Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impossible park with (OOR) coil

sparkster

I changed coils to the small OOR COIL and attacked impossible park for about an hour

YUP we need those lower rods from notka. Changing coils without them is a pain in the booty.

I landed first thing right in the middle of the worst trash area in the park. That's really a good thing.
Now I can find out how the small coil works. I worked the area is Di3, sens 50, mask 10. The noise was
So bad, I couldn't take it. It was like fire crackers going off in my head bone. Raised the mask to 20
Helped a bit. Remember at this setting we are very close to all metal mode. Anyway after 30 minutes
I had to raise the mask to 30. Ah, much better. Now I could hear the 82, 83, 85.and could dig a target
And be reasonably sure it was a coin. Still dug a couple of bottle caps. The most alarming thing is not
One deep target. Everything was less than 3". This an old park. Certainly there has to be something
Deeper, but not yesterday.

I realized very quickly you must take it sloooooooow with this little coil, or you are wasting your time?

All in all it was a good experience in learning. I learned to pin point right under the coil rod attachment,
That is the sweet spot on the little coil. Slow swing is the only way. Ground balance about every 10
Minutes. I dug 5 ratty dimes, 4 nickels, 16 pennies a Harley Davidson knife face, a valve stem cap, a
Complete steel valve stem with chrome cap, a hot wheels, couple of bottle caps and 9 pull tabs.
Nickels are a solid 56. In just grass they are usually 56 to 58.

There you have it. I'm still alarmed at nothing deep. Oh ground balance was 81 for the entire hour.

Thanks for looking, hope it helps someone.

Still think AT PRO is a little better

Keep in mind, your trashy park is just that. The machine is finding stuff colocated in heavy trash. You're finding stuff others won't. It's a superb detector, not an x ray machine. We scrape back some of the dirt and trash however in a park you don't have that luxury.

sparkster said:
Still think AT PRO is a little better

Finally! someone who likes it better!

that little 'OOR' search coil.

As I often mention, I like to hear all the trash I can, or at least all I can tolerate, so I keep the ID Mask set low. I have it 'memorized' in Di2 at the default of '10' which is essentially going to let me hear all metal targets, ferrous and non-ferrous, and I have my Di3 mode ID Mask set at '23' which is just enough to reject most iron nails and a lot of the ferrous junk we encounter ... but not all. I still like to hear that iron which is still at the site I am hunting.

I know the FORS, and Racer, are designed to allow a faster sweep speed with their stock search coils, but I also know many people sweep TOO fast. When in any trashy site, we need to slow down, and with the little coin in nasty dense junk, it's important to use a slow and methodical sweep to thoroughly cover a site. I intentionally seek such densely little places and have found the FORS to be an excellent detector to handle such conditions. In more sparse-target sites I like the Di2 mode most of the time, but when it gets ugly, Di3 gets the call almost every time.

As for finding deeper targets, it's not likely to happen when you're dealing with a lot of shallower trash which masks the targets and impacts the potential detection depth. Remove all that offending junk and you'll have the opportunity to seek deeper targets, should they be there.

Your Ground Phase reading of '81' is close to most of the places I hunt, or mine run a bit higher. I sure envy those who get to hunt mellower ground.

As for performance comparisons with the AT Pro .... as always it's a matter of personal opinion and that means personal bias. I have worked stock coil Vs stock coil on with an AT Pro and FORS CoRe, and while it wasn't bad, it still didn't match the FORS CoRe performance. Then try any smaller coil on the AT Pro that compares in size with the FORS and, well, there simply is no comparison that was favorable for the AT Pro. Only my opinion as well as my friend's, who has [size=small](and is now parting with)[/size] the AT Pro.

I am retied and on my own, except for my dog Rikki and she doesn't mind me going detecting when ever I want, so I have all the time I want to take to evaluate any detector and coils. I was intrigued by what I read and saw about the Nokta FORS Coin & Relic and wanted to give one a try. Then I was provided that opportunity and it called upon me to do some January travelling just to get to warmer places so I could learn more about it.

The more I learned the more I did my best to borrow other detectors to try and find its weaknesses, but in the end, there weren't any! It more than impressed me, it made me move a lot of my personal detector inventory as I fit the FORS in as my #1 all purpose detector. I continue to enjoy it and appreciate it every time I grab it to put to work. I'd bet that, in time, you will come to admire your FORS CoRe even more, and especially what it can do with that 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] 'OOR' coil.

