Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impressed with Safari

j3cwill

I just traded for a Safari this past week. I came from a Teknetics Omega which I never really was happy with. It is a fine detector, but I have always wanted to try one of the FBS machines so I jumped on it.

I was over at my hunting partner's old farmhouse to give the Safari a test run. We were comparing hits between the Safari and his Teknetics Delta.

I had a solid 37 hit that was showing considerably deep, so I had my friend come over to see what the Delta read since I am familiar with their number scale. He could not get a solid reading at all and it was breaking up on him.

We decided to dig it to see what it was and it was a '69 penny at every bit of 7 inches down.

That blew us both away. I was very impressed with the accuracy of the ID at that depth. It never waivered from 37 each sweep.

I am really looking forward to learning this machine!

to pick out old coins from areas you thought would no longer produce ( because you searched with another detector )......

Bottom line; Its DEEEEP, and simple to use.. Be prepared to add silver to your pouch.

Mark ( ohio )

Good Luck with the Safari, put some time in with it and you'll find the good stuff... It does go deep too. You gotta love the FBS.

Well, I am definitely enjoying it since I am on vacation this week:clapping: The heat is brutal so I have been heading out early in the morning and late in the evening.

The audio has so much information. It is a completely different animal than the Omega I had before it.

My only gripes are minor. One gripe is that you really cannot differentiate a copper penny, a dime, or a quarter. Is that the case for the Explorer or the Etrac? The other is that the depth reading does not work in pinpointing mode. I absolutely LOVE the pinpointing graph. It is so easy to use with the audio.

I can easily see why the FBS machines are so popular. It really does not click until you have a chance to use one.

I like the pro coil so far, but I would love to try out the 10x12 SEF since it is supposedly more stable. I now need to save up for a small coil since I plan on hunting a lot of super trashy old parks here in town, especially around the shelters and picnic areas.

That is my biggest grip with the Safari, you never know for sure which coin is under the coil, otherwise it is a great machine. If coins would read as rigidly they do on the XT-705, it would be a truly awesome detector. Though it is amazing what the Safari will find that XT-70 missed and at the same depths too...

Good luck with your Safari. Although I have an SE Explorer, it's standard tones are the same as the Safari's and I really like them. I too had an Omega and was never happy with it. I can't see what the fuss is about them. The Explorer does have the ferrous numbers displayed at the same time as the conductive numbers. From what I understand with the Safari, if you switched to relic mode, then you will get ferrous numbers, while the coins and jewellery mode will give you conductive numbers. As mentioned in a nearby post by Des D ( Andy Sabish writes in his book) about how to cross save. That is that you can set the Safari up to give you ferrous numbers with conductive tones and visa versa. Don't ask me, i don't own one, but if you buy Andies book, on "Mastering the Quattro/Safari" then you will have that info at your finger tips. That book has been much appreciated by many a Quattro/Safari owner.
Mick Evans.

I have been using a Fisher CZ 6A for many years, its a great detector! But the Minelab Safari is hands down the best detector I have ever used. The only problem is water hunting, If I was to drop the the Safari in even in a foot of water its history! So I keep my Fisher to water hunt since its hip mountable & works very well in salt water!