feed VS other detectors where you are working on a snap shot until the next one is taken.

As for Double D coil vs concentric:

The double D is over lapped creating a deep 2 inch slice and because of the overlap, that 2 inch slice goes deeper.

A concentric creates a diminishing cone. So you have maybe 5-6 inches of the same depth all around the coil then goes into a one inch or smaller point at around 8-10 inches.

"...two so similar machines that seem to compete with each other as the racer and impact?"

There may be some similarities, however, they are nowhere near identical. I have the Racer 2 and the Impact and i can tell you, that using the Impact, the way the machine reacts seems very different then the Racer 2. To go into more detail, I need more time with the Impact and there will be videos soon with some explanations.

The Impact and Racer are quite different. For example, not counting All Metal, on the R2 you only have DI2 DI3, DEEP and Beach modes all on frequency 14Khz. The Impact has DI2 DI3, and Beach (COGS on Impact) modes, but you can also apply DEEP and select one of three frequencies on those modes. They've also modified the tones, so there's a bit more intelligence to the audio. As for swing speed, you do not have to swing fast at all. When I'm working iron and trash, I crawl along to unmask severely masked targets that others have missed. You'll see a lot of test videos where their testing targets out of the ground and swinging like a raped ape, but if those targets were in the ground, with adjacent masking targets, it might well be a different story.

Hope that helps.

hh,
Cal

OP here's more info on the Impact (you can find this on their website) and I highlighted the features shared between the Racer2 and Impact:

12 Search Modes
2 Non-motion Modes (with audio discrimination) 2 All Metal Modes (with audio discrimination) 8 Discrimination Modes- 2 Tone / 3 Tone / 4 Tones / 99 Tones / Deep/ Conductive Ground / VLX1 and VLX2

Ground Balance with 3 Options:
Automatic, Manual, Tracking

Notch Filter
Discriminates single or multiple Target IDs of unwanted metals by silencing them or producing an iron tone.

Tone Break
Adjusts the break points of the target response tones on the Target ID range.

Iron Audio (Fe Vol.)
Turns off or adjusts the volume of the low iron tone.

Audio Tone
Changes the frequency of target and threshold tones (150Hz-700Hz).

iSAT
Allows for a stable operation of the device by eliminating false signals caused by high mineralization and hot rocks in the all metal and discrimination modes as well as eliminating threshold drifts caused by ground and temperature changes in the static modes.

Magnetic Mineralization Indicator
Shows mineralization intensity of the ground

Extra features at the push of a button:
Audio Boost, ID Normalization, Target ID Depth Level

Backlight (Bright.)

FD/Save
Easily saves your settings or restores factory defaults.

I meant by racer and impact competing with each other is price wise. Close to the same price. But the impact looks like the ultimate Vlf machine out there for coin jewelry hunting. I'm surprised it's not priced higher.

Don't give 'em any ideas!
Peetjb said:
I meant by racer and impact competing with each other is price wise. Close to the same price. But the impact looks like the ultimate Vlf machine out there for coin jewelry hunting. I'm surprised it's not priced higher.

Having only owned concentric coil machines for 25 yrs, it occurs to me that I do something that DD coil guys don't do, on u-tube at least. Have never seen live dig or above ground depth testers simulate pumping the coil above the target, they always sweep side to side. I most always pump the coil Over the target after having located it with traditional sweep. This helps me decide if I'm going to dig it. Which direction the tone ID goes, or if the tone goes away, or is ragged or whatever, helps me decide dig or no. Curious what a DD coil would do. My thing works on two major brand machines. One with preset ground balance and one with auto tracking GB. Best Wishes.

Like the other poster said you don't have to swing fast. Normal Tesoro and Whites swing that you are used to work fine.
And I am finding Nokta Impact with the 5x9 DD coil that I have been using, quick pinpointing and almost as good as the Tesoro concentric.

Cal_Cobra said:
The Impact and Racer are quite different. For example, not counting All Metal, on the R2 you only have DI2 DI3, DEEP and Beach modes all on frequency 14Khz. The Impact has DI2 DI3, and Beach (COGS on Impact) modes, but you can also apply DEEP and select one of three frequencies on those modes. They've also modified the tones, so there's a bit more intelligence to the audio. As for swing speed, you do not have to swing fast at all. When I'm working iron and trash, I crawl along to unmask severely masked targets that others have missed. You'll see a lot of test videos where their testing targets out of the ground and swinging like a raped ape, but if those targets were in the ground, with adjacent masking targets, it might well be a different story.

Hope that helps.

hh,
Cal

Well said! I have personally slowed my swing to a snails pace in the trashed or nail infested places I hunt. The impact has such incredible separation that if swung too fast in a trashy area the ID's and audio are all over the place. I have found that as long as the coil is moving at all, I get good ID's on almost all of the targets. I have found this to be the real secret in DI99 mode!