Monte

Sparkster,
In DI3 the machine is throttled back some vs DI2. IMO you should have your gain set between 90-99. I think you'll find your Detector to run quiet even at 99 in DI3. I'll bet with gain higher, going back to same place you hunted will pull some deeper coins. Expect to find some at around the 7" depth strata with good TID too.

'85' in the FORS and haven't had a problem getting ample depth of detecting in moderately littered sites .... when able. That's saved in memory and it doesn't take but a moment to bumps it up or down as desired.

Monte

Hey Monte ! I can't wait to see whatcha think of the larger coil! Personally, I can start getting a sore arm using it up and down hills after 3-4 hours. But then again, I'm not as young as I used to be! Hahaha.

Anyway, and maybe you can clarify for me (us as a team), but I've found that in Di3 mode, anything above 85, say 92-99 on the sensitivity , well, good targets don't "sound" as tight as they do when running sensitivity from say 70-89. Or your infamous 85 :) I think it is safe to say that highest sensitivity settings in the 90s doesn't help all the time, at least for me and my ears.

Your mileage may vary

Bubba

bubbadirect said:
Hey Monte ! I can't wait to see whatcha think of the larger coil! Personally, I can start getting a sore arm using it up and down hills after 3-4 hours. But then again, I'm not as young as I used to be! Hahaha.
Hills!! I don't do no hills. :stretcher: I struggle enough as it is just trying to maneuver flat-land, especially if it is rough, rocky, weedy, brushy, and especially those spots where horses and cattle had stomped it up a bit and now the ground is bone dry and hard. My maneuverability, even with my cane, just plain stinks, and the thought of hills? Oh, yeh, my memory does recall those days when I could, and did, back in the mid to latter '80s .... like a third of a century ago. :sadwalk:

With any larger coil, actually standard-size to larger, it tires me out faster, but I want to work that big guy on our beach, but currently the wind is 14 mph and has been down to 8 and gusting to 38 so far. It might have to wait until tomorrow when I go hunt a different beach. I'll report in when I do.

bubbadirect said:
Anyway, and maybe you can clarify for me (us as a team), but I've found that in Di3 mode, anything above 85, say 92-99 on the sensitivity , well, good targets don't "sound" as tight as they do when running sensitivity from say 70-89. Or your infamous 85 :) I think it is safe to say that highest sensitivity settings in the 90s doesn't help all the time, at least for me and my ears.

Your mileage may vary

Bubba
Early on, after experimenting quite a bit, I settled in on a '90' Sensitivity to save for the FORS CoRe GEN and COG modes, but I felt quite comfortable with the '85' I stored in memory for the Di2 and Di3 search modes. Infamous? I guess you could just saw often 'repeated' or 'suggested' as a good upper-end starting point. I had bumped it up in the ± '95' Sensitivity setting a few times but didn't notice a marked improvement, and often, as you noted, they favorable targets didn't have quite the same tight sound. It was back to my preferred '85' in most cases. I am sure that some results we get depends upon the coil used, the ID Mask setting, and especially the ground mineral make-up and ferrous content we are dealing with. For some, even the headphone audio quality can have a bearing on what and how we hear things.

Monte

Please don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not knocking the Forc when i say the AT Pro is a little better. Remember I have 3 years of tremendous success
With the AT.

As I learn the Forc my mind might change.

The soil here is between 80 and 90. I have not ran the Forc at 85 sensitivity yet. Most of the posts I have read say keep it at 50. I'm running lt at 65 to 70 with
Discrimination at 25 to 40 and Di3mode. Most of the post say to run the mask or descrimination at 10. I'm hunting mostly parks, sports fields, vacant lots and curb strips.

WHAT IS THE CONSENSUS ON WHAT THE BEST SETTINGS ARE FOR MY SOIL.

Thank all of you in advance for your input.

I went back to the sports field for my 3rd rerun of my 40 square yard area and it just keeps on giving. I dug 7 more quarters and 5 more dimes. I'm going back tomorrow
And jacking the sens up in Di3 to 85 and the mask to 30 or 35 just to see if I can scare up anything else. My deepest dig has been about 4 to 6 inches thus far.

I will post the results tomorrow. Where are all the rings hiding?

Monte,
How do you save your settings? When I reboot the machine all my settings are gone.
Keep swingin!
Thx

It appears that I have cleaned the baseball field out.

I went back today for the 3rd time. Found 4 dimes and a nickel.

Onward and upward, gotta find a new location.