Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impact or Racer 2 for my situation?

Southwind

I know this is the Nokta forum but I figure it would also be a good place to ask this question.

I'm getting ready to start a new project of hunting a local 130+ year old park one tone at a time. I have cherry picked it over the last 35 years with every detector from a TR Discriminator to the CTX 3030, but have cherry picked it. Now I've decided to test my cherry picking ability by blocking off small areas at a time and digging it all to see what I missed. My question is for those who have used both the Racer 2 and the Impact which would you suggest? Remember, 130+ years of trash to pick through, and I will dig it all, but I'd like to know which would do me the best in this situation.

Thanks

I can't speak for the Racer 2 but the Impact was phenomenal in my old park with the 7.5x4 coil. I hit a seated dime at 8" and a 14k gold ring at 9".

Checkout the thread: http://www.findmall.com/read.php?100,2379699

The Impact is a better detector. It offers more ways to hunt with it's impressive list of options. Will this detector make your site new again? No way. Will they both find things you have missed? Probably. If you have never used a higher frequency detector you will be amazed at the 20kHz of the Impact and it's ability to find small objects. Now with tht being said be prepared to dig tiny bits of foil and other trash. Digging it all in a park can be a large chore with many many plugs and holes. When it comes to public lands I personally believe the fewer holes the better. Discrimination...Target ID are good friends to have in a park. Do it over a long period of time if you do it.

Good advice from goodmore.

Yes---Do it over a long period of time if you do it!-----Our parks are being closed to detecting by the day!

What Goodmore said! If you go for Impact get the pro package. It's worth the extra dollars for sure. From my experience with the machine so far is that it will see EVERYTHING in the ground. If you plan on digging everything this is the machine for you. HH! And keep us posted.

If you plan on digging everything, wouldn't a Tejon or Vaquero in all metal be good enough? Go slightly negative on the GB and you will find it all as deep as any others.

I don't do this my self because the places I hunt would look like WWI no man's land when I was done. It's hard to be neat when the targets are every couple of inches.

The Impact is a lot of detectors in one unit and has the 3 f req. I own a racer and deus and I always grab the impact and coils first.

Have been finding lately I dig about 50% less trash than with any other detector I have owned. The Impact seems to ID it accurately from iron to foil to canslaw. I have dug plenty of it to be sure.
Saves wear and tear on my knees getting up and down off the ground, well not really. I did just as many holes as before, just a lot less trash in them. I will dig every pulltab signal I get just to be sure its not a gold ring or a nickel.

But if he's really going to dig everything why would he need a display? In fact, wouldn't a PI machine work best?

dan b said:
But if he's really going to dig everything why would he need a display? In fact, wouldn't a PI machine work best?

I totally agree with what you said dan b.

In a "dig it all" scenario as described, the many abilities of the Impact and Racer 2 would be somewhat irrelevant. A PI detector hits on ALL metals, ferrous and non-ferrous alike, down to the tiny pieces, and much deeper. If your intent is to clean it all out, a PI would do the job. As mentioned, the amount of digging and condition of the grass when done would certainly be prohibitive in a park situatuion.

dan b said:

A PI machine will find everything period! and do this...

amberjack said:
just rip the top 10" s off and put it through the Hoffman's trommel :bouncy:

AJ

I personally would go for the Impact, in fact I have. The Racer 2 is a fine machine in its own right, but I'm finding it kind of redundant with having the Impact.

This is just my opinion having run the Impact, but it's not quite as "chatty" as the R2 is instead it feels more like it's giving you a movie of what's in the soil which is more steady and evenly paced where the R2 is kind of like an F75 supercharged type machine that quickly jumps on everything it sees. The overall effect is I feel the Impact doesn't work you quite as hard. I know that sounds weird but having used both that's how it feels to me. Having the modes that the R2 has plus extra modes and being able to change frequencies gives you a LOT more tools in the toolbox to work with.

I am currently not seeing a reason to use my R2 with having the Impact.

GroundHug said:
I personally would go for the Impact, in fact I have. The Racer 2 is a fine machine in its own right, but I'm finding it kind of redundant with having the Impact.

This is just my opinion having run the Impact, but it's not quite as "chatty" as the R2 is instead it feels more like it's giving you a movie of what's in the soil which is more steady and evenly paced where the R2 is kind of like an F75 supercharged type machine that quickly jumps on everything it sees. The overall effect is I feel the Impact doesn't work you quite as hard. I know that sounds weird but having used both that's how it feels to me. Having the modes that the R2 has plus extra modes and being able to change frequencies gives you a LOT more tools in the toolbox to work with.

I am currently not seeing a reason to use my R2 with having the Impact.

:thumbup:

The mighty Impact.

What can a seasoned person do with it in an already hunted site?
The way the audio, the detector's separation, and the iron tone feature.
All this wraps up in a package where " once you get some time under your belt" where you can actually take the smallest coil and make a very good educated guess how masked a nonferrous object is, and the likelihood of it even being detected previously with another detector model.

This may sound like a very BOLD statement.
But I find this when using the detector to be TRUE.

And doing the above may or may not be dependent on a nonferrous objects ID presented in the meter.
Or, by the way the iron tone works and reports, gives a user an idea of the level of masking involved,,,hence to maybe not render much stock in reported ID.

I have not used the mid sized coil yet for the detector that is available.

Think about this.
How many detectors are available that run at 20khz and can be used with a 4x7.5" coil?

squirrel1 said:
The mighty Impact.

What can a seasoned person do with it in an already hunted site?
The way the audio, the detector's separation, and the iron tone feature.
All this wraps up in a package where " once you get some time under your belt" where you can actually take the smallest coil and make a very good educated guess how masked a nonferrous object is, and the likelihood of it even being detected previously with another detector model.

This may sound like a very BOLD statement.
But I find this when using the detector to be TRUE.

And doing the above may or may not be dependent on a nonferrous objects ID presented in the meter.
Or, by the way the iron tone works and reports, gives a user an idea of the level of masking involved,,,hence to maybe not render much stock in reported ID.

I have not used the mid sized coil yet for the detector that is available.

Think about this.
How many detectors are available that run at 20khz and can be used with a 4x7.5" coil?

This is a good post. The 4x7.5 coil is lethal in trashy sites! I have found multiple finds that my ATP and Etrac could never find. BUT, as you stated that you want to dig everything....This will do it hands down. Here is something to know about the Impact. It has different ID scales for different modes. For a lot of the deeper modes, STA, Gen, GenD, DEEP, VLX1 and VLX2 modes use the 0-40 Iron scale. The modes DI1, DI2, DI3, DI4 and DI99 use the 0-15 scale for iron. The ID numbers are completely different between the scales. I have stuck with the DI modes because of the close numbers with the ATP and ETRAC. Easy learning curve for me. Especially with NORMALIZED ID'S ON. This makes it so no matter what frequency you are searching, 5, 14 or 20 you get the same ID. I have been using DI99 because of the 99 different tones for targets at 20k and this is the best machine I have ever used. Hands Down!