Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impact volume (lack of) issue

Anyone else having an issue with lack of volume using the supplied wired headphones? I have tried 2 other pair of (whites) headphones with no luck. I am finding it difficult to distinguish tonal nuances because of this. While my hearing isn't what it was 30 years ago, I have no problems with my other detectors.

Find some high efficiency headphones, it's in the specs.

A difference of 3db is like twice the power.

It would be useful to know the specs on your current headphones, on the other hand they sound like they're low efficiency.

Also would like to add that on another forum someone suggested a headphone with an impedance rating of 32 ohms. Found and purchased an inexpensive pair to try out. Same results as the other 2 pair of Whites phones that I have tried. Tried the ear buds that come with the waterproofing kit for my French wireless detector. Same thing, not enough volume.
By now it would appear that I am deaf. I have worked in manufacturing environments for close to 30 years. I wear hearing protection and get annual hearing tests. Only once was it mentioned that I could have a slight loss of hearing in very low frequencies.

I will get out the Impact and the wireless French detector and do a volume comparison to determine what the Impact's 100% volume equals to on my WS5 headphones. Another thought would be to open up a pair of sacrificial headphones and take a voltage measurement while maintaining a speaker load on the detector. (I have maintenance technician background 25+ years and a professional grade multimeter)

the association of loudness, Clarity, audio tone recognition etc. In doing so I also comment most often about 32 ohms and other impedance levels higher and lower.

In the early days most headphones that were supplied with metal detectors, and really many headphones that were available that hobbyists would purchase, were rated at 8 ohms or 16 ohms, and then through the years we have seen some changes where most headphones today in the industry seem to be 32 ohms.

Even discussing the impedance of headphones can get confusing because we might be discussing the impedance of each individual speaker rather than nominal impedance since are detectors are operating mono rather than stereo.

I didn't use to pay attention to impedance, personally, instead I just took my detector in and tried headphones and listened for those that provided me the best audio response and quality and that's what I used. Then in 1982 through '86 the hearing testers at Hill Field Air Force Base in Utah told me that I was hearing impaired and some even said deaf, when I was getting tested for some veteran summer hire jobs. I was so deaf, they told me, that I was not hireable as a full-time civilian employee at the air base.

It was at that point that I started paying more attention to how headphones where made so far as build quality, comfort, and the impedance of the speakers. I soon discovered that there were some headphones that were more comfortable and had an impedance of 100 ohms and those provided me a crisper, cleaner, and louder audio response. And when I used any detectors that had variable tones or just one specific operating tone that was harder to hear, those headphones improved my results and ability to hear weak and / or faint signals.

I then progressed to higher quality headphone especially for the metal detecting community, that operated with 150 ohm speakers. Today, I look for headphones that use 150 ohm speakers and I also look for those that are the most comfortable so that I can detect for longer periods enjoyably. For quite a while I use the killer B Wasp or Sunray Pro gold headphones, both made by the same manufacturer and essentially the same internals, but I then went to the Killer Bee Hornet headphones.

The Killer B 'Hornet' headphones 150 ohm speaker elements like the others, but they are designed with what they call the tank style ear cup. Those are a little larger and they fit over thair ear very comfortably and do not press on the ear.

The Philips headphones that come with those detectors made in France and R32 home speakers. There would be other things to consider such as decimals and so on, but so far as headphones themselves I do not like them with the metal detectors. With any metal detector. I do however have a set of those headphones at the side of my computer because they work really well with my computer for listening to YouTube videos or music Etc.

The only 32 ohm impedance headphones I use are the 2.4 gig wireless headphones. They are 32 ohm and they are not as loud as I would like them, but I also have impaired hearing. When I'm using them and wearing my hearing aid and perch them up a little higher, then I can hear the various audio tones in that better, but I usually don't do that or where my hearing aid while metal detecting.

So if you were not wanting to use a low-end and low impedance had fun, I suggest you take your detector and go to some businesses that sell headphones and try some out to find a set that fit you well, and that provide the audio response you're comfortable with. My favorite again, the Killer Bee Hornet.

Just my thoughts,

Monte

Yes impedance would be easier an easier specification to find on headphones, as generally speaking the higher impedance speakers are more efficient. You can ballpark it with a multimeter.

It means everything, the best stereo I have heard/built used 1 watt 2A3 power tube per side and would get up to 104db if I were to crank it. Since 104db would cause hearing damage by the end of a day, real world "loud" for me was around 0.25 watt. The speakers were 15" and the size of refrigerators. Never again would I be impressed by how many watts an amplifier has, it's all marketing and cheaper speakers (less copper in the winding / lower quality electromagnets used because of the advent of big power), I'm impressed by how little power a certain system has.

I also agree about the liveliness that high efficiency speakers have for the most part.

That is my major complain with my Impact as I dont like the volume from the headphones and though maybe the headphone I was using (Uni Probe) so I tried the ones that give the best volume on my Sovereigns (Timberwolfs) and no better so I tried my Troy Pros and still no enough so I tried my set of Bushmaster made for those that are hard of hearing and have worked great on every detector but the Impact. I was thinking maybe there is a limiting circuit in the Impact so you cant get too much volume for those with normal hearing to protect their hearing. .
If you find a set that will make the volume louder let us know as many of us down have perfect hearing anymore (mine is way off,) but many of the detectors work good for me with different headphones, but havent found the right ones for the Impact yet.

Rick

for about 35 years, and it hasn't improved as this time has passed, either.

In all fairness I know many detectors can provide ample or at least adequate volume or loudness for most 'average' people who enjoy very good hearing. The hear-ability of different detectors can vary with different individuals because our hearing losses or impairment isn't all the same. My hearing struggles with various audio frequencies or pitches that might be different from the impairment you or others might have to deal with. Therefore some detectors with great sounding audio that is loud enough for the 'average' user might be kind-of-ok for one of us, but not-too-impressive for the other.

That's why I prefer a tank-style ear cup to more comfortable cover the ear and block out more annoying ambient noise, and also because my favorite headphone, the Killer-B 'Hornet', uses the 150 ohm speakers and provide me with very crisp and clear audio that suits my hearing needs.

Monte

The supplied headphones I recieved with my unit in May are loud enough at 90% vol.setting.The straight cord is far too long and the jack protrudes far too much from the housing making it easy to step on with disastrous consequences.I am using a lighter pair of SVEN earphones with a shorter cord which does not protrude out much.They are also comfortable to use in summer compared to the enclosed Nokta ones.