Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impact starter programs

Tom Slick

Here's a few programs to help get you started. With the detector set up this way, you can switch between different programs depending on the type of hunting you're planning on doing. Make adjustments to suit your type of hunting and hunting environment. These programs are for newer/ fresh drops of coins and jewelry.

Tot Lot / Volleyball / Soccer Field Program VLX2
Gain 70, Disc 40, No Notch, Iron Vol. 0, iSat 01
Freq. 20 kHz, Tone Breaks 40-55-80 (default)

Park Program VLX1 No Zincs
Gain 50, Disc 53, Notch 57-82, Iron Vol. 0, iSat 02
Freq. 14 kHz, Tone Breaks 40-80, Tones 15-35-70

Trashy Park Program DI4 with Zincs (small coil)
Gain 30, Disc 27, Notch 33-42, 46-63, Iron Vol. 0
Tone Breaks 15-33-76, Freq. 14 kHz, iSat 02

Ghost Town Program Small Coil DI3
Gain 95, Disc 03, Notch none
Tone Break 15 & 65, Tones 15-35-70
Iron Vol. 01, Freq. 20 kHz

Ghost Town Program Large Coil DI99
Gain 95, Disc 03, Notch none
Iron Vol. 01, Freq. 20 kHz

For deep, older coins you'll have to play with settings and adjustments to suit your environment. I hope this helps a few of you.

Tom, I noticed that none of your programs include the low frequency. I was looking at this detector for silver-copper coin detecting and thought the low frequency might be beneficial for these types of targets. I sometimes used the DFX with the single low frequency and had some success. Not seeing too much on the various forums about the Impact. I guess the heat of the summer has shut down more than half of the country for comfortable detecting.

RLOH said:
Tom, I noticed that none of your programs include the low frequency. I was looking at this detector for silver-copper coin detecting and thought the low frequency might be beneficial for these types of targets. I sometimes used the DFX with the single low frequency and had some success. Not seeing too much on the various forums about the Impact. I guess the heat of the summer has shut down more than half of the country for comfortable detecting.

Using 5khz with Impact on coins is very doable.
One problem.
Using 5khz a user is giving up some separation.
So hunting in sites for example that have been already hunted,,,,using the higher freqs, especially 20khz in and around iron and nails,,,where other models struggle moreso,,,this is where the Impact shines.
And the smallest coil added in for good measure you have a real separator and unmasker.

I don't have the mid said coil yet, but so far reports are very good with its performance.
More of a balance with depth and great separation.

RLOH - I haven't played with the 5 kHz frequency much as most all my hunting time here is spent trying to pull non ferrous targets out of beds of ferrous junk. When I'm not doing that, I'm usually just plucking shallow coins and jewelry. I'm sure folks will be posting their favorite deep silver and plowed field programs before too long.

Here in CT I have run the same but have been sticking to :
DI99 with 0 disc and 90 gain at 14 and 20 mghz
The same with DI3 and DI4. I cant get warm and fuzzy with the VLX modes. Not enough info for me.

Tom
Please help me with the benefits of vlx1 and 2 modes over the DI modes for hunting. As I stated in other posts, I am trying to learn this machine in the 0-15 scale modes first regardless of frequency used. To me right now DI99 is king of the hilI. Is there a benefit to go into the 0-40 scale? If you have the answers it would be greatly appreciated. I have noticed others have been using the VLX modes and were happy with them. I come from the ATpro and ETRAC and find the DI modes more of a comfortable transition point. Any and All advice is appreciated... This is after all about education with a new machine...

Mudwhale said:
Tom
Please help me with the benefits of vlx1 and 2 modes over the DI modes for hunting. As I stated in other posts, I am trying to learn this machine in the 0-15 scale modes first regardless of frequency used. To me right now DI99 is king of the hilI. Is there a benefit to go into the 0-40 scale? If you have the answers it would be greatly appreciated. I have noticed others have been using the VLX modes and were happy with them. I come from the ATpro and ETRAC and find the DI modes more of a comfortable transition point. Any and All advice is appreciated... This is after all about education with a new machine...

Mudwhale, I too prefer the DI3 or DI99 modes to represent how I run my CTX. From my understanding the VLX modes suppose to be more stable on the VDI and some say even deeper. I don't see any extra depth here in CT (I know you are also in CT) and those modes are more chatty as I push up the gain. My overall preference is the DI3 which I can run here at 95-99. I also lowered my break point down to 62 and increase the sound hertz to 700 for the last break.

I too would like to hear from the more experience users to hear their answers.

The VLX modes give more consistent VDI #s and are less susceptible to noise like EMI. I've hunted in both and really like the three tone mode. If you run your gain way up you are going to get chatter and other spurious noise. Try lowering the gain a bit. Doing so will not affect depth and result in a smoother running machine. I rarely run the gain over 80. I prefer the VLX modes when yard hunting due to EMI. Hope this helps a bit. HH.

Dean

Thanks guys! I will have to try these modes after I have mastered the 0-15 scale modes. I'm staying with normalized ID's because I bounce back and forth between 14 and 20 khz in the trash and want the same numbers in both frequencies. For now, the 0-40 ID's will be a whole other learning curve getting used to the new numbers. Without having to carry the chart with me I would walk away from a good target because the number might be closer to a junk target. But like I read somewhere on this forum, "The best discriminator is your shovel".

That's why the Impact is so fun...so many options!!! I hunt with normalized VDI as well, although, I dig everything that gives a non-iron tone, so the numbers are just a rough guide as to what may be lurking underneath the coil and don't figure too much in to the decision to dig or not. It's all about the tones. If you are hunting a very trashy area the numbers will be "averaged" (target +trash = averaged #) anyway so going off of the numbers is risky and will leave good targets in the ground.

Dean

Yea, I go by the tones also but I use the numbers to give me an idea what I'm looking at and yes, I'm digging everything that's not iron. I'm real good at trash removal!! :pulltab: If anything I'm performing a public service in the parks...:rofl: