Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Impressed with the Teknetics Minuteman / Eurotek Pro

marcomo

Not much happening on this forum lately, so I thought I'd share some thoughts. I recently bought a Tek Minuteman (a re-branded, lower priced Eurotek Pro) and it's a better than I expected little detector. And a lot of fun to use.

It won't push either of the higher end detectors I'm currently using into the closet. But I bought it for a family/friends/permission grantor loaner and to keep in the vehicle for just in case use and it's just the ticket for that. I can use this detector without feeling like I'm seriously handicapped compared to my other detectors. I can let someone I'm with use this and even a complete newbie should be able to use it effectively.

First of all, it's super fast and pulls the high tones out amongst the ferrous very well, I dug several coins co-located with nails. The round 8" coil it comes with separates targets with the efficiency of a smaller coil.

It's simple to use and intuitive. Sensitivity, Discrimination Level and Volume are the only controls to set from the menu button. But with the volume you can adjust the iron volume separately from the mid range VCO and the high tones. That's a really nice feature. I can hear all the iron the way I prefer but do it at a lower volume to avoid iron fatigue. I believe when the Eurotek Pro came out it was the first detector to have adjustable iron volume. A power button, pinpoint button and and up and down buttons are the only other controls.

The factory default settings can be changed and the changed settings can be set to stay in memory after the detector is turned off which is a plus. I've run it with sensitivity all the way up at 10 for three short after work hunts, about four hours total, and have had no hint of EMI issues.

Since I like to hear at all, I keep the discrimination at 0. But you can change the various tone break points by adjusting the discrimination.

As expected, depth isn't jaw-dropping but certainly decent for entry level. Air testing a Mercury dime with a moderate swing speed it gives a solid high tone at 8", but gets iffy by 8.5", The audio is not modulated so it drops off fast. The signal starts getting clipped about an inch before the depth drops off.

The deepest coin I found in four hours at two mid-1960s yards was a copper memorial right at a measured 6". Found a lot of coins including 4 wheaties and a '47 Rosie.

It's really lightweight, can't weigh much more than 2 lbs, and ergonomically excellent. Not sure how robust the build quality, but it has a 5 year warranty and I'm confident about First Texas being around that long to honor it.

The lower stem is definitely not long enough for a taller person. I'm 5'11'" and I prefer it on the longest hole and need it on at least the second from longest. Apparently you can order an extended pole as an optional accessory.

Needless to say, like any preset ground balance detector, this is not a unit for anybody with bad ground.

Not that it affects performance one whit, but I don't particularly like the cheesy faceplate. It's not that I'm unpatriotic, the artwork is just too busy and not very good. I much prefer the original Eurotek Pro deep red faceplate, but not enough to pay more money for the otherwise exact same detector.

Comparing performance to price, $149 with a 5 year warranty, I think it's a bargain.

Hi marcomo

great early review and recommendation for the Minuteman/Eurotek Pro.

I owned one for two years for the same reasons as you for use as a loaner for beginners and for keeping handy for a quick hunt. Just as you described, I found it to have outstanding target ID accuracy and it was easy to use for anyone. Build quality was never an issue. Incidentally, I have some of the bad soil that you were referring to. The Minuteman's preset ground balance range, excellent recovery speed and target separation had no problem handling my bad mineralization. In fact, it handled it as well or better than any of the many FTP detectors that I have owned in the past or currently own. In my established test garden, the mineralization is so bad that most detectors lose their target ID accuracy after 4"!!! It doesn't matter if they are low end, mid range or very expensive...... The Minuteman had no problem with identifying 5" or 6" targets. The only other detector that I have used that can do that here in my area is my Nox. I have even had good success with the Minuteman at salt water beaches in dry and wet sand (not surf however). Also, as you stated, it handles EMI very well.

For anyone wanting their first detector or as a backup, the Minuteman is an incredible deal. Add a good quality, small DD coil like the 5", 10x5" or one of the Nel or Cors aftermarket coils ( I don't recommend the FTP 11x7" EMI) and it will be even better in trash and target separation.

Jeff

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experiences, Jeff! I'm not a big fan of the FT 11" either. Never used it with the Minuteman, but with other FT detectors I've had it has been EMI prone.

Interesting to hear how well it handles your bad ground. Sounds like maybe my assumption about bad ground was faulty, certainly in your ground anyway.

Don't know how much difference it makes, but I know if you switch coils with a fixed GB detector like the Minuteman, since the detector is tuned to the coil and the GB can't be adjusted, at least theoretically there is some performance loss because the detector isn't tuned to that coil.

I could see the Minuteman being very effective in the ground to 4" or a little more in those carpet of nails spots with a sniper coil.

Good review! Thanks for posting an honest review of an entry level detector as we usually do not see any posted. I just got my Minuteman yesterday. I think it will make a great loaner for anyone interested in the hobby or for our club events. Should be fun to hunt in the kiddie lots.

Thanks, James. You won't be putting your good looking French gal in mothballs, but for your intended uses I think you'll be happy with it. Should work well also for permission granters or children of same who want to give it a go. Unlike when I used a Compadre for that purpose, no one is likely to feel that you're using the adult detector while they get the toy.

In my moderate soil, it's a fast 6" detector with excellent separation.

My two regular use detectors have about 2-4" deeper potential with stock coils. That's a significant difference in depth but...

The vast majority of good finds I make in postwar yards are silver. And I would estimate that somewhere between 80-90% of the silver I find with my deeper detectors at those suburban ranches are 6" or less in depth.