Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impact Discrim Modes and VLX1

CCadrin

Yesterday I had an incredible day (1892 Barber quarter, 1899 Indian Penny and a Sterling Silver medallion) in a park that gets hit often. But I also dug around 15 rusty nails. I was using DI3 mostly with a 90-99 gain running in frequency 5. All of the rusty nails registered in the 90's but they were bouncy numbers and I suspected a ferrous target. Today I tried something different. Whenever I suspected it was a rusty nail I then switched to VLX1 and if it confirmed a 80+ it was not a rusty nail but some other non ferrous target.

Has anyone else tried this approach? Is there anything wrong with this approach? What is your technique to determine ferrous versus non ferrous?

Let's all learn from our experiences!

CCadrin said:
Yesterday I had an incredible day (1892 Barber quarter, 1899 Indian Penny and a Sterling Silver medallion) in a park that gets hit often. But I also dug around 15 rusty nails. I was using DI3 mostly with a 90-99 gain running in frequency 5. All of the rusty nails registered in the 90's but they were bouncy numbers and I suspected a ferrous target. Today I tried something different. Whenever I suspected it was a rusty nail I then switched to VLX1 and if it confirmed a 80+ it was not a rusty nail but some other non ferrous target.

Has anyone else tried this approach? Is there anything wrong with this approach? What is your technique to determine ferrous versus non ferrous?

Let's all learn from our experiences!

Well vlx1 not as strong a mode.

Here are some things a person can do,,,not absolutes,,but can be handy.

If you see a target reporting in the 90 with 5khz and 20khz,,,good chance of iron.

Pinpoint function can be used,,,users will notice most times,,iron will pinpoint with broader signal,,vs nonferrous.

Also pay attention to tone provided,,how meter responds.
How consistent is tone which controlled coil sweep location and speed,,,if inconsistent,,likely iron.

Do you hear any iron tone???
If you do,,,be cautious,,,this could be a sign of a nonferrous target sqeaking through,,,wrap signals usually don't provide iron tone,,,,but this process needs to be used in conjunction with some of the things I mention above to make a dig/no dig decision.

Turn on the target while sweeping,,,and listen.
Note the differences in repsonse.

Any mid tone (lower) reporting whatsoever when using DI99,, if yes,,dig it out. Even if only on a 2 way signal.

Cheers

IMO, GEN(D) is the holy grail when it comes to iron discrim AND I am beginning to think foil too at least to the ten inch mark. That sad "bleh" sound lets you know, "hey this is iron". I need to conduct more testing though..